Still Dreaming! (Long Read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Dreaming! (Long Read)

First off, 2014 has by far and above been my most memorable year to date. I was blessed enough to tag two of my biggest bucks to date, got engaged to the most wonderful girl in the whole world, and fared very well sticking 3D targets across the states. But, starting off the year, I had one thing I really wanted to accomplish, which was putting a check on my bucket list next to the Red Stag column. I've been fortunate to be able to have harvested a hind and a management stag in the past, but have always dreamed of shooting a big bull. So, I finally decided this was going to be the year to go after that dream and figured I was a couple years late anyhow on giving myself a college graduation gift so I thought what could be better than a hunting trip!
    After extensive searches across the internet and coming up empty really on what I was looking for, while at the Texas Hill Country Shoot in Vanderpool, Tx at the Bug Scuffle Ranch, a good friend told me about the some red deer he had seen while hunting the ranch and how big they were. The ranch itself had already took hold of me with its shear beauty like I'd never imagined seeing in the Texas "Hill" country, because the hills were more like the foothills of the Rockies out in New Mexico. But, when he got to talking about how big they were, it really sparked my attention. One thing led to another, and a few conversations later, I was booked to head down to the ranch the first part of October to see if I could get an arrow in a big bull!
    Throughout the summer, I can't begin to say how many times I thought about chasing stags and how badly I wanted to stick one! Literally a thousand times over on practice bags at the house and on 3D targets everywhere I went, I imagined it being "The Shot" on a big ol stag. Then it REALLY got under my skin and took over all my thoughts when I saw the first trail cam pictures. To say I was in awe would be an understatement. I looked at the pictures daily, and many nights would dream about the big bull from the pictures. October DEFINITELY couldn't get here fast enough!!!

Well, gotta get up really in the morning so I better call it a night! Will continue on tomorrow...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419743652.033462.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	24354444

Comment

October finally rolled around and I could not have been more excited! The stags were in full rut and roaring which was exactly what I'd hoped for when making plans to head down for the hunt. Upon arriving, hunting guru and ranch manager Bryan let me in on what had been going on and what kind of game plans he had up his sleeve. I brought both my longbow and compound with me not knowing really what to exempt with the hunt, but really wanted a chance at sticking one with the ol stick bow! The first day Bryan put this flat lander to the test going up and down the mountains an canyons calling, listening, and glassing, but didn't have any luck other than having one stag crash away through the cedars as we were heading back to the truck, but didn't get our eyes on him to see what he was for sure.
      The next day brought on roaring throughout the morning and a sighting of a single stag. Although he was a respectable bull, one of his crown points was missing so I decided to let him do his thing and watched him from afar for a while.

That evening, I set up in an area where most of the roaring had taken place and where Bryan had seen a few stags while glassing. Was lucky enough to be close to where a few were and really get to hear them let loose calling, but nothing was spotted. From here, things changed. The weather got extremely hot and the stag all but vanished off the face of the earth. No roaring, no new tracks on the road and no sign of them anywhere. Bryan and I persisted on and he kept my spirits up, but unfortunately my trip had come to an end without the stag of my dreams. Before leaving, I already was putting my name down in the books to make a return trip next year and hopefully catch them in the middle of the rut.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419812805.572640.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	24354515
      Bryan glassing across the mountains and through the canyons.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419812855.988375.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	24354517

