Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So some vehicles now come with no spare tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Vehicles have never lasted longer, been safer, or been more capable than they are right now.
    Right on Tyrone ! You took the thoughts right outa what passes for my brain. I remember when 60,000 miles had you doing a ring job and 80/90k had you doing a short block, things that are unheard of nowadays. It's just a **** shame that the pickup that used to cost $5k now costs $40k.

Comment

Vehicles have never lasted longer, been safer, or been more capable than they are right now.
      Explain why a door panel these days costs $600 plus dollars? Every interior piece is cheap plastic. Safer I definitely agree with you. More capable? Depends on what your referring to. Most vehicles get the same mpg as ones 20 years ago. Their definitely not as off road capable. The only advances they have are the ability to get more power out of vehicles and add a bunch of computers and touch screen radios. As far as lasting longer... the day I see a 2018 pick up truck still driving 25 years later then ill say theirs evidence to back your claim.

Comment

Originally posted by silentstalker92 View Post
        Explain why a door panel these days costs $600 plus dollars? Every interior piece is cheap plastic. Safer I definitely agree with you. More capable? Depends on what your referring to. Most vehicles get the same mpg as ones 20 years ago. Their definitely not as off road capable. The only advances they have are the ability to get more power out of vehicles and add a bunch of computers and touch screen radios. As far as lasting longer... the day I see a 2018 pick up truck still driving 25 years later then ill say theirs evidence to back your claim.
        Seriously, you can argue that vehicles cost more today than they pretty much ever had. However, you also would need to take into consideration what an average person's take home pay was 25 years ago as compared to today.

With that said, vehicles are built better and last longer today. Heck, most vehicles in the 70's and 80's needed new paint jobs after 10 years. Look at vehicles now. 10 plus year old vehicles after a wash can look brand new if kept well. 100K miles used to be a mile-stone, now it doesn't even get a blink of an eye. Older carbureted engines needed new plugs and tune-ups every 15K or so. Heck, you don't even need to change plugs on pick-up until 100K miles now. There are a heck of a lot more 20 plus year old vehicles driving on the road today than there were 25 years ago. The list goes on.

Comment

No spare on a 2017 ZL1 Camaro, but didn't expect one & actually would have been irked if a specialized car like it even had a donut...surprised about a cherokee not having it though??

My 2011 6.0 2500 / company truck has 327,500 miles & running strong...I'll get a new one in April.

Comment

Yep. And some don't even have a dipstick for the transmission.

Comment

I think that most of this started (minus super cars) when complex all wheel drive systems came out. It is my understanding that for the system to work correctly the same wheel and tire had to be on all four corners which meant that it could not be used with a traditional spare........ it would have to be with a true extra wheel and tire. To save on cost they just came with a can of fix a flat , well this got the ball rolling with the manufacturers since they are always trying to save cost and save weight for performance/mpg's and now a bunch of cars are not coming with them. Also I am sure it was not fun for the designers to design around an area for the spare needs to be.

With all that said I think it should be disclosed before you buy any car new or used that it does not have a spare so you are not left stranded.

Comment

My wifes 2016 Elantra has no spare. Found out one day before work she had a flat. Popped the trunk, and no joke, there is a space under the carpet in the shape of a full size spare.........but there was only fix a flat and a pump. Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  With all that said I think it should be disclosed before you buy any car new or used that it does not have a spare so you are not left stranded.
                  Agreed. What good is a can of fix a flat going to do if you have sidewall separation or a full on blow out?

Comment

Yes Sir, My sons 2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 did not have a spare from the factory. He had a flat on IH37 in Live Oak county. He got the car on the service road with 2 tires parked in the grass and 2 on edge of pavement. This was not in a populated area by any means, very little traffic. My father picked him up to get a spare tire in Corpus. Literally 3-4 hours later when they returned to put a spare on...it had been towed. Cost me 500.00 for the tow fee for about 20 miles. Apparently a SD officer felt it was in the lane of travel and a danger and called the tow truck.
                    Learned me a lesson I did.
                    Last edited by brushtrooper; 02-07-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing the majority of folks can't change a flat these days anyway.

I wouldn't own a vehicle without a spare though. And don't forget to check your spare at least a couple times a year. I've had a couple go flat on me while riding under the truck.

Comment

The reason is for weight savings. EPA mandates the minimum fuel economy and they have to cut weight to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                          I'm guessing the majority of folks can't change a flat these days anyway.
                          As mentioned before, the nationwide commercial comes to mind lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                            The reason is for weight savings. EPA mandates the minimum fuel economy and they have to cut weight to make it.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There is truth in the words of Dale.

I have an 03 Nissan Frontier with over 250K miles on it and I pull trailers quite often with it.

Comment

So some vehicles now come with no spare tire?

Originally posted by silentstalker92 View Post

You are 100% wrong about mpg.

You're mostly wrong about off road capability, more trucks with traction adding devices than there were then. Half the jeeps and toyotas now have locking doffs. Trucks could have more ground clearance than they do now, but leveling kits are cheap.

I can pull a 15,000 pound trailer with my three-quarter ton pick up now and get 10 miles a gallon doing 75 miles an hour. In 1985 that would have ttaken a dually , yyou'd get 4 miles a gallon, and it would probably overheat.

Computers are a pain in the ***, but what they do is absolutely unreal in an automobile. I just push the button on my steering wheel and I am talking into the air to type this message, not to mention navigation and these air-conditioned seats I'm sitting on.

Any vehicle lasting 25 years is absolutely irrelevant, You can probably find a Volkswagen Beetle that's been in a barn for 50 years that will run, that doesn't mean it wasn't a piece of crap today it was built. Modern vehicles will ggo waymore miles than the old ones would, with WAY fewer repairs and maintenance.

some replacement parts are pretty ridiculous, but there's a reason new cars cost more.

You could probably find a 12-year-old Nokia cell phone that would make a really awesome phone calls too, but I'm typing this message on my iPhone which I can also deposit a check or pay my credit card bill with. And watch a movie on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X