Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done with wood arrows... Lookin for some carbons!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with wood arrows... Lookin for some carbons!!!

After shooting wood arrows for a couple months, I want to switch to carbons. I was looking into the Easton dangerous game arrows. My question is...Are these arrows spined too heavy for a 64 pound longbow? I was told by Dave at Renegade that my Spirit 1 needs an arrow weighing between 575 and 650 total weight and that these bows like an arrow spined about 10 pounds over what the bow pulls. Thank you for any help y'all could give me.

My 65# longbow likes fmj 400's with 275 up front. So no way will I get a 250 to work. But I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 700 grain arrow either.

But release, draw length and shelf cut all are huge factors.

Comment

I have 28 inch draw length, shoot split finger, and the shelf is cut to center. How are you getting your 275? I have some 340 spine beman ics hunters that I filled with salt because they were to light and I needed something to shoot, I weighed em today at the bow shop...905 grains! they're cut to 29 1/4 inches...they fly like really slow darts! Lol I got 138 fps on the chrono, just getting an idea. I'm thinking the best way to get the weight I need will be with the fmj, id rather have a 650 grain arrow.

Comment

A FMJ 400 cut to 30" with 75 grain insert and 200grain point is 617grains

Comment

Also my bow is cut 1/8 past center with a calf hair strike plate. Which brings it pretty close to center.

Comment

What wood arrows were you shooting and did they fly well. If so check out stus calculator to find a carbon arrow setup that has the same dynamic spine as your wood setup. That will get you pretty close to where you need to be.

Comment

I'm sticking with wood, but I have been pleased with Carbon Express.

Comment

I am shooting FMJ's in the 340. I cut them to 31 1/2" 100 grain brass insert and 210 grain points. My draw in 29 1/4", i shoot the same arrow out of my recurve (65#@28) and my longbow (70#@28). My total arrow weight according to the scale is 710 grains. They fly great.

Glenn

Comment

I have some cedars from old south, they fly pretty good but the bow is a little noisy with them. Quieter by quite a bit when I shoot those heavy arrows, another thing I think id like about the carbons is the ability to changes points and I think they are tougher than wood. At least I think they are, I'm new to the traditional scene.

Comment

Where can I find stu's arrow calculator?

Comment

About 2/3's down the page, you will find the program to download.

This calculator was developed to aid the traditional archer in defining the appropriate arrow setup to match a given bow design.  That formulas are derived primarily from modern deflex/reflex longbow and recurve designs based on actual shooting experience coupled with basic engineering principles. 

Comment

Thank you!!!

Comment

I like wood as well

Comment

I shoot Gold Tip shafts for my recurve . Lean Machine turned me onto them about 3 or so years ago. Never looked back.

Comment

I like the FMJ cuz i like to do alot of stump shooting. I just like having that aluminum jacket so i dont blow one on release. Just a "comfort" thing. And they nock the hell out of a target.

Comment

Working...
                              X