Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What temperature will you put up your snake boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

year round.

Comment

When I lived on and managed a ranch in South Texas I wore mine 365 days per year. I killed 3 rattlesnakes 2 days before Christmas and then when it snowed back on Christmas Eve in 2004 we killed 2 rattlesnakes on the afternoon of December 26th. It was around 40 that morning. I killed snakes in every month of the year. I worked on this ranch alone so I looked at them as insurance against rattlesnakes. Tons of cactus also.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        I wear mine till it gets cold enough to switch to insulated boots.
        This is pretty much me too.

Scouted Hagerman today and it was 33/34 when I started and had my old snake boots on. Snakes may have been asleep but there’s other pokey things out there.
        A man should have at least two pair. One for huntin and one for scountin and one for Sunday go to meetin...

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
          Based on what I'm reading once the temps stay below 60 on average, the snakes stay in bermation.

Or do you hunt with them all season long?
          Rattlesnakes have been out every month and one was crawling one morning with 34°F temperatures. Plenty have been killed in December.

Comment

I don't wear mine hunting unless I'm sure of the wind. I'm not scared of snakes and watch where I walk. That said they are great for tracking through cactus.

Comment

Anybody ever have a pair of snake boots actually stop a snake bite? Never owned any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty much year round. With a pair of wool socks they are good to temps in the 20's. I hunt in the panhadle and we have killed rattle bugs on cold days in November or December. If we have snow or temps below 32 degrees for several days then i might switch out but if it warms up into 40s or 50s i am back in the snake boots

Comment

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
                  Anybody ever have a pair of snake boots actually stop a snake bite? Never owned any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                  Just about any leather boot will stop a snake bite.

Comment

I wear mine all the time. I got laughed at when we were in Kansas for having them. 28 degrees to start the morning, mid 50’s for the high. Friend of mine almost got bit by a big copperhead when he knelt down to check the camera. I didn’t even know there snakes up there. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Same.....cactus, small mesquites, cedars etc etc. Plus they keep my legs warm so I can hunt in shorts..
                      Yep, same here. Year round, for many reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        I killed a 6'4" rattler last year in late December. It had been low 40's the week before. I'd be wearing them year round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Years ago, in January, we moved my grandads 4x4 ground blind that was on a bluff. When we moved it, had to kill 10-12 Rattler’s that we’re kicking it underneath. Something for everyone to think about. Pretty sure they sunned on warm days and got out from under it.

Comment

Anyone know how Chippewa snake boots run on sizing?

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                            Anyone know how Chippewa snake boots run on sizing?

Pretty true. Bought mine at the Justin outlet in Justin Tx for $69. Bought my Danners for the same price at Cabellas.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              Based on what I'm reading once the temps stay below 60 on average, the snakes stay in bermation.

Or do you hunt with them all season long?
                              Sixty and below will slow them down, mostly. Some will still surface to sun during the shedding process. Remember the 2004 Christmas snow storm? Well the ranch I hunt just north of Raymondville killed over 30 in two days with snow on the ground, normally they kill 8-10 all year. Rattlesnakes in our warmer climates do not hibernate but go into a state of Burmation, a semi state of hibernation, which means they can be out sunning during the winter. The air temperature can be 35° but the ground surface temperature could be 75° on bright sunny days, just like the surface of your truck.

Your answer is, wear them year round.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Last year on Christmas Day in south Texas I almost stepped on a rattlesnake and killed it in self defense to save my dog. I wear snake boots year round. Quick story.. 3 years ago I bought my first pair of snake boots and out then in at the gate, went to my feeder and my cousins bird dog jumped out the truck window to chase quail... Rattle and bam.. Snake bit under my feeder. I pretty much wear them all the way to and from the ranch now.

Comment

Working...
                                X