Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    I understand the reciprocity approach, but whitetails are not equal hogs in my book. Maybe if it was for a coyote hunt, we could talk.

As far as allowing people on, we always do, unsupervised. We just need to have trust, like everyone else has said. I am blessed to have my dad living close to it, so he knows what's going on most of the time. Our land is outside of town 15 miles, in a town of about 10,000. We know just about everyone. It's your typical small town, so if someone does something, everyone knows about it within a week.
    I agree just didn't know how bad you wanted to hunt them. May open doors for you for a place to hunt for the rest of your life.
    My dad hunted with a family friend mule deer hunt in colorado after pig hunting with him here, he took him to his place in Colorado as a thank you and a new hunting buddy..He would have done it anyway but was really nice of him. Needless to say he could pig hunt whenever he wanted here. He lived up there and for some reason thought pig hunting was about the coolest thing in the world

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
      Also there was a thread started about protecting our Texas Public Hunting Lands:

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Since it started a group of us have gathered info and one even got us a Web page set up:

http://www.keeptexaspublic.com/?m=1
      Thanks, the second link is incredibly helpful, I have been looking for something similar forever!

Comment

We don't have hogs (luckily) but if we did and someone shot one off the road on my place, I wouldn't care at all? I'd want them gone.

As far as people hunting on our place, I don't care if I know them. We never have anyone that we don't know ask permission to hunt. Given, our area is a little different, with a small population and no major cities within hours. We do have a floatable river that runs through us and occasionally people float it and camp in our fields/gravel bars. Never had a problem with it, but fewer and fewer people float these days. People don't freak out as much up here about property rights.

I think part of that is folks up here know their neighbors. Heck I don't care if my neighbor shoots a buck in my field or over the fence. Not going to get into it with a neighbor over a deer. There are plenty to go around. I've shot several deer across fences or on neighbors. Zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
          I've shot several deer across fences or on neighbors. Zero issues.
          And all of them know about you poaching on there place each time?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            And all of them know about you poaching on there place each time?
            They're well aware.

Wouldn't quite call it poaching when you've known the people and had reciprocal permission for generations....

Comment

To get the privilege to use someone's land for free, you need a personal relationship with that person.

Comment

Relationships... common faith also helps.
                I get invited to hunt different because of my church relationships and word of mouth....
                So.... ya... that's all I got...

Comment

It's all about trust. If I don't trust you enough to let you drive my truck around town unsupervised, why would I let you walk around on my property with a weapon? I don't think that everyone out there is going to cause damage, but why take that risk?

Yes, getting rid of hogs is an incentive, but by itself it is not enough. I actually think that the amount of hunting pressure it would take to make a real dent (either through killing them or running them off) would probably have more of a material impact on what I want to do with my property than the hogs themselves. That means that all I'm really doing by letting strangers onto my property to hunt is...giving somebody I don't know license to go do something they enjoy for free.

So why should I let somebody I don't know take my property out for a free joy ride??

Build a relationship of some kind and establish trust. That's really your only way in with small land owners. With big landowners...money can open the door but they still have to trust you.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    For me personally it is the trust issue. I do not want the headaches that come with "free" hunts. I am the one having to pay the extra for those "free" hunts. I would have to worry about reworking rutted or washed out roads, fires, trash, gates left open or shut by mistake or laziness, shooting near neighbors homes or careless shots, the person I let hunt free now is bringing his buddies(who I do not know) to hunt for free, my time wasted chasing buzzards to find out what is dead, etc. Most free hunts only show up when they want to, not when I need them to. When I find a hog problem, I need it taken care of ASAP. I do not like night hunting traffic on my land since that is when the whitetail are the most active. I do not want to have any hog feeders and all my feeders are in feed pens(except for the one at the house). I am managing the places to improve the whitetails. IME, when someone is paying for a lease they are more likely to hunt it more often to get their monies worth. I have more control over that person with lease rules, etc.
                    Good explanation--both the places where I have been asked/invited to do feral hog control are for me alone. One is about 55 ac and the other is 330 ac. I'm the only one hunting/trapping/shooting them on the small place and the landowner and myself are the only ones on the bigger place, as he had to ask another "friend" to stop who was taking advantage of things.

On the liability issue, would it help if the hunter(s) had a large liability policy covering them?

Comment

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

I'm toying around with the idea of doing a one time hunt in exchange for some help with building some box blinds. Our hogs are strictly nocturnal so one would have to have night optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                        I'm toying around with the idea of doing a one time hunt in exchange for some help with building some box blinds. Our hogs are strictly nocturnal so one would have to have night optics.

I'd help with that, but I only bow hunt. Doubt I could do that at night.

Comment

people cant be trusted. sad but true. also, good people in town, morph into absolute idiots once they are in the woods.

its simple math, added to murphy's law, with bullets.

Comment

I asked another landowner today at Rotary. His response was unless they are bonded and insured and professional hog killers ( notice he didn't say hunter) they won't step foot on my ranch. So maybe that's your answer. And this gentleman owns 1000's of acres

Comment

I only allow very close friends to hunt my low fence place.
                              why?

I let a few people I knew start fishing my lake.
                              Started out it was two different fellows.
                              Problem was they started bringing friends and family. Then the friends and family started bringing their friends and family.
                              A year later it was a full time job picking up empty worm boxes and coke cans.
                              As a land owner you feel like if you give an inch, folks will take a mile

Comment

If you're not a personal friend that I trust I would need these things.

A face to face meeting I felt good about
                                Signed paperwork
                                No night shooting
                                Trapping only

Recreational hunting isn't help

Comment

Working...
                                X