Got my target/cull today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my target/cull today.

Been after this guy all season. He's young and may have made a good buck one day, but I didn't want to chance him spreading this gene. I was hoping to get him before the rut! We've only had him on the camera at night, and only at this stand. Saw him once in the daytime on camera and not at all from the stand. He came in this morning with a pretty nice 8 point that was blocking him for a few minutes. He finally gave me a chance and I made a much less than perfect shot with the wife's .243 (not sure if it was me or the scope yet). He ran about 80-100 yards through some thick stuff, my longest track on a deer. Glad to finally get this guy, I'm probably going to switch back to the bow and finish the season, except for rainy days that I'll sit in the box stand.

The second pic is the buck that was with him (pic doesn't do justice, he's definitely legal). We're not a management lease, and I'm probably the only person on the lease that would have taken the "spike" over him, but I'd like to see him in a year or 2.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Good cull

Comment

Funky looking deer, I agree, good cull.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

**** good cull! That boy needed to go for sure!

Comment

Trophy on my place, but to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by refugioco View Post
                  Trophy on my place, but to each his own.
                  Lol, he's probably gonna be the trophy this year. My actual target hasn't shown up for over a month and I'm not planning on changing my plan.

Comment

My wife and I went out last night in the rain to check cameras and put out hand corn. I was disappointed because the cull wasn't on camera all week. I thought about hunting with the bow, but I haven't shot it in several weeks. So, I decided to sit in the box again. I've hunted this stand primarily since gun season started, but I have a climbing stand on one of the shooting lanes (not the one the deer showed up on today). I started to do a live hunt this morning, but you never know about East Texas hunting. I got in the stand a little late, but the fog was thick as pea soup. About 8:20, I saw a deer silhouette. Hard to tell through the fog, but 99% sure it was a doe. A few minutes later, another silhouette. Also looked like a doe. Fog finally lifted, and sure enough..... both doe. They moved on and the fog came back. 9:30, fog is gone and the sun is trying to break through the clouds. Looked up from TBH and see a deer coming from the direction the does left. I figured it was just the does from earlier coming back. Then the second one stepped out and..........antlers! This was the 8 point. I raised my gun and fixed on the 8. Once I realized which one he was, I knew I didn't want to shoot and I looked at the first one. It was my cull! He stayed behind the 8 or facing me for a couple minutes, but it seemed like at least 10. The 8 kept chasing him from the hand corn and I was afraid I was gonna miss my chance. Finally he offer a quartering to me shot. I hit about 4 inches back of where I was aiming.

Comment

Well done well done

Comment

That’s what I’m talking about! Congrats Muskles!

Skinny

Comment

Great cull buck!
                          I have one similar but going to see if he branches off next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                            Great cull buck!
                            I have one similar but going to see if he branches off next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yours may make something. The way mine's right antler didn't spread out, I was afraid he would branch and never be legal again. I've got 3 legal young 8 points, a small young 8 point, a young 6 point, and 2 young spikes. They're all up and comers, except for the spikes, so this one got the ax.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X