Houston traditional shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston traditional shop

Any recommendations on a good shop for traditional in Houston?
    Thanks

I doubt if there is such a thing!

3Rivers, Big Jim's Bow Co, and Lancaster Archery are your online friends!

Bisch

Comment

Yep, WWW is about it. What are you looking for, chances are I may have it?

Comment

I'm trying to switch over from compound, and wanted to get some hands on.
        I have a long draw 33" so (I'm 6'6") so I was hoping to see how they felt at "overdraw" (don't know all the terms yet).

I might just watch the classifieds for a 64" or something.

Thanks

Comment

I have a Pearson rogue that says 28" 50# can I get a longer string and make it work. Viking said no a few years back

Comment

You will need a loooong bow for a 33" draw length, esp to initially learn on. You will also have great pains in finding arrows long enough to shoot if your draw length is indeed that long. A lot of times your DL will be 1-2" shorter on a trad bow than with a compound.

Bisch

Comment

ya, that's why I wanted to have them measure me up and I could try stuff out.

Comment

What part of Houston are you in?

Comment

Bellaire NRG stadium area. But I'm all over town during the week.

Comment

If you are drawing 33" with a compound you will be pulling around 31" with a recurve and if you have a heavy weight then your draw length will be shorter...you need to start with low pounds and learn the traditional bow correctly and not start with bad habits that are hard to correct....

Comment

X10. There where viking/greater houston archery used to be. Completely new people and they ate really fixing up the place

Comment

Cool, I didn't know about that. I'll stop by this week.

Comment

I've got a 31" draw, and you are welcome to come by and try my bows out sometime. I'm up in the Kingwood area.

Comment

I might take you up on that sometime Thanks

Comment

I am not sure I understood what you meant, but you can not add a longer string to a tradional bow to get a longer draw length. Only one size string fits a bow. Because it does not have a let off, valley, or wall....you can draw it as far as the archer needs.

EXCEPT, if I can communicate this right, the limbs of a bow are made to flex only so far, and after that it becomes very hard to draw them farther. This is called stacking.

I doubt your draw is 33 as that is very very long for traditional....but it might be.

I have about 15 bows here you are welcome to shoot, they are different lengths and weights.

I am way up on the north side near Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                              X