Selfbows ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selfbows ?

Need some help on this . 1. Do you put a nock on string ? 2.brace hight what should it be ?

If there's no arrow shelf or even a floppy rest, I don't see much point in putting a nock on the string. For the brace height, I put my fist on the handle and stick my thumb up. I want the string either just touching my thumb or maybe 1/4" above my thumb.

Comment

THIS IS WHAT I PICKED UP http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=518141

Comment

live2hunt, hey bud!

Brace it like Sam suggested(thumb method). For me it comes to around 6", John Beecroft told me 8" is fine too. I think a nocking point will help your consistency. Actually I would suggest two, one above the nock and one under...after you have found the optimal spot. In my experience (even when shooting off the knuckle) I knock the arrow slightly above center as it seems to help stability of the arrow as well as my instinctive accuracy.

I attached a pic showing brace height on my other bows(backed self bows) and what the little sliver of wood we discussed looks like if you want an arrow rest. Push it down into the leather handle further than I did on the picture. This is pretty common for selfbows, as the bow becomes weaker if you were to cut in a shelf into the bow itself.

Once more thing, try not to leave it strung when not in use. Selfbows will develop more set than traditional bows which are usually reinforced with fiberglass. Lastly, a high quality string will do wonders for speed and accuracy. Sinew sure looks cool though!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 240m3srt; 03-18-2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Thank for the input

Comment

String maker around lewisville

Comment

Well, this guy is not local, but ebay username stilldub, 6000+ positive feedback. Custom made Flemish twist your color choice for $8.75 shipped, I just ordered 8 of them in various lengths to keep on hand. Ill let you know what I think when they arrive though

Most the local guys ive seen charge $25+. Smithfields Archery and Cinnamon Creek usually keep em' on hand if the money is burning a hole in your pocket. Or Cabelas off i35 has generic $10-13 strings.

Also ive been amazed how much simple beaver fur silences these bows, more so than on a trad bow.

Comment

Working...
              X