Feeder pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder pens

I want to build a feeder pen out of tposts and 20' cattle panels. I'm thinking about cutting cattle panels in half, length-wise, for arrow clearance and cost effective panels. raise half-panels a foot off ground, secured to t-posts. I'm hunting on property with cattle, and tired of feeding cattle my deer chow!

I'm thinking I need 6 sections of cattle panel (3 full panels, cut length-wise in half) to create a pen large enough for WTD to be comfortable to be inside.

This is the first time on this property for WTD to see a feeder pen, ever.

Thoughts? Feedback? other comments appreciated!

If your trying to keep hogs out as well that won't work

Comment

How we do ours is take the panels all the way to the ground and cut sections (a couple of squares) off the top to make it easier for deer to jump in. I make the pens in a circle and as big as I can afford. Our pens use (10) 16' panels. Fawns are not able to get in but at least it keeps hogs out. Plus I'm ok eth fawns not able to get in because the last thing I want to do is have one get on there and not be able to get out. That has happened one time with me and I wish that on no one.

Comment

I am thinking about doing the same thing. Cutting the panels in half and mounting them to the t posts off the ground. I don't have hog to worry about, jus cows. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it works,going to put t-posts each 8 ft.

Comment

You might need more than 3 panels. I think ours are 12 full panels so you may need 6 if you cut them.

Comment

10-12 panels is optimal size.

Comment

Half panels have worked for us. The cows will still get in of they want to but we ran a strand of barb wire around the top and that deterd most of them.

Comment

Thx for comments. No pigs, (yet) so only fighting cattle.

@arrowslinger - I like the barbed wire idea, your panels are on the ground, so I guess y'all are fighting pigs too?

Comment

Yes its mainly for pigs. There are cattle also. I had some tall ones and some short on this one. Try to put the short ones where we wantes the deer to jump in but I don't think it matters they jumped the tall ones and short ones. we didnt string the barbwire on this one but did the other and had no pictures of cattle in that one. Without the wire there were a few cows that jumped in it but only a few times. Build it as big as you can. It can get crowded in there

Comment

This for a corn feeder or protein?

I would go 10 panels around. Maybe 12 if its for corn.

I use the hog panels that are I think 42" tall. Somewhere around 38-42" I think. They work perfect.

Comment

10-12 panels for a pen is what we use

Comment

Working...
                      X