Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
312InchMagnum
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County
Default Critique my dog kennel plans

About to build a concrete dog kennel with cinder block enclosures. Have plans for 3 dog and 2 dog. Highly doubtful Iíll ever more more than 2 at a time. I will run electricity and water to it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
312InchMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

I like the first set of plans
Wil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Robert
Eight Point

That's pretty fancy. I like the first one ..... I think you will need curbs at least at the back to keep out water. Will the bedding area be raised? I personally am not a fan of chain link but that's just me. I would go with 2x4 or 4x4 horse panels.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Slope the slab substantially from the "dog house" out to the edge, and turn the concrete block back in a foot or more to block wind and blowing rain.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
philcam
Eight Point

Your storage area might get a little tight. It is showing 4 foot, but that is exterior wall to exterior. Less the cinder block thickness and your interior dimensions are closer to a 3 x 10 room. Add a storage shelf and bags of food, that 3 foot gets narrow quickly.

Also, a 3 foot gate is easy to jump for a dog who is an escape artists. I'd do 6 or better yet 8 foot.
philcam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Put a trench in front of the pens and a slight slop from back to front. When you go to wash down the pens you need somewhere for the water to go. I have used 6" pcv slit in half. It doesn't need much of a slope but you don't want water to stand. Also think about where you want the water to drain to.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
312InchMagnum
Ten Point

So my initial thought was to slope the entire kennel towards the "right side" and curb where the chain link fence is in the dog run area to allow me to wash everything towards the right side...then ill collect the crap with shovel, tractor bucket, whatever...

dale, hadnt thought about sloping from bed area out...hmmm

the 3 foot gate is a mistake...it will be 6-8 foot gates for sure...good point on storage area....it was mainly for food...but i usually keep all feed around my place in commercial food container bins they use to import food in and out of the country...they are awesome...the open area on the back kennel i can put shelves to store other junk, bumpers, etc...

doright thats interesting...i could just slope from the back to front with curbs on the sides of the runs to a trench vs sloping the entire this from "left to right"
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
johnpaul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle

One thing we did not do from the get go when we put in our runs is put in a drain. We had someone come back and do it later and it helps a bunch when you have to spray the runs out. When you spray em out or it rains a bunch that water runs off the end of your roof it just makes an absolute mess off the end of your slab. We got the drain connected to our drainage ditch that runs out to the ditch in front of our house.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

More space for them to be alone/away from other dogs. Kennels with only chain link between pens are loud and unsettling for the dogs. There are many dogs that are friendly at a dog park running free but aggressive at a fence or on a leash.
If it were mine I would put a visual barrier between the pens.
Cover the whole thing.
Slope to drain and curb or elevate the sleeping/rest area.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #10
johnpaul
Ten Point

Oh and while you are doing it I'd just go ahead and make a 4th run if space is not an issue. It'll be cheaper to do it now than to have someone come back and do it later if you ever need to expand.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Also, 4' O.D. on cinder block means an I.D. of 2'-8", which is not much space for a "walk-in" closet or much room for a dog to lay out or more importantly a person to get in there and bend over to pick stuff up and/or clean.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
johnpaul
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Also, 4' O.D. on cinder block means an I.D. of 2'-8", which is not much space for a "walk-in" closet or much room for a dog to lay out or more importantly a person to get in there and bend over to pick stuff up and/or clean.
Agreed. I'd take the internal wall and door off the storage and just have it blocked off from 2 sides. We keep our dog food in a good 50 gallon trash can halfway covered by the roof and have had no issues with rain getting in it.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #13
johnpaul
Ten Point

I just realized you live in LaBelle. If you'd like to come by and see our runs and maybe get some ideas from them shoot me a pm and we can figure out a time that works. I'm not far off South Major Drive in Beaumont.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Use 4" thick block, and center them on your 4' marks where possible.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-11-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #15
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Be sure and brush finish on the slab. That will help condition the dogs feet and help keep t he nails down.
Be sure and slope the slab to a drain to remove water when you wash the slab. I set mine on a timer. Made a piece of pvc pipe with holes all the way across to wash down,wet the slab,on a regular basis. The houses were raised so the dogs could lie on them. Covered so they would be shaded.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
DirtyDave
Ten Point

I like the kennels to be half on concrete and half on dirt/gravel. I would move or extend the runs so they come off the slab. Keeps the slab cleaner when they have a gravel area to pee/poop
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
Oh and while you are doing it I'd just go ahead and make a 4th run if space is not an issue. It'll be cheaper to do it now than to have someone come back and do it later if you ever need to expand.
x2
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #18
johnpaul
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
I like the kennels to be half on concrete and half on dirt/gravel. I would move or extend the runs so they come off the slab. Keeps the slab cleaner when they have a gravel area to pee/poop

