Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divided America ... pic worth a thousand words ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The house is like a bunch of unruly kids on the playground and the senate is like the faculty keeping them all in line. At least it should be this way

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
      You know it's funny how people on both sides of the aisle will complain about the same things in different ways. I was reading an article this morning about how ridiculous it seems that the democrats got 10 million more votes than republicans for the senate and they still lost seats. The argument is that California has 68 times the population of Wyoming but the same number of senate seats so if you think of it that way, a voter in Wyoming has 68 times the power of a voter in California (or 50 times the power of a voter in Texas). Maybe the existing system is pretty good he way it is since both sides think it's unfair.
      Your last sentence is quite telling!!!![emoji6][emoji457]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
        You know it's funny how people on both sides of the aisle will complain about the same things in different ways. I was reading an article this morning about how ridiculous it seems that the democrats got 10 million more votes than republicans for the senate and they still lost seats. The argument is that California has 68 times the population of Wyoming but the same number of senate seats so if you think of it that way, a voter in Wyoming has 68 times the power of a voter in California (or 50 times the power of a voter in Texas). Maybe the existing system is pretty good he way it is since both sides think it's unfair.
        I'm good with the country being divided politically. What the country used to be divided on was basically trickle down economics vs. giving breaks directly to the blue collar man. What we are divided on today is completely different. It goes far beyond the governmental system.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
          That just emphasizes the brilliance of the founding fathers and why the electoral college (that the liberals want to abolish) was set up. They feared the voice of the rural population would be silenced by concentration of people that are located in large cities.
          Not sure how you came to that conclusion since most of the population (95%+) at the time lived in rural areas...The electoral college was a compromise between the larger and smaller states (population wise) to keep the small states from being disenfranchised in the presidential election. It just so happens that now the rural northwest/midwest are the low population states that benefit most from the electoral college.

Considering that it is possible (though highly improbable) to win 70% of the popular vote and still lose the electoral college...I think it has issues. Even if it did keep Clinton out of office. If they removed the winner take all part of it, I think it'd be an improvement. That way the low population states still get their representation, but the bigger states are properly divvied up between candidates. And to deal with a 3rd party candidate keeping anyone from getting 270 votes, you just do ranked voting (which I think should be instituted for all elections to completely avoid runoffs).

The house/senate was a well thought out as a balancing act, the electoral college, not as much, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
            That just emphasizes the brilliance of the founding fathers and why the electoral college (that the liberals want to abolish) was set up. They feared the voice of the rural population would be silenced by concentration of people that are located in large cities.
            I hope you don't get paid to interpret the constitution for a living.

This is exactly the problem.
            Folks spreading fake news.

For kicks and giggles can you tell me how many "urban centers" there were in the colonies in 1775?

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
              there should be 2,,,

do you think you should be prompted to press 1 for English?
              No..

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                No..
                Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                  I'm good with the country being divided politically. What the country used to be divided on was basically trickle down economics vs. giving breaks directly to the blue collar man. What we are divided on today is completely different. It goes far beyond the governmental system.
                  X2 on this. No question, everything seems to have moved left; the dems are now extreme left and conservatives just right of center.

I mean, the democratic party back when JFK was elected, probably aligned with what many would call a Rhino today. The dem platform today doesn't represent the ordinary, hard working, blue collar people imo.

Comment

Working...
                  X