TPWD Screw Up on Fort Boggy SP Draw Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Screw Up on Fort Boggy SP Draw Hunt

We talked a little about this in another thread on this forum, but I kinda thought it deserved it's own thread. My dad and I, as well as a couple of buddies, were lucky enough to get drawn for two hunts through TPWD this year. Neither were big hunts (both just spike/doe), but we were happy to have a chance to hunt together, and also put meat in the freezer, since we didn't find a lease this year. One of the hunts we were drawn for was Fort Boggy SP. I was excited because it looked like there were no hunts there last year, but the year before they had nearly a 100% success rate (6 out of 7 hunters killed a deer, I believe). Now, I saw this success rate, and thought it was kind of strange that they were having multiple hunts there this year, with a lot of hunters each time after only having a few hunters there two years before, but I figured they know what they're doing. Anyway, the four guys in my group have all taken vacation for this hunt, which is supposed to be next week, Oct 18-20. Last night, barely a week before the hunt, we get an email from TPWD saying that they had made a "serious clerical mistake", because Fort Boggy only contains 1200 acres of huntable land, and having too many hunters poses a danger to both the hunters and employees, as well as brings with it the risk of overharvesting deer. Which I completely agree with. The question I have is, if you know these things, why would you draw that many hunters to begin with? And once you did, why did it take two months for you to figure it out? TPWD is full of experienced biologists and park rangers. TPWD conducts hundreds of hunts a year. This mistake seems impossible to make. The most frustrating thing is that, without having a lease to hunt, the $80 permit I purchased that is going to be refunded to me was worth a lot more than $80 to me. Without a lease, I can't just use the three days vacation that I took (and will not be able to cancel) to do some midweek hunting. It's not an option. Thankfully, TPWD has made it all better, in the form of 1 (ONE) whole extra preference point in the category of spike/doe. Which will make no difference because if you apply to several of the spike/doe hunts, which we do, you'll get drawn pretty much every year or two. I think 10 preference points in the category of my choosing would be a fairer compensation, but that's just me. They've also promised impacted hunters a "certificate for use on any state park." So I guess we'll see what that's about. If they want to put me up for a couple of days in a cabin I'd say that's fair, but if they're planning on sending us a $14 1-day pass or something, I'd just as soon they keep it.

So, now that the rant is over... who all was affected by this? Has anyone experienced anything like this before with TPWD? Am I wrong to be as upset as I am based on the circumstances, and the timing?

My father and myself were drawn for the fort boggy either sex rifle hunt. Got the same email this morning. Did not have to waste vacation time because of my work schedule but still annoying. Our hunt is still over a month away so we can plan something else.

Comment

They got me too. I was not happy as I had scheduled vacation time as well. I called Bo last night and booked those days at First Point. If all of you guys still want to hunt, it's $125 a day right now and it's a fun place and the ranch is pretty well open. I'll be there Sunday night and hunt through Wednesday morning. But I agree, I was a little surprised they don't handle their business any better than that. But I had already taken off so I had to go somewhere!!

Comment

Oh and I'll add this...I'll never contribute anything to TPWD other than just my license fees from now on.

Comment

Just go hunt somewhere else....I don't see how its a waste of vaca time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
            Just go hunt somewhere else....I don't see how its a waste of vaca time.
            the other guys in the group all work together, and are able to cancel their PTO. so I'd be going by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
              the other guys in the group all work together, and are able to cancel their PTO. so I'd be going by myself.
              and.....

Plenty of folks hunt by themselves and survive to tell about it I'm one of those and really enjoy it. You never know... Turn lemons into lemonade!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                and.....

Plenty of folks hunt by themselves and survive to tell about it I'm one of those and really enjoy it. You never know... Turn lemons into lemonade!
                I get what you're saying. This was a bigger deal to me because I was excited about getting to hunt with my dad.

Comment

Well thats not good. I believe if they did me that way I would have serious second thoughts about ever giving them a dime again for the draw hunts...

Comment

Sorry to hear this happened to you guys, sucks.

Comment

Sorry to hear that guys. I have been on a lot of TPWD hunts and never had that happen and I know it would tick me off.

Comment

Sounds about like the tpwd I know.

Comment

Working...
                        X