Cajun secret pirogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cajun secret pirogue

Most authentic, easy-to-build pirogue plans available online. Features wider beam (width) for more stability and load carrying capacit...

Ok. I had some interest from a few to show the progress if i did the build. So I'll try to be good about taking some pics and posting up. Will end up being a somewhat slow build between work, the kids, and taking a grad level class over the summer and 2 in the fall.

Bought 2 sheets of 6mm hydratek today. The price for okume wasn't possible to float. Thought i would go with marine fir but all the sheets were warped and didnt want to chance it. So it'll end up being heavier than i really wanted.

So first thing is to try and scarf the pieces together. Never done this before, and this is my first boat build so dont want to screw it up. So taking it slow and steady with a palm sander. Only want to do this once, even if it does take a while.

What would a project be around here without some critics?

Building in the barn, so might get hard to keep everything clean come epoxy and glueing time. The horses kick up a lot of dust. Probably take them across the street to the land when that time comes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

In for the build; Good looking horse!

Comment

I'm in too! I built my first pirogue in high school. Use marine plywood, kerfed and formed my own ribs, the fiberglassed all joints and the bottom. I loved that thing and sure wish I had it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive always wanted one of those. In for the build!

Comment

In for the build

Comment

Ok, so already time for a question if anyone thinks they have the answer. I guess i rushed the scarf glue up or overlooked something. So does it look like i have to cut this out and start over or can i trying filleting it with the sawdust in epoxy?

Comment

From a strength standpoint it will be fine floated out with epoxy impregnated sawdust (goopy) but it will always be noticeable. I would probably cut it out and remake the joint if it were mine.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, it's my friday, I've studied hard every night this week, and watched 6 hours of webinars today so studying wasn't going to happen. So i got back on it. Ripped the boards apart and started over. This time tried with a belt sander and surprisingly it was a lot easier than i thought. Not to mention faster. I did wear down an outer edge a little bit but I'll fill and smooth it before glassing. Took more time tonight and did a better job of getting the pieces lined up right. I marked my lines, and on the top piece i marked additional lines at quarter inch increments incase i sanded over one or more. I didn't touch any during sanding so used the first line to match up the 2 boards. Got the weights on top and a saw horse underneath, so hopefully that provides enough pressure to keep it even and not get any gaps. We'll see tomorrow after i finish my research paper.

Comment

in for this build

Comment

Much better. Later I'll start drawing out the grid per the plans to lay out the sides and bottom. Also need to starting building and preparing some mahogany i have left over for the bow and stern beams to glue the sides to after cutting them out.

Comment

Grid drawn and sides layed out. Need to get the jig saw from my ol man and hopefully cut them out tomorrow night. Going ocer in the morning to tail bleed the cows i recently AI'd, and hopefully I'll have time to rip, plane and glue up some mahogany for the bow stems. Would be awesome if i could get those shaped out this weekend.

Comment

Didn't know you were that talented Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                            Didn't know you were that talented Andy!
                            Liar. Not too far off from my boat rebuild. If i can build bows, and rebuild that other boat, this is no problem

Comment

In there is 3 pieces of mahogany glueing up. Before i left tonight, dad and i did get it planed down to specs and made the angle cuts, then left it to finish curing. Tomorrow I'll take pics of it. The main faces that the sides will mate up to have to be at a 80 degree angle. 3 cuts are made. 2 at 10 deg, and o e to clean up the inner most side at 40 deg. The 80 is most critical. The first 10 deg cut is what makes it, the others aren't as important, just cleans it up. Hopefully tomorrow night i can try to cut the sides out, but i won't rush it. I got a lot done this weekend so i can be happy with the progress made

Comment

Working...
                              X