I'd rather have a somewhat dirty slab I can disinfect than have pea gravel full of poop and pee and have no way to clean it. I can only imagine how bad that would start to smell.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #19
Storm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

I would perfer the back side to have a gutter and add a small septic system for easy cleanup.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
I'd rather have a somewhat dirty slab I can disinfect than have pea gravel full of poop and pee and have no way to clean it. I can only imagine how bad that would start to smell.
You gotta scoop the poop either way.
Pee washes on gravel the same as a slab.
Spray with bleach or other cleaner regularly.
When you wash a slab, where does the pee go?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
johnpaul
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
You gotta scoop the poop either way.
Pee washes on gravel the same as a slab.
Spray with bleach or other cleaner regularly.
When you wash a slab, where does the pee go?
Down our drain out into the city ditch and far away from my house. Same with the small amount of poop we are unable to scoop.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #22
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

For the inside storage put your door center of long wall and you are good. Walk in and shelves on each side

Concrete outside the pens need to be like a gutter to wash crap and pee down. (long side where numbers are.

Think A LOT about washing crap out. It will be a daily thing, so plan it around that as much as anything. Chain link is terrible for spraying water thru. I would go as large of squares in fence that you can. Growing up my dad had 8-12 pointers at all times. Guess who had to keep pens clean.

Keep your gates off ground far enough to wash crap under them. 2-3"

If you are rural I would fix some kind of septic system. If you are city, run a line to the city sewer line. Cleanouts every 30-50'

Last edited by BrianL; 01-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #23
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

Put a fairly good slope sloping down from the front to the back for easy cleanout.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #24
johnpaul
Ten Point

You can disinfect what you can spray. So with concrete you can disinfect the entire surface, nothing can get below it. Pea gravel has a million tiny cracks for poop and pee to seap into that you can never disinfect.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #25
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

I would use thicker wall steel pipe as well. It will rust bad where it hits the concrete. 2 3/8"x 3/16"
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #26
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Down our drain out into the city ditch and far away from my house. Same with the small amount of poop we are unable to scoop.
Well, that's a little different. I didnt see any mention of plumbing from the OP
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #27
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

I didn't see on your plans anything concerning sun exposure, everyone is worried about dog poop but you don't want to slow roast ol' Fido either. Hot sun on concrete and cinder block will sure do it.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #28
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

On the clean up of waste I cut the top 1/3 of a piece of 6" PVC and ran it across the lowest side of my kennel for washing waste down to pipe that connects to drain. High end of 6" pipe I plumbed with a water vale that sprays the waste down to drain. At first I used the method you mentioned above by washing down then scooping and it got old real quick with 3 dogs. My new system is a breeze and nothing to pick up after washdown.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #29
312InchMagnum
Ten Point

Quote:
I just realized you live in LaBelle. If you'd like to come by and see our runs and maybe get some ideas from them shoot me a pm and we can figure out a time that works. I'm not far off South Major Drive in Beaumont.
im gonna take you up on that! gonna pm you my number!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #30
312InchMagnum
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
On the clean up of waste I cut the top 1/3 of a piece of 6" PVC and ran it across the lowest side of my kennel for washing waste down to pipe that connects to drain. High end of 6" pipe I plumbed with a water vale that sprays the waste down to drain. At first I used the method you mentioned above by washing down then scooping and it got old real quick with 3 dogs. My new system is a breeze and nothing to pick up after washdown.
man thats a great idea!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #31
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Nice setup.

Those are some big kennels -- I would split them in half so you could leave blank spaces in between the dogs.

Dogs in heat need to be further away than a peter will reach.....dogs that don't like each other can be separated as well.

With a pack of lacy dogs, it's a constant shuffle at our place.....(this dog can't be next to this dog, this dog likes to be close to this dog, etc. )

The hallway area may also create a "conflict area" if you let two out at the same time. A crowded dog is an unhappy dog.

looking forward to seeing the final product
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Looks nicer than anything I would build for a family pet outside. But thats just me.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #33
DTala
Ten Point

I built mine three kennels on a 30" wide slab, 15 foot deep, 10 of that kennel. back of kennels open to individual 65" runs. Metal top over the entire slab.

use old style 6gauge chain link if at all possible. A lot of dogs can chew/rip a hole in 11 gauge chain link. Won't happen on 6 gauge.

If you do a run put predator wire along to bottom to deter digging.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #34
txbowhunter08
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
This
txbowhunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
312InchMagnum
Ten Point

Alright looks like Iím goin with the 3 dog setup. Changed locations on my property so I will slope from back to front with a built in sloped from right to left concrete trench on the front. Now gotta get roof, enclosure, and fencing lined out