Nilgai with a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai with a bow?

So, I've been a firearms enthusiast, amateur gunsmith most of my life, got into shooting compound bows to build my strength back up about 5 years ago after a shoulder surgery,because anything shooting related was fun!And now, I've killed a few deer with my bows, and would like to kill something a little bigger. I've eaten Nilgai before and it was tasty. So how difficult would it be to get a shot at one at say, 40 yards or under with a bow? Or shouuld i just get a gun hunt and forget the stick and string?

Hunt their poop.

Comment

Comment

Wildlife Systems offers some nilgai hunts with bow on the King Ranch I believe.

Comment

Just read that. May be pretty difficult. I've only ever seen one, on a private ranch. I know next to nothing about them.

Comment

I have 2 arrows I shoot, I generally practice with Easton Aftermath 300's, they weigh about 434 grains with a 100 grain head. I also have some FMJ 250's that weigh 712 grains with a 125 grain head, they make my bows quiet, but they have a very high trajectory. Range estimation gets to be critical with those, even at 30-40 yards...I've got complete pass throughs on deer with the Aftermaths
            Last edited by softpoint; 02-13-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

It’s all about shot placement. You can definitely do it it will just take time to get the right shot opportunity. Your aftermaths should work fine my brother shot one with a similar arrow weight. On my bucket list of things to shoot with my bow as well. I have a hunt coming up in March but depending on the pasture we get will determine if I’m taking the bang stick or stick n string. Good luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                It’s all about shot placement. You can definitely do it it will just take time to get the right shot opportunity. Your aftermaths should work fine my brother shot one with a similar arrow weight. On my bucket list of things to shoot with my bow as well. I have a hunt coming up in March but depending on the pasture we get will determine if I’m taking the bang stick or stick n string. Good luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My 2 bows are a Mathews Monster 7, and a Hoyt Nitrum 30. Both have 80#limbs. The older Mathews draws 84 pounds tightened against the riser, the Hoyt does about 82. I have several different heads on hand, 100 grain Slick trick, Rage 2.3's, Wasp Boss, and some 125 grain HellRazors. I suppose any of them would be OK, provided I make the shot? I shoot the Mathews a tad better, but it's quite a bit bigger and heavier. I like carrying the Hoyt, it's lighter, and shorter.
                Last edited by softpoint; 02-13-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I killed one at the old Four Arrows Outfitters place with an Oneida Black Eagle at 66lbs, 2314 Super Slams(I think) and a 100 grain thunderhead. It broke the offside leg bone and dropped within 40 yards. Shot placement was excellent so that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                    I killed one at the old Four Arrows Outfitters place with an Oneida Black Eagle at 66lbs, 2314 Super Slams(I think) and a 100 grain thunderhead. It broke the offside leg bone and dropped within 40 yards. Shot placement was excellent so that helped.
                    Glad to hear another person has killed one with a bow, at least i know it's been done a few times. From what i've been reading, they are tough to kill with a rifle.

Comment

To me that would be a huge accomplishment, good luck.

Comment

I killed one this year with a bow. Hoyt defiant 34 at 70lbs maxxed out flinging a 550 grain arrow. Broad head was a QAD Exodous. Broke bone on both entry and exit and had a full pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                          I killed one this year with a bow. Hoyt defiant 34 at 70lbs maxxed out flinging a 550 grain arrow. Broad head was a QAD Exodous. Broke bone on both entry and exit and had a full pass through.
                          I really like my slick tricks, but i have some 125 HellRazors that might be better, they just don't seem to shoot as good as the SlickTricks

Comment

I have killed a bull and cow with a bow. Bull was 80lb bow and arrows around 600 grains. Original black magnus up front. Blew through at 30 yards. Bull spun around and took a few steps. The cow was similar but with a 4 blade steel force. She went about 100 yards. They are tough and spooky. But, a good arrow into the heart and lungs will kill any animal on earth. Shoot a fixed blade and the heavier arrows. They work!

Comment

I have no experience with nilgai, but in the spirit of encouragement, I'll offer what I've read about bowhunting them. As Bort said, plus fence crossings and water if your going with a bow. Good luck and post the story !

Comment

Working...
                              X