Hand held gps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acostades View Post
    I was looking into getting one also. I hunted public land couple days ago and i feared venturing away from main trail
    Cabelas has the Garmin Oregon 600 on sale. It was 399 on sale for 199. Save 200 dollars.. touch screen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

There are lots of android and iPhone apps that work well, for free. Even just a topo map app on your phone will work fine in many situations. This is what I have used on trips to Utah and Wyoming where I was totally unfamiliar with the surroundings. I also use it for tracking wounded game and leave a breadcrumb trail of waypoints back to my stand.

The GPS on the smart phone is a major battery hog, so you need to either take an extra battery or turn the GPS app off most of the time and just use it to get a quick fix. This is the only reason that I would consider toward a dedicated GPS unit.

Comment

I have the garmin Montana 680t and the Dakota 20 ( I think it is) both do way more then I need. But the Montana has a mount you can put in the utv and use it, charge it as you drive. And it's got the biggest screen. I just bought one for my son for Christmas, cabelas has them on sale for 369.00 and free shipping. Normally 599.99. They had the 610t for 349.00 but I think it was only for one day. I am not " tech savey " and they can get pretty complicated. Why I bought my son the same one, so as he figures things out, he can show me.

Comment

I have a Garmin 64st but I use onX app mostly now. Easier to use and see. I use my Garmin to mark camp or truck and then throw it in my backpack for a back up.

Comment

Good luck fellas, the battery is a big concern being in the woods. Happy thanksgiving to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just carry an extra set of batteries with you. I have used the same batteries all week on elk hunts with my DeLorme Earthmate. I do not leave it on. Just when I am using it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4308.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	24519597

Another for Garmin gps. This is a track on one of my last mountain bike rides and the basecamp software mentioned earlier.

I use it for hunting as well. Hard to beat and yes bring extra batteries just in case!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Nice... thinking about the birds eye view satellite map from Garmin. The hunter view seems cool to because it shows public and private land boundary’s. But I can’t see myself paying 70 bucks for that one. I don’t mind the birds eye it’s only 30. Is there any satellite birds view for free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Garmin 64s

Comment

I think my Oregon 550t came with it but not 100% sure honestly

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Google maps is as good as any of em. Drop pins, take notes, etc.. I dont carry anything with me, but I use it to research areas beforehand.

Comment

Always bring extra batteries.....

Comment

Originally posted by public View Post
                            Always bring extra batteries.....

No joke. Just got done with a ride this evening to find that my rechargeable batteries don’t hold a charge anymore.

So now I have no data of my ride at all

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If I am going deep off trail in an area that I know is not surrounded by roads, fences, easements, etc. or that is really thick I take both a handheld GPS and my iphone. I also always carry a compass and many times a paper map as well.

On my iphone I use Gaia GPS and sometimes OnX. Gaia is awesome. Nothing I’ve found is easier to use than Gaia. I pre-download back ground maps and put my iphone on airplane mode. This saves battery life and the GPS on the phone still works in airplane mode. OnX is really cool too for public land boundaries, but the interface on Gaia is more like a traditional GPS unit and simpler to navigate in my opinion.

For my handheld, I have a Garmin GPS Map 60Csx. It is an older, but awesome unit.

If I really get deep in the back country, my phone goes into a safe dry location and I use my hand held almost exclusively. I protect my phone and its battery life in case I need to make emergency phone calls.

Note: On your smart phone you can save Google Maps back grounds as well for when you don’t have cell service.

Edit: I have had GPS units improperly store way points or fail to track. I've lost and destroyed iphones which are delicate. I'm a big believer in redundancy. Two is one and one is none. Also, always carry a compass and know the lay of the land before you set off.
                              Last edited by backwoods; 12-04-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X