Navigating new ranch with no cell service help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigating new ranch with no cell service help

I wanted to see what you guys are using technology wise (if it exists) to help navigate the ranch where there is no cell service. We currently do not have a map with roads labeled on our new lease (28000 acres) and are still getting pretty turned around in the daylight. Once season rolls around and we are driving at night, it will be a giant cluster #&@$#.

Also, in preparation of trying to get a map with roads, is there a service you guys know of that has recent updated sky view maps? Google earth on our lease has maps that are 6+ years old, and the map is fuzzy and doesnt have all the recent road upgrades.

Thanks in advance.

use a topo..(pay for one if GM is outdated) ..and go put out directional signs.

Comment

check out bing maps. I have found they tend to be more current than google. You can also get a current map from the local extension office

Comment

Easiest thing would be to download the google map for your area if it's got enough detail to be useful. Downloads only last about 3 months i think. There are also a number of mapping apps that you can use that use GPS signal and don't rely on cell where you can download topo maps. GAIA GPS is one I use.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleplay43 View Post
          I wanted to see what you guys are using technology wise (if it exists) to help navigate the ranch where there is no cell service. We currently do not have a map with roads labeled on our new lease (28000 acres) and are still getting pretty turned around in the daylight. Once season rolls around and we are driving at night, it will be a giant cluster #&@$#.

Also, in preparation of trying to get a map with roads, is there a service you guys know of that has recent updated sky view maps? Google earth on our lease has maps that are 6+ years old, and the map is fuzzy and doesnt have all the recent road upgrades.

Thanks in advance.
          On X Hunt. App.

Comment

Navionics. Same as on my boat

Comment

Forgot to mention, no cell service needed. Uses satellites.

Comment

Buy a new Chevy truck and get OnStar wifi hooked up.

Or just print a map. Or download a map in whatever app you prefer to use.

Comment

Google maps is your friend. Print it out and show roads and stands. We did this for our 5k ranch in Mexico and it worked perfectly. Put markers out in some places isn't a bad idea either.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyAg97 View Post
                    Easiest thing would be to download the google map for your area if it's got enough detail to be useful. Downloads only last about 3 months i think. There are also a number of mapping apps that you can use that use GPS signal and don't rely on cell where you can download topo maps. GAIA GPS is one I use.
                    So this app will work on our iphone even when we have no service? So I can tell where I am at on the map?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                      On X Hunt. App.

Seconded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gaia GPS and Avenza apps will work if you download the maps of the area you are in. No cell service required.

Comment

I use the HuntStand app

Comment

Avenza maps with a georefrenced PDF map.

Use this setup 5 days a week and has made my gps nearly worthless. No service no problem and it’ll have updated imagery.

That said, I have access to ArcGIS at work which makes it possible.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                              Google maps is your friend. Print it out and show roads and stands. We did this for our 5k ranch in Mexico and it worked perfectly. Put markers out in some places isn't a bad idea either.
                              The google maps latest image isnt up to date and doesnt clearly show the roads

Comment

Working...
                              X