No announcement yet.

SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok ok. I am here. Let’s get this place going again. The Facebook crowd are the new kids. Us old guys still look at this site. But I do troll the other just for kicks. Still have not had a chance to sit in the forest. Been working six days a week now for some time. But I am starting to take my days off again. Can’t baby sit these guys forever. Trying to decide if we hunt the forest this weekend. Or go to brownwood. Or go to Texas archery for Vegas practice. It’s all up in the air now.

Comment

Haven't been on in awhile but thought I would put up a update sense deer sightings have gone up for me . I saw 11 deer Tuesday evening all hammering acorns all does with a small 6 point in the mix . I live pretty close to the sam and on my way to the house saw a nice buck locked up on a Doe .so it looks good for tommarow I will be hunting tommarow evening and will post if i see anything

Comment

Hi, I'm new, glad to meet y'all!

NOT!

Weather has been crap lately. Not seeing many deer in my area. I need to venture out and hunt some new areas, but I never seem to have enough time.
        A buddy of mine went to a spot we've hunted. Hiked 2.5 miles in to an oak flat, in pitch darkness and some guy started screaming and cussing at him. No courtesy light flash, nothing, just cussing. So he ( not knowing where this guy is) looked at his GPS to head to another spot and he cussed him again( for standing there)

He went to his back up spot and was cussed again by another Hunter.

He decided to head home and was hiking out when it became grey light. He thought he might just sit down and wait for daylight so he didn't get shot.
        Big fat doe comes walking by and he punched his doe tag.
        Tagged, quartered and packed out and at the truck by 8:30 am.
        God works in mysterious ways.

He had texted me all morning about what was going on.
        I told him, God was going to shine upon him....and he did.

I was fishing at the time, so I don't have any hunting reports. I'm thinking about going this Sunday, but I'm not sure. I do have an invite to shoot a doe on private land. Might consider that.

Might go fishing again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to find new spots, this year has been brutal

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
            Hi, I'm new, glad to meet y'all!

NOT!

Weather has been crap lately. Not seeing many deer in my area. I need to venture out and hunt some new areas, but I never seem to have enough time.
            A buddy of mine went to a spot we've hunted. Hiked 2.5 miles in to an oak flat, in pitch darkness and some guy started screaming and cussing at him. No courtesy light flash, nothing, just cussing. So he ( not knowing where this guy is) looked at his GPS to head to another spot and he cussed him again( for standing there)

He went to his back up spot and was cussed again by another Hunter.

He decided to head home and was hiking out when it became grey light. He thought he might just sit down and wait for daylight so he didn't get shot.
            Big fat doe comes walking by and he punched his doe tag.
            Tagged, quartered and packed out and at the truck by 8:30 am.
            God works in mysterious ways.

He had texted me all morning about what was going on.
            I told him, God was going to shine upon him....and he did.

I was fishing at the time, so I don't have any hunting reports. I'm thinking about going this Sunday, but I'm not sure. I do have an invite to shoot a doe on private land. Might consider that.

Might go fishing again.

Man that shame to be treated like that, sure buddy wasn't aware someone was already in area ( simple hey or shine lite to let him know). Bet the anti-hunters enjoying us getting on each other. As fellow hunters we need to give each other respect and hunter courtesy allow us to relocate. Since it wasn't legal shooting time, no reason for fowl language...for all that butthead knew, your friend was passing thru.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

For those hunters who been cussed at, badmouth for passing thru area [to their spot] on public lands. Stay the course as this weather been mad crazy for us good hunters who give courtesy to others. Good deer in the SAM. 1st deer early archery, last one last weekday [yes had orange off for camera op (pic before shows me wearing).
              No wonder I like archery better, some of my fellow hunters (guns ) can become real arse out in woods. No need to cuss out someone for walking thru area on way to their stand sit. Be safe and respectfull.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Word is blood has been spilt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                  Word is blood has been spilt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                  Really, who's the lucky hunter?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

I know who, but I'll let him have his glory.

Congrats early....here that is.

Comment

Tiberius, you killed both that giant and that spike in the Sam?! That’s a huge buck!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                        Really, who's the lucky hunter?

Me! Let me skin this thing and I’ll post pics and the story. Punch line is: he’s not a giant.

Comment

So at 8 am this morning, I had a doe duck my arrow at 47 yds. Clean miss. Oh well, part of bowhunting. At 9:30, I hear something else coming from the same thick woods behind me. Another deer comes out from the same place (around 52 yds) from the thick stuff. Pull up binos and see antlers. Watched him for 5 mins while he walked slowly across this opening and then walked into some more thick stuff. I could see he was outside the ears but I wanted a closer look. So with bow in hand, I picked up my grunt call and grunted 6-7 short grunts. DUDE! He made it from 100 yds to 30 yds in a matter of one second!! I drew back slow while hes still walking in front of me, he stops, turns and starts walking DIRECTLY to me. Stops and looks up at me at 18 yds (I'm 30' up so don't tell me they can't see orange!) and I let the arrow fly. Snuck it right between his lower neck and shoulder blade and he ran off and all I see is fletchings sticking out. As you can see, it came out his stomach. Ran 55-60 yds. First time I've ever tore up a Muzzy too. Must've hit all kinds of bone. 13.25" exactly. Overall, good day in the Sam. Public land buck with a bow and even though he's not a giant, I'm happy.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                            So at 8 am this morning, I had a doe duck my arrow at 47 yds. Clean miss. Oh well, part of bowhunting. At 9:30, I hear something else coming from the same thick woods behind me. Another deer comes out from the same place (around 52 yds) from the thick stuff. Pull up binos and see antlers. Watched him for 5 mins while he walked slowly across this opening and then walked into some more thick stuff. I could see he was outside the ears but I wanted a closer look. So with bow in hand, I picked up my grunt call and grunted 6-7 short grunts. DUDE! He made it from 100 yds to 30 yds in a matter of one second!! I drew back slow while hes still walking in front of me, he stops, turns and starts walking DIRECTLY to me. Stops and looks up at me at 18 yds (I'm 30' up so don't tell me they can't see orange!) and I let the arrow fly. Snuck it right between his lower neck and shoulder blade and he ran off and all I see is fletchings sticking out. As you can see, it came out his stomach. Ran 55-60 yds. First time I've ever tore up a Muzzy too. Must've hit all kinds of bone. 13.25" exactly. Overall, good day in the Sam. Public land buck with a bow and even though he's not a giant, I'm happy.
                            Great buck! Way to go, Lee!!!

Comment

Awesome job puddin pop

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                                Any public land buck is a giant, congrats. Anyways, now that the last buck in the Sam is dead, time to go fishing

Comment

Working...
                                X