Fast forward to December. I got a message from Bryan saying the stags had reappeared and he was starting to see them on a regular basis hitting protein and alfalfa down in the main valley of the ranch and if I could break free, I should try to make it back down for another try. At first I was absolutely wanting to go, but I didn't know with my work schedule if I could break free to make it down to the ranch again. As luck would have it, I was able to finagle my schedule around and get a few days off! After confirming dates with Bryan, I was back on again and going to see if I could get a bull on the ground!
      The day finally arrived, an as soon as I got off work I went home and packed, then drove all night to make it in time for the morning hunt. When Bryan arrived at the cabin that morning to pick me up for the morning's hunt, the expression on his face said it all. He had seen a group of bulls on his way out to come get me so we planned on driving up the mountains above to look down in the valley and see which way they were going to go and possibly get in a position to get ahead of them on their way back to bed down for the day along the mountainside. Unfortunately, plans didn't line up but my trip had already been made just getting my eyes on the big stag that had consumed my thoughts so many times and I just hoped before the trip was up I'd get a chance at him!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419814755.453275.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24354523Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419814794.343795.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	24354524
      With each hunt there after, my anticipation grew more and more I as was able to get my eyes on the bulls, but never in close enough for a shot. Then the morning came where I thought the stars had aligned and I was going to get my shot. The wind was finally favorable and I was able to get between where the stags were feeding and where we expects them to make their escape up into the mountains for the day to bed. Finally, they started heading my direction up the canyon and I planned in my head how I thought it would all go down, then like it always seems to happen, they decided to do the unconventional. And bed down out in the wide open. I was stunned. After watching for awhile and reading the lay of the land, I decided since the wind was good an the stags had bedded in a favorable position of all looking the other direction, I might actually have a chance at getting in close. I swung around the mountain and got above them and started making my way their direction. What I didn't realize was the brush leading up towards them was shorter than I'd expected and there were also a few gaps in the cover I'd have to work around so this is where the fun began. From 350yards or so out I began belly crawling my way towards them for the next hour and a half. When I got to about 80yards, there was a big gap in the brush between me and them, but I knew if I could get across the gap to the next clump of brush, I should be able to get a shot. Inching my way across the bare ground covered only in rocks (thankfully no cactus), I ha nearly reached my brush when I heard a loud blow. I didn't fully recognize the sound, so I slowly lifted my head and looked over to find something I was never find I before and definitely don't like now, zebras. Three of them about 75 yards away. As I looked back towards the bulls, they were standing on alert and as the zebras ran away, the stags followed suit and slowly trotted their way out if sight and around the mountainside. My heart was shattered as I just knew I'd blown my chance and the were going to be gone in the back country not to be seen for the rest of the trip. That night I set only to see my zebra "friends" and a herd of blackbuck. In my mind, it was all but over.....

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419816761.499512.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	24354530

Comment

in for the rest of the story

Comment

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
          in for the rest of the story
          I cant stop looking at his avatar pic! Think I know where its going!

Comment

The last morning arrived and based on where the band of bulls had bedded, Bryan sent me off in the darkness to get up above the bulls with the hopes of being able to spot them when they got up and hopefully intercept them either going to feed on alfalfa in the valley or coming from their bedding area back up into the mountains to their mid-day beds. As day broke, a giant axis buck came by in shooting distance just knowing he was safe. Shortly behind him, another group of axis came strolling by, but no stags. About an hour after day brake, I finally caught sight of the bulls. They fed and fought their way along a drainage a couple hundred yards out all the way to the alfalfa. Watching them from afar, I could only hope the wind would hold up in my favor and they would exit my direction. After watching for quite a while, a group of 15 or so hinds moved down and joined the bulls. I wasn't too excited to see this as I didn't really want all those extra eyes, ears, an noses to deal with!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419903834.061300.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	24354684

The bulls didn't care for their presence either and shortly after they arrived, the bulls pushed them off, back up the mountain side they had came from. As they did, the bulls started making their way up the mountain in the opposite direction towards me, but with shifty winds and low cover plus the sun being in my face, I didn't want to push it to hard, so I stayed even with them until I couldn't go any further. I watched the group feed up the mountainside until I lost complete sight an sound of them, then slowly slipped out of the area.
            After being back at camp for a while, Bryan came by to load feed and I knew something was up. As he was heading to the cabin, he spotted all the bulls bedded on the mountain I'd left them at, right at the edge of the tree line out in the open. I jumped at the chance to go help fill a couple feeders and see for myself. Sure enough, there they laid taunting me from afar.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419904296.868424.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24354685
            Spot where the bulls were laying.

