Rack Growth and Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack Growth and Protein

Does Protein affect how QUICKLY a deer grows horns?

i.e. if two of the EXACT same deer grew side by side, one eating protein and one just eating, would their horns start at the same time following shedding and reach full growth at the same time?

I realize this may be a dumb question...but was thinking a lot in the truck today. Maybe too much.

As a follow up and further thought...the reason I asked was I always have a deer or two that seem so far behind or ahead of other deer. Always just thought it was maybe a early fawn or late fawn thing but then figured that may not have anything to do with it. Like I said, lots of thinking in the truck driving today.

Comment

Age, genetics & nutrition grow big horns...in that order IMO but that is debatable & for another conversation.

To answer your question...from what I have followed, the nutrition goes to the deer's body first and foremost & then starts assisting horn growth. So, whichever of the EXACT (say twins) same deer gets the most nutrition the quickest & consistently, in theory should have better horn growth.

Comment

Originally posted by buck40 View Post
        Does Protein affect how QUICKLY a deer grows horns?

i.e. if two of the EXACT same deer grew side by side, one eating protein and one just eating, would their horns start at the same time following shedding and reach full growth at the same time?

I realize this may be a dumb question...but was thinking a lot in the truck today. Maybe too much.
        The way I understand it, the antlers begin to grow immediately upon shedding and grow for a designated amount of time. So in theory, if you had 2 clone bucks that shed at the exact same moment, growth and finish would occur at the same time. If genetics and age are exactly the same, then nutrition would be the only difference and if I understand it right, protein buck might be a tad larger than his grass-fed clone the first year, but each year on protein, make larger and more noticeable gains compared to his non-supplemented clone.

Just the way I understand it...

Comment

Thank you both for the replies. I was suprised that more people didn't chime in. So the follow up question would be...

If rack growth/timing isn't affected by nutrition, why do I have some deer that seem to grow more late and some more early? Genetics and Time of birth?

Comment

no

It does not make a deer's horns grow quicker then a similar deer on no protein pellets

Comment

Originally posted by buck40 View Post
              Thank you both for the replies. I was suprised that more people didn't chime in. So the follow up question would be...

If rack growth/timing isn't affected by nutrition, why do I have some deer that seem to grow more late and some more early? Genetics and Time of birth?

Totally guessing, but I'd figure that to be totally genetic. I had a group of bucks at the feeder start at the same time but one shot up a lot quicker than the others and then kinda just sat stagnant for the last month while another was slow starting and then really grew the last month. No telling why they were so different. Maybe a biologist can chime in, but I'd figure the answer to that question would be merely guesses no matter who answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                Totally guessing, but I'd figure that to be totally genetic. I had a group of bucks at the feeder start at the same time but one shot up a lot quicker than the others and then kinda just sat stagnant for the last month while another was slow starting and then really grew the last month. No telling why they were so different. Maybe a biologist can chime in, but I'd figure the answer to that question would be merely guesses no matter who answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                It is not genetics but more the deer's health. The healthier they are the longer they keep their horns, therefore prolonging their growth period in the spring. It is all based on # of days just like a pregnancy. The clock does not start until they drop their horns.

An unhealthy buck or worn down buck will drop his horns first.

We have one buck who is 7.5 who is always last to shed his velvet. He is a big healthy boy

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  no

It does not make a deer's horns grow quicker then a similar deer on no protein pellets
                  There's plenty of data out there and personal experience on here to disagree with your statement.

Our bucks that shed early, finish early. The ones that shed late finish growing late. It's repeatable in the same bucks year after year. It may be related to when they're born but that's only a guess on our part.

Nutrition as stated earlier is one of the big 3 (age, genetics, nutrition). Protein feed balances out the nutritional component in good times and bad. It impacts growth. It's a multimillion dollar industry for a reason.

Comment

just hunt

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                      There's plenty of data out there and personal experience on here to disagree with your statement.

Our bucks that shed early, finish early. The ones that shed late finish growing late. It's repeatable in the same bucks year after year. It may be related to when they're born but that's only a guess on our part.

Nutrition as stated earlier is one of the big 3 (age, genetics, nutrition). Protein feed balances out the nutritional component in good times and bad. It impacts growth. It's a multimillion dollar industry for a reason.
                      I completely agree. That is what I am saying. But the rate of growth does not increase because of protein.

A protein fed buck will not grow quicker then the exact same buck in the same conditions if he is non protein fed.

He may finish sooner based on the cycle of growth, but he is not growing quicker.

Comment

I may be confusing "rate of growth" with amount of growth. Not sure what the OP meant. The growing season doesn't change but the amount of growth during that time certainly can.

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                          I may be confusing "rate of growth" with amount of growth. Not sure what the OP meant. The growing season doesn't change but the amount of growth during that time certainly can.
                          I am just saying protein from a human feeder will not make a buck grow QUICKER then a non fed buck. It is based on # of days

Comment

Working...
                          X