AR Builds and Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Builds and Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II

Over the past 5 years I've built about 10 ARs. I've gifted 2, built 6 for others or trade deals and the two I've kept and use are absolutely awesome shooters! The last 2 years I've collected parts and then recently purchased any remaining pieces to build up 2 more rifles and a pistol.

20" .308 AR10
    16" .223 wylde
    9" .300 Blk Out

I had an SWFA 1x4 scope still mounted and just sitting in the safe. It's gonna be perfect for that 300 blk out.

Over the past few weeks i decided i wanna coat them and maybe try some camo patterns. My current ARs are professionally cerakoted and i wanted to try my hand at a good coat project. I researched and found the best fit for what i wanted to do was Brownell's Aluma-hyde II. I got a few colors and still considering a matte clear at the end but I'll give it a test run first and see the sheen and decide if it's a go or not.

Prep:
    I piled up all the parts for each, got a piece of 220 grit sand paper and started the tedious process or lightly sanding down every piece. Every edge, corner and flat spot. This took me a few days off and on. Finally football season is here so I got a good beer, laid and old towel across my lap and lightly sanded/roughed up parts and pieces and watched my Texans or whatever other game was on. I filled up the sink with warm water and dawn dish soap and brushed each part clean of dust and any grease or oil. Most parts are new but i have a few pieces that were swapped for these projects. They have to be completely oil free. Once everything dried really well, i sprayed all parts down individually with a mix of vinegar, alcohol and water. I wiped each part with a polyester microfiber towel that was pretty much lint free and laid everything out on the floor.. they're ready for paint!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I live in a small place, no garage or workshop. I took all my reloading stuff off my table, hung a drop cloth and made a makeshift painting area

Comment

I want the blk out and 223 wylde to have the magpul fde as a base coat and the 308 to have earth brown. I started with the key pieces and got to spraying. The brownell's sprayed and layed on awesome! It's got an fan style spray pattern i had to figure out. I sprayed nice and slow and made each pass good and wet before changing directions. It's seriously only took one coat and a few touch up areas on each piece. I really like how this stuff went on! Way better that the typical rusto.. camo paint.

I made mini hangars with big paperclips and sprayed a piece and hung it up.

Here are a few of the base coats.

Now a 14 day cure time. I'm waiting on OD green back ordered anyway so i got some time!

Hope you guys like em and an I'll take any advice as the projects continue!

Comment

Cool I was just reading on this earlier I’m going to try this in the spring if yours goes well
        Thanks for sharing
        Vap

Comment

I’ve done several rifles in Alumihyde. Pretty durable finish for spray on. I just use brake cleaner then alcohol to prep then spray. I’ve done all of mine in summer and let hang in my shed for a week in the heat to cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Vap View Post
            Cool I was just reading on this earlier I’m going to try this in the spring if yours goes well
            Thanks for sharing
            Vap
            Awesome bud! I'l definitely keep updating herre but it will be two weeks probably.. I'm traveling a bit for the holidays and hunting. I look forward to getting these suckers out in the field!

Comment

Im heading out of town tonight for the long Thanksgiving weekend.. got this project finished last night. Prepped and painted my Omega, all the mounts and 2 pmags.. you can see the 308 mag is Earth Brown and the other is FDE

Comment

14 days.. all cured and looks awesome! Waiting on a backordered paint and i'l try my hand at some camo patterns

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Looks good! My experience with Alumihyde II is that while it is fast and relatively easy to use, it is not that durable. Not anywhere close to cerakote or other baked on finishes. Have you found that it works best when the metal is somewhat warm?

Comment

I just built a wylde and a 300 BO as well. I am watching this as I may do something similar.

I am thinking OD Green.

Also just started a build in 762x39

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                        Looks good! My experience with Alumihyde II is that while it is fast and relatively easy to use, it is not that durable. Not anywhere close to cerakote or other baked on finishes. Have you found that it works best when the metal is somewhat warm?
                        Thanks man! This is my first time using it.. it was probably 75 deg the night i painted.. i didn't purposely warm em up in any way. These will all rotate to the ranch at some point or another and be used chasing pigs around in the jeep or on the walk.. Hope it holds up well.. we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by Physhstyx View Post
                          I just built a wylde and a 300 BO as well. I am watching this as I may do something similar.

I am thinking OD Green.

Also just started a build in 762x39

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                          Very cool man! Those look good.. i like the green too, it's one of the paints on backorder right now at Brownell's

Comment

After 4 months of product on backorder, we're back under way. Getting all three rifles built up! In the last picture, the top one that's still being built is 223 wylde, the middle is AR10 308 and the bottom is 9.5" 300 blk out pistol

Comment

Im diggin the brown

Comment

Working...
                              X