Working Christmas W/ Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Christmas W/ Kids

Anyone else have young children and need to work Christmas morning? This will be the first year I have to work morning shift on Christmas day (0600-1400) and we have a 5 & 7 year old. Mom and I think they would be miserable waiting around for me to get home to open gifts so we were planning to wake them up around 0400 and let them open presents, play a while then the three of them take a nap before heading over to my parent's house. Then when I get off at 1400 I'd go straight there and watch them open gifts from my folks and their aunts and uncles. Wondering what everyone else does that works tomorrow and has youngsters at home. Am I being selfish waking them up so early just so I can see them open their presents?

You may be surprised by them as they may be already awake waiting for you to wake up. Selfish? NO. Being a Dad? Yes

Comment

Had to work last Christmas, mine got their Santa gifts like usual then waited for me to get off. My wife kept them busy and I think they were more excited when I get home then any Christmas morning so it was actually pretty cool.

Comment

Not selfish at all. They will probably wake you up. Get up early and make the memories. They won't b that age again and u can't get back memories that you didn't get to make. Sounds like a great plan u have. Have a Very Merry Christmas with ur family.

Comment

Up until the last 5 yrs I always missed Christmas due to working. If I was working nights, I would stay up till they woke and opened presents.

If I was on days we would usually open gifts on Christmas Eve. We always made it work around my work schedule.

Comment

My kids are still small enough that if it falls on my shift Santa just comes the day before. Will have to figure something else out when they get older.

Comment

I had to work Christmas every 3rd year in the FD, until I finally got enough seniority to pick that for vacation!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My wife works Christmas 7-7 every other year, we celebrate Christmas on the 24th. Seems to work well and kids don’t know the difference!

Comment

This is first year in 23 that I will be off Christmas. We have done our family gathering on the 22-23-24th and the kids never seemed upset. Surprise them and do everything tonight and when you get home tomorrow eat pecan pie and ice cream.

Comment

Wake them up, my kids came rolling into our bedroom at 2AM last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
                      Selfish? NO. Being a Dad? Yes
                      Agree! Its CHRISTMAS! Mine are usually up before 5-6am anyways on Christmas morning!
                      Extra hour or two will not hurt them!

BUT if someone wanted to argue it & call you selfish....I'd rather be called a selfish father for wanting to share Christmas morning with my kids, then so a hole that has no clue where my kids are on Christmas.

FYI - They are only babies for a short time! Blink and its over...

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think we will stick to our plan of rousing them an hour before I have to leave so we can do presents together! [emoji3]

Comment

Santa usually swings by our house when we're at midnight mass. Presents don't lasts long after we get home.

Comment

Success. Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

Beautiful family. Pics say it all. Merry Christmas

Comment

Working...
                              X