Another Interesting Thing About My Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Interesting Thing About My Grandfather

My grandfather was the CO of the 36th Division 141st Regiment Anti-Tank company during WWII and took part in the North Africa and Italian campaigns. Somewhere along the way in Italy (His records were part of those lost in the archives fire) he was dinged and stayed in Italy to heal up while the division moved on to France. Well, family lore goes that he was part of the group that worked to help Italy recover from the war and had something to do with getting the rail lines back up and running. And part of that story is that he was responsible for getting all the trains back on schedule (and that his schedule template is still in use today). Anyway, for his efforts he was knighted by the King of Italy. The original certificate/proclamation used to hang in my father's office, but after he retired and passed away I have not been able to locate it. But yesterday I came across a copy of it at my Aunt's house and scanned it in to send on to the 36th museum as they called me a few years back asking about it as they have some other items of his there.

Anyway, thought folks here might find this little piece of history interesting.

And if anyone here works in Italian, I'd love a partial translation.

George Guthrie Knighthood.pdf

thats pretty cool

Comment

That is probably the MOST INTERESTING thing that will be posted today... Man that is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
        That is probably the MOST INTERESTING thing that will be posted today... Man that is awesome!
        I agree! Cool.

Comment

Thats some good bull. Your grandfather was a pretty special person.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

oh yea! this is very kewl.
              I can imagine he was treated like royalty! I bet the women were all over him also.....lol.

Comment

Pic don't load for me.

I've got Italian friends in Naples Italy that might could help with translation

Comment

That is pretty awesome! Really hope you can find the original!

Comment

Very cool, I love to hear history stories

Comment

Very cool, indeed! Thanks for sharing the story and certificate pic.

Comment

Really neat stuff, Mark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats really cool.

Comment

Cool story. My 97 year old mother was a nurse in N. Africa, and Italy. She may have helped take care of him.

Comment

That’s awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X