• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought my first can of Smokey Mountain
    And this is my last can of Copenhagen
    [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bought a can of SM cherry yesterday. Not bad, it has subtle notes of cough syrup. LOL!

Comment

Toss the copenhagen now. Make your last dip the one you last had, not your next.
        Then you've quit:

I suggest going to www.quitsmokeless.org, create a sign on and chat online with fellow quitters. You'll need the support - trust me bro.
        This is going to be a long journey, and you gotta start by making it one HOUR at a time for the first 3 days. You will feel like hell for the first 3 days.
        Once you conquer an hour, commit to conquering the next hour dip free. Once you hit a day, keep it up, hour by hour until you make it two days tobacco free.
        The first weeks is hell on earth, bit you gotta remind yourself that if you cave, you start all over again. After 28 days, the nicotine is 100% out of your bloodstream and all the waste products are gone. From that point on, its a mental game. The cravings will be gone, but all of the mental triggers will exist for the first year off tobacco.
        I speak from experience on this. I dipped a can a day for over 20 years. I had 3 serious (longer than a month) quit attempts. The third (current I'm in) has been over 7 years without a hint of nicotine. Trust me on this - you cannot have it every now and then, and you cannot drag on a cigarette, cigar, or pipe ever again. You're either all in, or all out.
        If tou really want to quit, you've got to face this reality.
        Good luck to you brother. Go check out quitsmokeless.org and start reading. Make yourself accountable to other fellow quitters who need your support as bad as you'll need theirs.
        It was the hardest thing I ever accomplished in my life. I can do anything I want now.
        Go get it.

Comment

One of my buddies quit dipping about 6 years ago by substituting it with coffee grounds. I think he's addicted to that now. 6 years later he still does it. Weirdest thing ever.

I've decided if I'm ever gonna quit I'm just gonna get a can of Copenhagen and eat every last bit of snuff in there. If that doesn't work I'll keep eatin it until I can't stand the taste of it. Probably couldn't do that with a pouch of Red Man. I'd like it too much.
          Last edited by okrattler; 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Subscribed to this thread. Been dipping a long time also. For those of you that have quit, Did y'all gain weight after quitting? I can't afford any more lbs. If I have to choose food or a dip I'll pick the can every time and I feel like it helps keep my weight in check somewhat.
            To the original OP good luck you can do it

Comment

This might help y'all decide to quit.

I personally do not dip and never have. I smoke 2-10 fine cigars a month and that's all my tobacco use ever.

My dad dipped and smoked since he was a boy. A daily dipper who probably went thru a can per day of Wintergreen Skoal. A couple years ago he developed some gum sores that would not heal so he ended up going to the doc to see the extent of the damage. Once there, he was diagnosed with cancer in his gums and jawbone. He very soon had surgery that removed a good portion of the right side of his jawbone as well as some molars. A prosthetic piece was made so he could eat normally, but for the first few weeks was causing him severe pain. He and my mother were at home one evening late when he said that it felt like extreme pressure was building in his mouth. My brother and I are both LEO's are out of coincidence were both working the same OT job together about 50 miles away from their home. I received a phone call from my mom at about midnight that something had happened and that dad's mouth was literally spewing blood out from his surgery site and that she was rushing him to the ER. A few minutes later she called crying and said they were prepping him to be life-flight'd and something had went wrong, and then a few minutes later she called back hysterical and said that he was bleeding to death and due to the ER doctor having to keep his finger plugging the hole, they could not fly him, but instead opted to send him in an ambulance the 100 miles to Austin for emergency surgery. Mom said that they told her that there was a high probability that he would not make the trip.

My brother and I hit the road and he grabbed mom and headed to Austin and I went to their house to clean the blood in-case my mom would have to return that night due to a worst case scenario.

When I got to their house it was like a scene from a horror movie. I've been a LEO for 17 years and I have never seen so much blood sprayed over everything. I did my best to clean up the mess, and then headed to Austin.

My fathers wound site (inside the jaw) contained a large vein and artery that after the surgery fused together. The growing of the two together caused the wall of one to weaken and it eventually burst. It was the largest vein in the jaw and one that had to be surgically fixed. On the 100 mile trip, my dad received EVERY compatible bag of blood the hospital had as well as every bag of saline on board the ambulance. The ER doctor shoved his finger deep into by dad's open jawbone and pinched off the bleeding to slow it down as best he could and kept it like that for over 2 hours. When they arrived at the hospital, my dad was found to be at such a low level of blood that the doctors did not think they could have him recover. The back of the ambulance was covered in blood to the point it ran out the doors and pooled on the ground outside at the hospital.
              By the grace of God and the dedication of the doctor he lived.

