No announcement yet.

Spring has sprung !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radar, forgive me for stating the obvious, but you need some rain !

Comment

Yes, we need rain here. 4 days of over a 100 degrees out of 7. Weather liar says pop up thunderstorms for the next 4 days. The peas are doing fine, but them old big sunflowers starting to droop.

Now you know why I plant in early March.

I am sitting on tree stand now, and it's plumb miserable.

Comment

[ATTACH]859649[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by Radar; 07-20-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Good luck !

Comment

They is a doe in that pic,can you find her?

Comment

Peas are doing good and deer are hitting them better than they ever have

Comment

Well we got plenty of rain and with the soil all loose brings in the hogs. I lost about two acres of plot to the hogs and will probably lose it all by the end July. Once the peas start getting pods the hogs will hammer them and destroy the soil. I have never had a summer plot make to August. I have been hearing good things about Sunn Hemp, so that maybe my next trial.

Them old hogs are smart they will start rooting in the middle of the fields to provide their selves cover.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  Peas are doing good and deer are hitting them better than they ever have
                  BT, those peas are really looking good ! It seems to me that iron clay peas are about the right balance for expense/use/nutrition.

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  Well we got plenty of rain and with the soil all loose brings in the hogs. I lost about two acres of plot to the hogs and will probably lose it all by the end July. Once the peas start getting pods the hogs will hammer them and destroy the soil. I have never had a summer plot make to August. I have been hearing good things about Sunn Hemp, so that maybe my next trial.

Them old hogs are smart they will start rooting in the middle of the fields to provide their selves cover.[ATTACH]859787[/ATTACH]

I've never had much rooting in my plots, thank goodness. That would just about send me over the top. I despise hogs as it is, and if they rooted my plots up, I'd be looking for some dynamite ! I'm glad you finally got rain Radar.

Comment

I have two plots they root every year and two they pass thru. I have never figgered why they leave two plots alone and destroy two.

Comment

I have two plots they root every year and two they pass thru. I have never figgered why they leave two plots alone and destroy two.
                      I have that myself, but I don't grow anything there anymore. I have a 40'/60' perimeter cleared around my Rusk Co. property and the East line and South line are favorite rooting places in the creek bottoms. It's so bad, I have to mow it in 1st gear sometimes, then I disc it up to smooth it out. They're not very long, 150 yards or so, but it's aggravating as hell when it looks like bomb craters.

Either place would make a fine wheat plot for the fall, even though they're on my line, across the fence in both places is a jungle. Both neighbors clearcut, one about 7 years ago, the other 2 years ago. Nobody even hunts those properties now, so I wouldn't have a problem with a stand there, except I know the hogs would destroy them.

Comment

I have a seed mix for this fall I got from El gato. I really think Sunn Hemp will be my next trial for next year. This time of the year is bad for hogs in my area and my biologist has told me several times that it is an epidemic. There was a write up in the local paper about how the local creeks have tested positive for E-Coli and was traced back to the hogs.
                        I would say once the water is contaminated through out the state, things will change.

Comment

I have a seed mix for this fall I got from El gato. I really think Sunn Hemp will be my next trial for next year. This time of the year is bad for hogs in my area and my biologist has told me several times that it is an epidemic. There was a write up in the local paper about how the local creeks have tested positive for E-Coli and was traced back to the hogs.
                          I would say once the water is contaminated through out the state, things will change.
                          I probably need to break out of the harness too, and try something else. I've planted other stuff in the past. But not sunn hemp or buckwheat. Those are a couple things I'd like to try in Trinity Co. to help build the soil in my kill plot. I've only a limited amount of acreage I can hunt or plant there, but that's where the biggest bucks are, and I'm afraid of a crop failure. I guess it wouldn't matter much if a spring crop failed though, so I may try something else there next spring.

Comment

I finally got a pic of a group of bachelor bucks on one of my blocks. One of them looks like he might be a candidate !

PS. There are three bucks in this pic.....
                            Attached Files

Comment

I don't believe I have ever seen IC peas grow this tall. We don't have a heavy deer density on this place, but with the recent timber harvest and these food plots, I think we will see more and more deer in the years ahead. When I got on this lease, we had about three different bucks on camera until the rut, then we got a few different bucks but they didn't hang out long. We got very few pics of does. I think it was the browse and cover, or lack of it. Lots of pine trees and very little browse or thick cover. The timber was thinned on part of it in 2016 and some more this year. Next year the rest of it will probably be thinned. We're lucky in that this property can be cut when others are too wet, so they've thinned both times in late winter/early spring. I've not even pointed an arrow at a deer here yet, but it's close to the house and my best friend and his grown son both hunt here.

The peas:

That's my bride, she's 5'7" ! You can see the peas eaten down in the foreground. As I was standing, there's a mineral block directly behind me. The deer are going straight to the peas from the block and vice versa.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Another pic from the trail cam.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X