Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    What is a "side belief?"
    If you have no faith what you believe in then you need a backup plan.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
      You make several great points. My contention is not that I don’t tolerate others’ beliefs, it’s that I see no authority in their origins. But I’m not going to force anyone to believe the Truth, but I will always try to proclaim it. (Despite popular belief, absolute truth is not subjective). There’s a whole ’nuther facet to faith in Jesus, which is the indisputable change He has made in this sinner’s life. But I have to get back to work now
      I believe you are saying that you will not force anyone to believe YOUR Truth, and your proclamations have shown that to be evident. Absolute truth is not subjective, I agree.

Faith is required for a reason - the absolute truth is not available. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Riddle me this then. You are a Christian, practicing one at that. Me and you have had our differences, but I will say, your always consistent in your faith. So....the Bible says this is gonna happen, a great turning away, likened unto the days of Sodom & Gomorrah. A Christian puts absolute faith in God, His word, prophecy, etc..etc. The Bible says it's going to be violent.
        Why do you worry so much, why so much fear?
        Romans 8:28, says ALL THINGS.
        Sir I know you to be a learned man in many ways and I admire your ability to discuss adversarial things in a debate format that is for the most part non-oppressive or indignant. There is wisdom in your words, and I thank you for that.

Regarding the fear that I have, it is an earthly fear. It is the nature of a human being that was placed there by Satan to fear death once man was deceived. This came as a result of a falling away from God that brought an end to God incarnate walking with man (Adam) in the garden as a physical being. Man fears death and violence as man is a natural being that has a survivor's instinct. I absolutely do not fear death for myself, but I fear death for others, others who do not know the Savior that I know, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God Almighty. I fear for my grandsons as I stated in the quote you referenced. Naturally as a grandfather, I do not want them to suffer pain, torment or harm. The Bible I study tells us that we will face all this and I know through my faith in the Word of God that it is true. That does not take away earthly fear of pain/suffering. Having lost my only earthly son do a violent death, I know what that pain is, and I spend every minute of every waking hour trying to help folks, especially my grandsons and the rest of my immediate family from enduring pain/loss/suffering.
        I believe you to be a student of the Bible, and you know that it is filled with pain and suffering, much of which is experienced by God's chosen people and followers of Christ his Son. Pain/suffering/fear is just a natural part of life on earth. I do however believe with strong conviction that God has provided a place for those who follow Him, accept His Son's sacrifice on the Cross of Calvary that we will spend eternity with Him free of pain, suffering, loss, or sorrow. I do not fear that and would be just fine if He took me at the period at the end of this sentence. I do feel sorrow for those who I'd leave behind.

There's an old Christian song, not necessarily a Hymn, but a christian themed song that is one of my favorites that pretty much sums it up for me. The title is Wait a Little Longer Please Jesus Below is a YouTube link to one of my favorite recordings of the song. If you search YouTube for that title, you'll find several recordings by various popular artists that do an excellent job with the song.

In reality, this song is my burden... I have a sadness in my heart that you, yourself knowing what you do have a hardened heart toward God. If there's a way I can help in that, I'm available any day, any time, and I'd come to you in a heartbeat. To me it is not a "riddle", it's indeed a mystery as to "how" God may bring in His Kingdom with respect to all the little details, but there's no doubt in my mind and my heart that it WILL happen. I want to be in that number when He calls His people home and I want to have as many as I can reach to be in that number as well.

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupWait A Little Longer, Please Jesus · The Louvin BrothersNearer My God To Thee℗ 1956 Capitol Records, LLCReleased ...
        Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 09-26-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          I believe you are saying that you will not force anyone to believe YOUR Truth, and your proclamations have shown that to be evident. Absolute truth is not subjective, I agree.

Faith is required for a reason - the absolute truth is not available. Just my opinion.
          This is my interpretation of God’s word but I believe truth is made available to us through Jesus Christ. He makes himself available to all. In John 14:6 he says I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life...
          I personally don’t believe we substitute our Faith for lack of truth. The very definition of Faith is things hoped for not yet seen. That’s why we place our hope in Jesus Christ.
          Good discussion on this topic

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Sir I know you to be a learned man in many ways and I admire your ability to discuss adversarial things in a debate format that is for the most part non-oppressive or indignant. There is wisdom in your words, and I thank you for that.