Not worth it...it will catch up to you eventually....

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                One of my buddies quit dipping about 6 years ago by substituting it with coffee grounds. I think he's addicted to that now. 6 years later he still does it. Weirdest thing ever.

I've decided if I'm ever gonna quit I'm just gonna get a can of Copenhagen and eat every last bit of snuff in there. If that doesn't work I'll keep eatin it until I can't stand the taste of it. Probably couldn't do that with a pouch of Red Man. I'd like it too much.
                Eating a can to quit is genius. Literally gagged thinkin about it! HA!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                  Did you have any problems with chantix? Did it mess with you mentally?
                  Hard to remember much, but it seems like I had some interesting and mildly weird dreams while taking Chantix. Nothing like the worst case stuff you hear about and certainly worth the effort. It really will allow you to step down from the cravings of nicotine slowly. I think I allowed myself to continue dipping for about a month although less and less each day until I just said that was it.

As for weight gain, yes I put on a few pounds. I'm glad to have that problem versus that nicotine monkey on my back. It sucked to be a slave to the tobacco companies. At least I can genuinely taste food again and I don't walk around with the stink breath any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                    This might help y'all decide to quit.

I personally do not dip and never have. I smoke 2-10 fine cigars a month and that's all my tobacco use ever.

My dad dipped and smoked since he was a boy. A daily dipper who probably went thru a can per day of Wintergreen Skoal. A couple years ago he developed some gum sores that would not heal so he ended up going to the doc to see the extent of the damage. Once there, he was diagnosed with cancer in his gums and jawbone. He very soon had surgery that removed a good portion of the right side of his jawbone as well as some molars. A prosthetic piece was made so he could eat normally, but for the first few weeks was causing him severe pain. He and my mother were at home one evening late when he said that it felt like extreme pressure was building in his mouth. My brother and I are both LEO's are out of coincidence were both working the same OT job together about 50 miles away from their home. I received a phone call from my mom at about midnight that something had happened and that dad's mouth was literally spewing blood out from his surgery site and that she was rushing him to the ER. A few minutes later she called crying and said they were prepping him to be life-flight'd and something had went wrong, and then a few minutes later she called back hysterical and said that he was bleeding to death and due to the ER doctor having to keep his finger plugging the hole, they could not fly him, but instead opted to send him in an ambulance the 100 miles to Austin for emergency surgery. Mom said that they told her that there was a high probability that he would not make the trip.

My brother and I hit the road and he grabbed mom and headed to Austin and I went to their house to clean the blood in-case my mom would have to return that night due to a worst case scenario.

When I got to their house it was like a scene from a horror movie. I've been a LEO for 17 years and I have never seen so much blood sprayed over everything. I did my best to clean up the mess, and then headed to Austin.

My fathers wound site (inside the jaw) contained a large vein and artery that after the surgery fused together. The growing of the two together caused the wall of one to weaken and it eventually burst. It was the largest vein in the jaw and one that had to be surgically fixed. On the 100 mile trip, my dad received EVERY compatible bag of blood the hospital had as well as every bag of saline on board the ambulance. The ER doctor shoved his finger deep into by dad's open jawbone and pinched off the bleeding to slow it down as best he could and kept it like that for over 2 hours. When they arrived at the hospital, my dad was found to be at such a low level of blood that the doctors did not think they could have him recover. The back of the ambulance was covered in blood to the point it ran out the doors and pooled on the ground outside at the hospital.
                    By the grace of God and the dedication of the doctor he lived.

Not worth it...it will catch up to you eventually....
                    Wow, glad to hear that he made it.

Comment

Smokey Mtn Grape herbal snuff is my favorite.
                      Chewing and dipping since 17, now I'm 55 and well do the math...
                      Cope long cut was my last addiction. Last 10 years didn't even spit, or need a spit can. Dipped a small one non stop all day with a suit on in my upper lip.
                      Went to bed with a dip as well.

2 months dip free, I had to change it up for fear of some bad news at anytime.

I'll tell you what though, if I ever get a terminal disease, I'm going to dip my arse off till I die. It is some good stuff. Miss it!

Comment

Working...
                      X