Clear All

What do you let kids shoot?

When hunting with kids and a huge deer walks out
    Do you let them shoot it???
    Just curious of your thoughts.
    I haven't had the problem yet but my kids are starting to hunt
    And curios if they shoot a huge deer they may lose intrest

What do you let kids shoot?

I let them shoot whatever is legal as long is it’s something I’d also shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, heck yeah! They'll be hooked for life trying to get a bigger one!

Comment

Well if they were hunting then obviously they had done the work getting ready. Cutting brush, building a set up, etc. they had also taken the time to become good enough with a weapon to kill a deer. If they were hunting and lucky enough for a once in a lifetime deer to step out- its theirs.

Comment

Thanks, I do work them pretty hard all year. Son and I
          Saw a decent 10 in the brush this am an made me think

Comment

Whatever is able to be shot. I’ve never understood people thinking kids have to be eased into better deer. If it’s their turn to shoot and a trophy is available to be shot it’s theirs. Making them watch one when available is just being a Richard

Comment

It is a tough answer. Shoot a lifetime buck for your first could backfire. Too easy, No challenge, no place to go but down, etc
              Because of that i let mine shoot does only first and then the first buck that was legal. Now one likes to hunt, the other not at all.
              So what do I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                It is a tough answer. Shoot a lifetime buck for your first could backfire. Too easy, No challenge, no place to go but down, etc
                Because of that i let mine shoot does only first and then the first buck that was legal. Now one likes to hunt, the other not at all.
                So what do I know!
                Having every grown man that sees the deer tell them they've never killed one that big before tends to make a young man pretty proud, and even more hooked on hunting.

Do you only let a kid hook 1lb bass?

Comment

Sons first buck. 8 yr old at the time. He helped fill feeders and work at the lease. He put in the time practicing. This joker stepped out so he got him. Second largest buck off our lease so far.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Kids shoot whatever is legal, spike, doe, or s 140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I let my kids shoot whatever they want at the lease however I don't take them on trophy hunts yet.

You have to have something to strive for imo and you need to work your way up to a point and I'm not just gonna hand them 140" + deer

however they will get the opportunity to kill better deer than I did at their age, due to a number of factors, being they hunt better country being the primary one.

My oldest is begging me to take him Mule deer hunting but that won't happen for several years at least
                      Last edited by txtrophy85; 11-05-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

If its in their capabilities to make the shot, and allowed (if guest)...or legal (my place), and THEY WANT to shoot it...FIRE IN THE HOLE! Spike,doe, 200" its their hunt

Comment

I also let kids shoot lots of stuff that I would not shoot. I see a 3 year old 115 inch deer that I let walk all year and a kid is sitting next to me and they are excited I will let them heat up the rifle every time. There is nothing more rewarding in hunting than watching kids kill critters.

Comment

I let em shoot a big one. However, the rule is the next buck needs to be bigger! Honestly, I want the kiddos to shoot the big ones not me.

Comment

I would rather a kid kill one than me ( not that I don't want to kill a good one ) so I would let them shoot whatever is legal

Comment

Working...
                              X