Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #151
Chief
Ten Point
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Polk/Trinity/Dewitt/Washington County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Cat has been picked up and is proudly hung in my trophy room


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Updated pics


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #152
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default



Some will recognize the proof that it is me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #153
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=674056
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #154
mpotts
Ten Point
 
mpotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: texas
Hunt In: Lometa Tx
Default

he does amazing work with Deer,bobcats, Mt.Lions anything he mounts.

Your Cat looks GREAT Trophy!!
mpotts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #155
oneforthewall
Ten Point
 
oneforthewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Springtown, TX
Hunt In: WY, CO, NM, TX
Default

You have a mount to be proud of!
oneforthewall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #156
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

Turned out great!
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #157
TeamAmerica
Ten Point
 
TeamAmerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
That looks great, and looks like you close to getting your cat.

I saw these updates and tried to reach out to him again. And he actually texted me back!! Fingers crossed that Iíll have my cat back in January.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks awesome and worth the wait!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #158
tradtiger
Pope & Young
 
tradtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger
Default

Throughout history, great artists have often lacked business skills. For example, Van Gogh sold one painting (out of over 800 painted) during his lifetime.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #159
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Throughout history, great artists have often lacked business skills. For example, Van Gogh sold one painting (out of over 800 painted) during his lifetime.
Did he return phone calls and texts?
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #160
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

So I had a good talk with Clay about the issues that have been brought up. It is not his full time job. He doesn't really get service in his shop. He has been swamped. We discussed a few of the specific issues a few folks have claimed and there is certainly 2 sides to every story. Now I'm not saying he is perfect with communication but he will tell you up front that he is slow. I got what I asked for to a T. And it looks amazing. I will be taking him another when I finally kill a real spotted cat or a mountain lion. I'm very very happy with my mount. It means a lot to me and turned out even better than imagined.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #161
Biggs
Pope & Young
 
Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Williston, ND
Hunt In: North Dakota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
So I had a good talk with Clay about the issues that have been brought up. It is not his full time job. He doesn't really get service in his shop. He has been swamped. We discussed a few of the specific issues a few folks have claimed and there is certainly 2 sides to every story. Now I'm not saying he is perfect with communication but he will tell you up front that he is slow. I got what I asked for to a T. And it looks amazing. I will be taking him another when I finally kill a real spotted cat or a mountain lion. I'm very very happy with my mount. It means a lot to me and turned out even better than imagined.


If he would ever actually run a legit business, the man could name his price and people would pay it for that quality. Arguably one of the best cat taxidermists in the country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #162
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
If he would ever actually run a legit business, the man could name his price and people would pay it for that quality. Arguably one of the best cat taxidermists in the country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with that. I do think he doesn't want to deal with the enivitabke BS that some bring. Whether they bring a crappy cat in and want it to turn out amazing or whatever it may be. After talking to him I understand both sides. He seems like a very good dude and I'm not just saying that because of my mount. I do think the communication could improve. I'll admit some of the comments here made me second guess him big time and I told him that. We had a good talk and I'll be a repeat customer.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #163
Fishcat91
Eight Point
 
Fishcat91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria Tx
Hunt In: Secret Spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
If he would ever actually run a legit business, the man could name his price and people would pay it for that quality. Arguably one of the best cat taxidermists in the country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know. Will have to keep this in mind for the future if I ever get a pretty cat.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #164
TalonErickson7
Ten Point
 
TalonErickson7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Huffman, Tx
Hunt In: Harris and Montgomery County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post


Some will recognize the proof that it is me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Send it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TalonErickson7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #165
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
So I had a good talk with Clay about the issues that have been brought up. It is not his full time job. He doesn't really get service in his shop. He has been swamped. We discussed a few of the specific issues a few folks have claimed and there is certainly 2 sides to every story. Now I'm not saying he is perfect with communication but he will tell you up front that he is slow. I got what I asked for to a T. And it looks amazing. I will be taking him another when I finally kill a real spotted cat or a mountain lion. I'm very very happy with my mount. It means a lot to me and turned out even better than imagined.
What does he charge?

Sad people don't know how to communicate and much worse aren't too concerned with it.