That evening brought on two options. One was to set in a tree stand along a drainage we'd seen the bulls pass by. The other option was to get in a drainage below where they were bedded and wait them out until they got up, then depending on what route down to the valley they decided to take, pop on one side or the other of the drainage and I should be within 40yards or so for a shot.

By this point in the hunt I was drained but hopeful. Not sleeping, lots of walking for this out of shape body, and crawling everywhere had taken it's toll and coming so close on a few occasions had me down. But, Bryan kept the energy positive an reminded me with the ol saying "it ain't over till the fat lady sings", so I geared back up for one last go. I decided to throw all my chips in the middle and roll the dice and play my luck with going up the draw and waiting them out. By the time I reached my destination point, I was hot an wore down, but when I peaked over the edge of the drainage, there they laid in the exact same spot they had been all day.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419904942.984583.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	24354705

For the next 3 hours I laid on my side with my binoculars attached to my eyes 150yards out waiting for them to stand and make there way down to the valley below. I kept checking the clock as the sun went behind the mountains and the bulls still laid in place. Finally, at 5:45 the first one stood and slowly the rest worked to their way to their feet. For what seemed like an eternity, the bulls nibbled on cedar, a couple sparred, and one was licking on rocks, doing everything but heading my way. The clock kept ticking and the sky got darker, an finally I decided I knew I had to do something or it wasn't going to happen because they showed no interested in heading down the mountain anytime soon. At this point, I said to myself the I was going to be the one singing at the end of the night, so one last time, I crawled my way across to a small drainage and as quietly and quickly as I could, I made my way up their direction. Thankfully the wind was good as the thermals started pulling down the mountain and a couple of the bulls were sparring so I had a little cushion on my sound. When I got parallel to them, I slowly crept up the bank and spotted the first set of horns above me. I pulled my rangefinder up and ranged the bull at 75yards. Two other bulls were sparring below him and the other was over to their side so I eased up until I had them in full sight. As soon as I reached my point, I located which was the big bull in the fading light and ranged him him at 55yards. I rose to my knees, said a quick prayer and started focusing on my spot. As soon as the pins settled in, instinct took over and the arrow was on its way. Then a sound I didn't like rang back as the bull lunged forwarded a few steps and started looking around, I'd missed. I through my binoculars up and looked as the bull looked around at the other stags trying to figure out where the sound came from, and I didn't see my arrow sticking in him or out of him anywhere! I was shocked! The bull took a couple more steps and started throwing his head around. Then, his legs started wobbling and he started backing back down the mountain, and as if on cue fell over. Over the course of about a minute, my adrenaline was in true full overdrive. I was shocked. My body couldn't decide if it wanted to cry tears of joy or throw up because my nerves were shot at this point. But there he lay, a mere 75 yards away, only going 25 yards after my shot. My dream was a reality at last.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419906635.492628.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	24354715Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419906655.835869.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24354716Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419906670.511081.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	24354717

I want to give a big big thanks to the Bryan, Debbie, Jay Ann, Harriss and the whole crew at Bug Scuffle for letting enjoy their true little slice of Heaven in the south Texas "mountain" country! Truly feel blessed beyond belief to have had the opportunity to get a shot at such an amazing animal and still pinching myself to make sure it all really happened. If you've ever considered making a trip to the Bug Scuffle Ranch don't hesitate, as I promise you won't be disappointed!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419907063.857448.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24354718Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419907084.030232.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	24354719
            Even captured Bryan in a pic! Thanks again buddy for all your help in making my dream come true!
            Last edited by MedicineMan7; 12-29-2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Great write up and a great Bull, Congratulations

Next time type a little faster

Comment

Congratulations, a job well done.

Comment

WoW, congrats!!!!

Comment

Heck of an animal and a great story... Great job!

Comment

Happy for you sir, that is an awesome animal!

Comment

Big congrats!!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
                          Great write up and a great Bull, Congratulations

Next time type a little faster
                          If not for autocorrect on my stupid phone and tablet, I may have not drawn it out so long!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X