Regarding the fear that I have, it is an earthly fear. It is the nature of a human being that was placed there by Satan to fear death once man was deceived. This came as a result of a falling away from God that brought an end to God incarnate walking with man (Adam) in the garden as a physical being. Man fears death and violence as man is a natural being that has a survivor's instinct. I absolutely do not fear death for myself, but I fear death for others, others who do not know the Savior that I know, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God Almighty. I fear for my grandsons as I stated in the quote you referenced. Naturally as a grandfather, I do not want them to suffer pain, torment or harm. The Bible I study tells us that we will face all this and I know through my faith in the Word of God that it is true. That does not take away earthly fear of pain/suffering. Having lost my only earthly son do a violent death, I know what that pain is, and I spend every minute of every waking hour trying to help folks, especially my grandsons and the rest of my immediate family from enduring pain/loss/suffering.
            I believe you to be a student of the Bible, and you know that it is filled with pain and suffering, much of which is experienced by God's chosen people and followers of Christ his Son. Pain/suffering/fear is just a natural part of life on earth. I do however believe with strong conviction that God has provided a place for those who follow Him, accept His Son's sacrifice on the Cross of Calvary that we will spend eternity with Him free of pain, suffering, loss, or sorrow. I do not fear that and would be just fine if He took me at the period at the end of this sentence. I do feel sorrow for those who I'd leave behind.

There's an old Christian song, not necessarily a Hymn, but a christian themed song that is one of my favorites that pretty much sums it up for me. The title is Wait a Little Longer Please Jesus Below is a YouTube link to one of my favorite recordings of the song. If you search YouTube for that title, you'll find several recordings by various popular artists that do an excellent job with the song.

In reality, this song is my burden... I have a sadness in my heart that you, yourself knowing what you do have a hardened heart toward God. If there's a way I can help in that, I'm available any day, any time, and I'd come to you in a heartbeat. To me it is not a "riddle", it's indeed a mystery as to "how" God may bring in His Kingdom with respect to all the little details, but there's no doubt in my mind and my heart that it WILL happen. I want to be in that number when He calls His people home and I want to have as many as I can reach to be in that number as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJsrQoSYxL8
            Appreciate that.
            As far as a hardened heart, no sir. Never once in my life, have I purposefully rejected Christ, or made a conscious decision to ignore him, turn away etc.. I never found anything, where all those around me did. Even as child in my innocence, long before I thought for myself, it was this way for me.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              according to John yes, but John also says that all men will be forgiven. Ezekiel says the salvation of all men. James says full of mercy without partiality. Isaiah says to have all men saved.

This is a topic that comes up almost every time our men's group meets. Do non believers go to heaven with the devoted? I say no but there are always people who bring up the above and many more examples that can be interpreted as yes.
              My response to this would be, there is NO WAY to the father but through the son.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post

Well I’m not sure I understand the logic. How is this just MY truth?? History has not substantiated any other faiths. Where are their fulfilled prophecies? Where is the body of Jesus?

By all means, somebody please hit me with the authority of Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Pantheism. I’m beginning to get the feeling their is a disconnect between authority substantiated by supernatural intervention and interaction from God vs. religions that are just old and man made. It seems when the discussion gets down to brass tacks, all of a sudden absolute truth becomes unknowable because it’s ancient.

Yeah, it’s all faith, no disputing that. But all other faiths have a man-made beginning relative to their founders who are dead sinners like I will be someday. Why would I put my faith in that? That’s not absolute truth.

Judeo Christianity was revealed in a perfectly consistent message (and still is across the Middle East, check out Jesus appearing in the exact same dream to Muslims thousands of miles apart) across multiple continents, there’s no way it could have been orchestrated by man. But if there’s ever any doubt, just explain how Jesus rose from the dead. Atheist after atheist who set out to disprove have come to the same conclusion, and have placed their faith in Jesus. Those that are afraid to touch it remain staunchly in their faith. Heck check out Josephus, world widely respected secular historian. He records Jesus appearance to the 400 following his resurrection. There is so much non-canonical evidence out there that other faiths are completely devoid of.

