Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
    Good one. Haha

If you look through tbh and figure out who grows big deer you'll figure out who doesn't shoot spikes.
    Exactly. It's shocking that members haven't made the correlation yet, but the people who consistently have giant bucks every year are also those that don't shoot spikes.

For the record, I have no problem killing spikes if you're doing it for meat, enjoyment, or some other reason. I have a HUGE problem killing spikes if you're doing it under the guise of management.

Comment

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
      here's my question on this topic...so please let me hear your thoughts....

I'm on a 600 acre lease around the lake Brownwood area...we are bow only...but the land around us gun hunts.....so who's to say if I (out of respect for what's to come) let that little 8 go this season...that I'll see his growth...or him ever again next season or the next?

And in no way am I taking a stance....just curious. Seems like this makes way more sense in a high fence area....
      How do you know one of your rifle neighbors didn't already pass that 8 in hopes that you would as well?

Comment

Originally posted by dws178 View Post
        So you only shoot the yearlings with the longest spikes? Please explain that logic.

I'd also love to hear about the ranches that are no longer producing spikes...
        I asked this exact same question. If you're killing spikes because you believe they are genetically inferior, why wouldn't you want to kill the smallest ones? Are they somehow less inferior than spikes with longer spikes?

I might be missing something but that train of thought defies all logic.

Comment

Seen this last year and just as cool looking at it again! Thanks for posting again.

Comment

Awesime

Comment

Cool pics. It was sad to see him die. Funny thing I can never put my finger on. I get so bummed when I see a nice buck hit by a car or just die of old age. I guess I really believe an arrow through him is a better option. He will be glorified

I don't like killing your deer cull or not cause I like fooling mature bucks. Why kill a 2yo 80lb spike. When I can arrow a 180lb 7pt.

Comment

I am also wondering what he see's in the 1.5 spike that says it's the same deer as the 2.5 8.

Just to toss in my vote, I don't believe in shooting any buck under 3.5 if your discussing whitetail management. This is regardless of what is growing on his head.

I wish FCTrapper, Encinal or any of the other big time deer ranch managers would do a real world spike study. Capture ear tag and re-release as many spike bucks as possible. That way we can keep track of their growth in the wild. No pens and the same supplimental feed as all other deer in the native herd. That way there wouldn't be any question as to whether the spike is the same deer.
                Would be a great sticky thread in the Management section.

Comment

All you have to do in the Hill Country is head to the nearest deer processor see the quality of deer taken. I have a friend who owns one in FBG and we are always amazed at the age of both bucks and does that are harvested. Something about having to put horns on the ground opening weekend. I was on a lease a few years ago that we got off because opening day two brothers would kill a young buck for camp meat. Didn't want my son around that kind of attitude. We now have a small lease in Doss & my son and I have made a choice to harvest mature deer, both does and bucks. He is 13 and understands it why we do it. Not sure if our neighbors agree but at end of day all you can do is try to stick to your guns what you feel is right. Best thing for the Hill Country would be that the landowners require their hunters to kill 2-3 does before they can shoot a buck as we are basically 6 to 1 on doe to buck ratio. If that means that Landowners should allow hunters to bring a youth or guest to help in doe management then so be it. Even Hill Country deer will respond to good management with or without supplemental feed. Sorry got long winded on this one. Hope everyone has good season.

Comment

Such a great story!
                    Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
                      I asked this exact same question. If you're killing spikes because you believe they are genetically inferior, why wouldn't you want to kill the smallest ones? Are they somehow less inferior than spikes with longer spikes?

I might be missing something but that train of thought defies all logic.
                      Elitism is always good conversation when the guys shooting the biggest deer are also the guys with high fenced projects with round the clock protein feeding and every other thing they can do to not level the playing field, but carry on while looking down your nose

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                        Elitism is always good conversation when the guys shooting the biggest deer are also the guys with high fenced projects with round the clock protein feeding and every other thing they can do to not level the playing field, but carry on while looking down your nose
                        Whoa bud,- I simply asked you to clarify something you said because it doesn't seem to make sense. I notice that, instead of answering the question, you chose to call me an elitist who is looking down my nose.

Are you not able to answer the question?

As an aside, what difference does it make if a spike is behind a high or low fence?

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
                          Whoa bud,- I simply asked you to clarify something you said because it doesn't seem to make sense. I notice that, instead of answering the question, you chose to call me an elitist who is looking down my nose.

Are you not able to answer the question?

As an aside, what difference does it make if a spike is behind a high or low fence?
                          I will answer. Late born fawns are a product of several things. The biggest is an out of whack ratio. Late born fawns miss antler growth time and maturation. A spike over six or seven inches is not typically classified as late born and had the full growth period.(noted by body size as well) Killing spikes is not right for everyone, like the ranches you mentioned. They have a great genetic program and have all but weeded out the recessive genetics through selective harvest, supplemental feeding, and age management. Since I began hunting a property in 2008 we have killed 9 spikes over 9". The property we hunt has a recessive no brows genetic. In this time we have refrained from killing mature bucks or young branch antlered bucks. We have concentrated on doe, longhorn spikes, and legal bucks with no browtines. Our results have been amazing. We are seeing a much higher quality of buck for our place. It works for us. Also I was joking with the elitist comment, thus

Comment

This 3.5 six point will get whacked Friday if given the opportunity.

Comment

You aren't a very happy person.

Comment

I will answer. Late born fawns are a product of several things. The biggest is an out of whack ratio. Late born fawns miss antler growth time and maturation. A spike over six or seven inches is not typically classified as late born and had the full growth period.(noted by body size as well) Killing spikes is not right for everyone, like the ranches you mentioned. They have a great genetic program and have all but weeded out the recessive genetics through selective harvest, supplemental feeding, and age management. Since I began hunting a property in 2008 we have killed 9 spikes over 9". The property we hunt has a recessive no brows genetic. In this time we have refrained from killing mature bucks or young branch antlered bucks. We have concentrated on doe, longhorn spikes, and legal bucks with no browtines. Our results have been amazing. We are seeing a much higher quality of buck for our place. It works for us. Also I was joking with the elitist comment, thus

Oldest a deer could possibly be who's parentage could have been even slightly altered by your strategy is 4 this year.

You can't shoot horns ON deer. You can make more room for others , remove an eyesore or a bully, but you aren't mKing the deer that are left any bigger. Genetics don't magically change for the deer left after you remove spikes. Deer herds have 10 year long turn arounds not 6.

Comment

Working...
                                X