There have been enough posts on here about him for him to even be able to defend himself IMO.

If your too busy to return a customers calls/texts you are doing something wrong or don't give a shet
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #166
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
What does he charge?

Sad people don't know how to communicate and much worse aren't too concerned with it.

There have been enough posts on here about him for him to even be able to defend himself IMO.

If your too busy to return a customers calls/texts you are doing something wrong or don't give a shet
$1200. I think he doesn't want to deal with the BS at times. Only reason I started calling him is I got real worried when some posted here about it. I normally don't bug my taxi. I don't mind waiting. Good work doesn't come cheap or fast.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #167
Charles
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

That cat turned out fantastic.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #168
Sean
Ten Point
 
Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midlothian, Texas
Hunt In: Texas and Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
$1200. I think he doesn't want to deal with the BS at times. Only reason I started calling him is I got real worried when some posted here about it. I normally don't bug my taxi. I don't mind waiting. Good work doesn't come cheap or fast.
X2. I just started getting nervous reading others comments, then never getting anything when I text him several times over a span of a few months.

I am having a whole different mount done than you, but if mine looks anywhere near as good as yours, I will gladly wait another year.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #169
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
X2. I just started getting nervous reading others comments, then never getting anything when I text him several times over a span of a few months.

I am having a whole different mount done than you, but if mine looks anywhere near as good as yours, I will gladly wait another year.
He had a few cats done in his shop. They all looked great. Mine was best but I'm biased
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #170
Sean
Ten Point
 
Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midlothian, Texas
Hunt In: Texas and Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
He had a few cats done in his shop. They all looked great. Mine was best but I'm biased


Mine is sitting. He said sometime in Jan it will be ready.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #171
doseperuno
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Default

I am glad you guys are starting to get your cats it is about time.My cat was only a rug and he has to send then out after it is tanned. Just shy two years to get cat which was only tanned. Paid 300$ cash for deposit completed job 500$. Did not refund any deposit. Little high for tanning bobcat that he was going to make a rug. He also left message on my phone 11/14/16 that my cat was at rugmaker and would be ready at Thanksgiving. I still have that message.He told me story's then and on a later phone call. Pickup tamed 4/13/17. Took it to rugmaker she did a a great job. He does great work when he works but be ready for long waits and story's.
doseperuno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 11:23 PM   #172
guybrush
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Does anyone know how to get in contact with Clay?

After he stopped answering calls/texts he was still responding on facebook messenger for a while, but now he has deleted his taxidermy business page on facebook and I have no way remaining to contact him... He has had my cat for over 3 years now.
guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #173
Regular7
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
Does anyone know how to get in contact with Clay?

After he stopped answering calls/texts he was still responding on facebook messenger for a while, but now he has deleted his taxidermy business page on facebook and I have no way remaining to contact him... He has had my cat for over 3 years now.
Your best bet is going to be to show up on his doorstep in person
Regular7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #174
LHPanther
Eight Point
 
LHPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Weatherford, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular7 View Post
Your best bet is going to be to show up on his doorstep in person
This ^
My buddies have all had to go to his shop to pick with their antlers. My skull mount was nowhere to be found when they went :/
LHPanther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #175
guybrush
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Thanks... disappointing, this was my first bobcat, and probably the only one I'll ever get close enough to shoot with a bow.

If I knew he would actually get around to it I wouldn't mind waiting that much, but at this point I'm pretty worried, could someone PM me his address?
guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #176
WT
Ten Point
 
WT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 77462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Clay called me about a week ago out of the blue and I thought it was pretty good timing with this thread. He was about to get started on mine and said it should be completed in short order so I dropped a check in the mail the next day. I'll post up pics when it's here.
Update on this from TWO years ago:

I mailed the check to the address he gave me when I dropped the cat off and it was returned about two weeks later. I called, no answer. Texted, no reply. I even went so far as creating an account on taxi.net just to talk to the guy and get a good mailing address so I could get him paid. No response.

