Stickers in yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stickers in yard

What's the best way to attack stickers in yard. Primarily St. Augustine grass in yard. Don't want to mow/bag it. Would like some kind of fertilizers/pre-treatment solution i can broadcast with spreader. Do I need to start now and repeat process going into the spring time?
    Thanks for any input.

Is it growing on the top of a grass stalk out of your grass or does it grow in patch little weedy vines inside the grass? There are two different kinds of burrs or spurs and you need different chemicals to kill them.
    Last edited by Ætheling; 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

You can do that and don't let it seed keep the area mowed well. Also try to wash your mower so you are not spreading it out in other parts of your lawn.

Comment

pre-emergent herbicide is your best bet.

Comment

this is a really bad year for stickers

Comment

Tuned in, kept my lawn mowed every week and they are still thick as ever.

Comment

pre-emergent Valentines, Easter, Memorial day, fourth of July
              Fertilize and water your yard good
              Dig them up by hand
              Attack them all three ways and it may take a couple years just don't give up.

Comment

I have been battling them for the last few years as well. Tough sons of... I have been told over and over that a good patch of St. Augustine grass will choke them out, but I losing that battle as well. My best advice is to walk around with a hoe after it rains, and take them out. I have tried the pre and post emergent herbicide, and it doesn't work for me. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                  Is it growing on the top of a grass stalk out of your grass or does it grow in patch little weedy vines inside the grass? There are two different kinds of burrs or spurs and you need different chemicals to kill them.
                  They're in patches and grow out the end of the grass stalks

Comment

One of my lawn customers had this problem and I used a pre-emergent herbicide--but don't recall the brand. But, still had a few after treatment so I started treating individual plants with Roundup applied with a small foam paintbrush. Just be careful not to put it on too heavily as it kills lawn grasses too.
                    Last edited by dustoffer; 10-18-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I choked mine out but fertilizing very heavy. I put out 400 lbs per acre and it worked.

Comment

We have these. Is this what you all are talking about? Our house sat empty for 5 years and was neglected and our 2 acres are polluted with them. We are able to pull them by hand in the small 30'x40' fenced in back yard to keep them down enough the dogs will go outside lol. But no way could we pull them all out of the full 2 acres. We bought this house thinking we could walk and play with the dogs in the big yard and they refuse to leave the backfence because of the burs haha.

I have read to use a pre-emergent in February/March and again around November but nobody ever says what brand works for our area (DFW area). I need to buy a lot for 2 acres, so I hate to buy something that won't work.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                          I choked mine out but fertilizing very heavy. I put out 400 lbs per acre and it worked.

The organic way...
                          About, Jan or Feb....
                          Put out, Corn Gluten meal.....
                          10lbs. per 1000sq ft..... Every year...
                          It might take awhile to kill'em off. But it works........

Comment

I have been digging them up for 3 years. I have won the war.

Comment

Moved into our house (4.5 acres of mostly sand)a year ago this November. Preemergent applied in Feb and missed late spring. Been hitting them every couple months with killer. I lost the battle in july and they are everywhere except an area in my back yard wher the kids play and we pull them up. I’m going hard on them with preemwrgent starting in Feb. Coach

Comment

Working...
                              X