Protein help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein help?

I am going to feed protein starting the end of this month. My lease is in Goliad Co. and I just wanted to hear if anyone had any suggestions on what to feed.

Ther ei sso many prptein feeds and you will get everyone telling you their are the best....I would see what is available close to you so you don't end up spending money on gas transferring it to your place where you are going to feed. Take a look at the feed to be sure it meets the needs for your animals, (minerals and %protein), to me minerals are as important to percent protein. Without eother one you will be wasting money. I would stay with a major brand and get advice from a wildlife bioligist. The money he/she will charge you for a few hours of advice will get you started on the right path.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike Murphey;2351943]Ther ei sso many prptein feeds and you will get everyone telling you their are the best....I would see what is available close to you so you don't end up spending money on gas transferring it to your place where you are going to feed. Take a look at the feed to be sure it meets the needs for your animals, (minerals and %protein), to me minerals are as important to percent protein. Without eother one you will be wasting money. I would stay with a major brand and get advice from a wildlife bioligist. The money he/she will charge you for a few hours of advice will get you started on the right path.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the help. Sounds like good advice.

Comment

Did Tink get my screen before I typed that...????

Comment

Just a tid bit on info, there are alot of feeds that advertise really high protein values. However deer can only utilize up to about 18% protein in their diet. So dont be tricked into feeds that claim to offer more protein than that because you would be wasting you money since the deer cannot take full advantage of it.

Comment

lol TINK comment

Comment

we feed lyseey & eckels deer love it ---have a buddy that has a ranch in golaid that feeds the same--gets it from ag med right there in town

Comment

Originally posted by W-L-F View Post
                we feed lyseey & eckels deer love it ---have a buddy that has a ranch in golaid that feeds the same--gets it from ag med right there in town
                Good deal. I was hoping they would carry protein. These deer have most likely never seen protein feed since we are pretty isolated. I need to use a feed that is going to be very palatable. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Whichever you choose get one that does not have a paper bag.Paper bags can get wet.Protein and water don't mix.Also mix 50lbs of corn and protein together and pour it into your feeder to start then fill the rest with straight protein.That will get them used to the feeder and the protein.Good luck.

Comment

I gotta ask as someone who has fed protein how are you going to feed it? Is it going to be free choice or timed feeders? Is it going to be one feeder per pen or several in each pen to spread out the deer and give everyone a place at the table?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                      I gotta ask as someone who has fed protein how are you going to feed it? Is it going to be free choice or timed feeders? Is it going to be one feeder per pen or several in each pen to spread out the deer and give everyone a place at the table?

It's going to be free choice feeders. I am going to put one protein feeder at each feed station. Each feeder has 4 outlets.

Comment

just a bit of info anyone interested... i talked with a wildlife biologist this weekend about management programs, he recommended having the protein feeders set at areas of the property that you are not hunting, being atleast 200 yds from any hunting locations. this is done to help keep the deer on your property as much a possible. since you mentioned a lease, however, i would definitely have the protein at your hunting spot since you want the best chance seeing the big boys.

Comment

I've heard both arguements on hunt protein feeders/don hunt them and I see just as many around them as I do away from them, and the deer on our place are pretty spooky.

Comment

Working...
                          X