Eye wear retainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye wear retainers

I took a 3/16" drill bit and drilled through the ear pieces on each side. I cut the chums rubbers off the ends. Burnt the ends and rolled them while hot to give a point. Threaded through the holes and tied a knot on each end.

I only buy cheap 3M sunglasses and wear them constantly. I buy them at the local paint store for $6.99. Once glasses are scratched, I have to throw them away and get a new pair. The scratches mess with my vision and give me a headache. The cheap 3M glasses dont have a frame, and I like that because it doesnt block my periphery.

The chums rubber graspers break rather quickly due to my use and abuse.

If you want glasses and a retainer that float...thread a fluorescent bobber before threading the last hole.

Someone said I was wearing Chris Kyle glasses. I knew he was BA but didnt know he was gangster too!
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:13 AM.

Nice

Comment

Interesting option for low cost disposables.

Comment

I got thinking yesterday...why even buy eyeglass retainers....just use paracord...also known as 550 cord...or use bootlaces made of synthetic material. I havent constructed a good retainer cord cincher yet. Im thinking a sturdy and small piece of leather with two punched holes will likely suffice...thread the cord through.

Ill likely be making a mess of these for the family lake house. People always show up with expensive sunglasses then wanna go out on the jetskis. Losing expensive sunglasses makes the lake a little less enjoyable....so does not being able to see from spray while jetskiing.
        Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-25-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Funny thing is....once eyeglass retainers break...and glasses get lost...they all become disposable...the cost amount lost is up to the wearers discretion.

Comment

I have worn pretty much the same Safety glasses for years. I buy them several pair at a time from: northernsafety.com

Texas warehouse and I usually get them in two days. Good idea on the retainer!

Comment

Yep, good idea. Have some glasses like that myself. Will sho nuff use the float idea.
              Used some heat shrink to hold cord on tho. No knot tying and hole drillin'!

Comment

Headache may be coming from the inferior optics. Look through a piece of clear plastic, then look through a piece of glass and the difference is obvious.

Comment

Great idea Smokeater...Ill try it out. Thanks.

Tsoasb...funny thing is that, for me....it seems like the higher quality optic, the less tolerant I am to scratches. The lesser quality optics, the more scratches I can tolerate. Peculiar. Why I went cheap.

Stoof...thanks for the supplier suggestion. PPG seems to always be out. If I see they havem, I snatchem up. Theyve been out the past several times Ive been in.

Comment

Working...
                  X