I talked to a taxidermist friend and he said Clay moved down the road a ways but didn't know where. Good luck guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
WT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #177
Calfroper81
Eight Point
 
Calfroper81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Hempstead
Hunt In: Hempstead & Mexia
Default

This guy sounds like a really POS. No way to run a business. I don’t care how good people say he is. Word of mouth with bring you business and will also put you out of business
Calfroper81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #178
Raypo
Pope & Young
 
Raypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Azle, TX
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Never said that. If anything, Clay is more trusting than anyone since he's never asked for a penny. I get what you're saying though. Having said that, I offered to pay in full when I dropped it off and he wouldn't let me. I can't speak on his customer service but I've seen his work in person and it really is second to none.
Not sure I buy that... I donít care about money when Iím taking an animal to a taxidermist, I care about the animal. Honest is simply doing what you say.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #179
WT
Ten Point
 
WT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 77462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
Not sure I buy that... I donít care about money when Iím taking an animal to a taxidermist, I care about the animal. Honest is simply doing what you say.
Buy what? That he was more trusting, or that I offered to pay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
WT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #180
Raypo
Pope & Young
 
Raypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Azle, TX
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Buy what? That he was more trusting, or that I offered to pay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Just simply that he is trusting. I have no experience with the guy. I have been down this path in the past with taxidermest. Sucks...
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #181
Texastaxi
Pope & Young
 
Texastaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West of Houston
Hunt In: now accepting invitations!
Default

It saddens me to hear, that a man with such talent has fallen into such a rut. It happens to everyone from time to time, in some degree. I just hope he can pull it together before his taxidermy business is destroyed.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #182
WT
Ten Point
 
WT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 77462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
Just simply that he is trusting. I have no experience with the guy. I have been down this path in the past with taxidermest. Sucks...
I agree. A man's word and a handshake should mean something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
WT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #183
aggieman08
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default

Chief, you ever get your bobcat?
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #184
BDH
Four Point
 
BDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

If he has moved and someone finds out where, PM me the info. He has a something of mine that I need to get.
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #185
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young
 
Atfulldraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hill Country
Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfroper81 View Post
This guy sounds like a really POS. No way to run a business. I donít care how good people say he is. Word of mouth with bring you business and will also put you out of business
right.

He may be a savant when it comes to mounting cats, but I'll never deal with an idiot (again) just to get what I want when it comes to taxidermy.

I learned my lesson the hard way dealing with that moron that owned Bird Works, Matt Smith.

What a complete psycho and a slacker....took him four years to get a turkey mount done for me. When he did answer the phone, he had every excuse in the book.

It's simply not worth it for me to deal with someone like that in my life.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #186
WCB
Pope & Young
 
WCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
right.

He may be a savant when it comes to mounting cats, but I'll never deal with an idiot (again) just to get what I want when it comes to taxidermy.

I learned my lesson the hard way dealing with that moron that owned Bird Works, Matt Smith.

What a complete psycho and a slacker....took him four years to get a turkey mount done for me. When he did answer the phone, he had every excuse in the book.

It's simply not worth it for me to deal with someone like that in my life.
At my age I don't have 4 years to wait...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #187
Chief
Ten Point
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Polk/Trinity/Dewitt/Washington County
Default

Heís a Thief in my book, he wonít even answer my calls or return a text
Took my deposit and my cat and ran



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #188
Jmh05
Pope & Young
 
Jmh05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceg3s View Post
If you find a taxidermist that can finish a job within 6 month and does quality work, let me know. Sounds like a unicorn.
Also, if one is taking longer than 12 months, heís not charging enough or doesnít have enough help in his shop.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #189
Mud Shark
Ten Point
 
Mud Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fate, TX
Hunt In: Randolph, Co IL
Default

Does anyone have a good way to get intouch with Clay yet?
the number i have for him is no longer working.
He's got my deposit and since 2015/2016 and can't get in touch with him.
Mud Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #190
Sean
Ten Point
 
Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midlothian, Texas
Hunt In: Texas and Oklahoma
Default

Last communication I had from him was December 13 2017. Said my cat would be done first week of January. Guess his number been disconnected, cant get a hold of him now.


I am at the point that I would just like my money back, F the cat and Clay.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #191
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties
Default

Looking at Falls county appraisal district he still lives where his shop is, maybe pay him a visit sometime?
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #192
BDH
Four Point
 
BDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

I guess I'm just gonna make the drive down there.
BDH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com