I highly recommend “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel. Book or movie that just came out.
                Last edited by woodsman; 09-26-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

My own opinions and beliefs aside, I commend all of you gentlemen for turning what started as a sketchy conversation, into a level headed, informative sharing of views.

Well played.

Comment

According to you .
                    What if BOB dies, and gets to come back as the lead singer of Slayer?
                    Wow! What if he comes back to an alternate world where Slayer never existed?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      My own opinions and beliefs aside, I commend all of you gentlemen for turning what started as a sketchy conversation, into a level headed, informative sharing of views.

Well played.

I'd still like to hear TBHers on how they practice Buddhism, what it means to them etc.. Instead of debating Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        Yes.

Have a great day Uncle Saggy.

God bless all!

Thank you sir

And the same to you

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

I'd still like to hear TBHers on how they practice Buddhism, what it means to them etc.. Instead of debating Christianity.
                          Any discussion about a minority religion on this forum will be hijacked by those of the majority religion. Even if the OP asks that it not be...

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                            Well I’m not sure I understand the logic. How is this just MY truth?? History has not substantiated any other faiths. Where are their fulfilled prophecies? Where is the body of Jesus?

By all means, somebody please hit me with the authority of Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Pantheism. I’m beginning to get the feeling their is a disconnect between authority substantiated by supernatural intervention and interaction from God vs. religions that are just old and man made. It seems when the discussion gets down to brass tacks, all of a sudden absolute truth becomes unknowable because it’s ancient.

Yeah, it’s all faith, no disputing that. But all other faiths have a man-made beginning relative to their founders who are dead sinners like I will be someday. Why would I put my faith in that? That’s not absolute truth.

Judeo Christianity was revealed in a perfectly consistent message (and still is across the Middle East, check out Jesus appearing in the exact same dream to Muslims thousands of miles apart) across multiple continents, there’s no way it could have been orchestrated by man. But if there’s ever any doubt, just explain how Jesus rose from the dead. Atheist after atheist who set out to disprove have come to the same conclusion, and have placed their faith in Jesus. Those that are afraid to touch it remain staunchly in their faith. Heck check out Josephus, world widely respected secular historian. He records Jesus appearance to the 400 following his resurrection. There is so much non-canonical evidence out there that other faiths are completely devoid of.

I highly recommend “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel. Book or movie that just came out.
                            Jesus was but a man as well. Where is your proof, he wasn't? History has been recorded as men see fit. Witnessing it right now, here in the US.
                            Where is your proof he was raised from the dead? You simply believe, there is no proof period, that's why it requires faith to work. Not saying you're right or wrong, just that it's that way for you. Others don't see your proof, as proof.
                            Tell me how a man, who couldn't read or write, never seen a book, a church, or heard of God, get to heaven?
                            Do the things the Bible tells you to do still matter? 10 commandments, etc...
                            I've posed this question before, and had more than 1 debate with missionaries in our church.
                            For 100s, possibly 1000,s of yrs, Indians, African tribesman, Amazon tribesman, lived and died by the 1000,s never knowing anything about God. They worshipped "false gods", and were heathens of the highest order.
                            Did any of them go to heaven? Bible says no man shall enter the kingdom unless you follow Gods laws.
                            The missionaries from my church (several different ones) have as a whole, never encountered anyone that knew of Jesus, or worshipped God, prior to them telling them about it. I've never read any stories, of any missionaries ever encountering the savages of the Amazons, American Indians, etc..that already knew Christ. So what of those people. Yes the Bible says god gives everyone a chance, but how come there are 0 that knew Christ until someone told them about him. Picture your walk with Christ 8f you had never even heard of him, you had no Bible, church, pastor, commentaries, or anyone else alive around you that had heard of any of these things. Not to mention, you have 0 understanding of the world around you. Everything is steeped in magic, mysticism, and voodoo. All the things the Bible says one must do to obtain Heaven, they never even dreamed them, let alone practice them. So those things didn't apply to the savage, who lived and died for 100's of yrs, before KJ ever even had the Bible translated?
                            What of them, and Gods commands? Do they all burn in hell?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Wow! What if he comes back to an alternate world where Slayer never existed?
                              Well that would be good, cuz I hate slayer, and Bob cant sing for s&$@ anyway

Comment

I hate slayer

this is the most blasphemous comment in this entire thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X