Aspiring young blacksmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspiring young blacksmith

My son loves the show Forged In Fire, so at the ripe old age of 10yrs old, he has taken up blacksmithing. He saved up his allowance and bought a sledgehammer for an Advil, got himself a 3lb hammer, and spent time reading up on safety (my requirement) and basic methods.

Yesterday we tried a charcoal forge, and by forge I mean we just lit charcoal and crammed the steel in there. It worked ok for about a half hour before the coals were spent. I used my leaf blower to get it hot and we did get the steel to glow. This morning we've switched to the propane crawfish burner with stone on top and it works much better.

My son's goal is to make a basic knife. Even with just about one hour invested so far I believe he will definitely meet his goal in a couple weeks. Pretty fun project, and we're learning as we go.

The things we do for our kids! Lol. You guys are making great memories together. Something he will never forget. Good job dad!!

Comment

Awsome. In for end results.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I gotta admit, I think I'll want to give it a try after he finished his. I suspect we'll be making a proper forge after this, as I don't see this being a one-time whim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot, I have a railroad track anvil for him if we can find a way to get it from Seabrook to ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
            Shoot, I have a railroad track anvil for him if we can find a way to get it from Seabrook to ya'll.

Wow, he would love that! I'm in Kingwood and work near downtown. I'd be happy to meet you sometime and don't mind paying for it.

Comment

My 15 year old son started working with metal and making knives on his own about a year ago. He also loves the Forged in Fire show. He doesn't have a real forge or even a great set of tools but he loves it and his knives keep improving. This pic is a knife he finished yesterday, it was his first attempt at a micarta handle.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                My 15 year old son started working with metal and making knives on his own about a year ago. He also loves the Forged in Fire show. He doesn't have a real forge or even a great set of tools but he loves it and his knives keep improving. This pic is a knife he finished yesterday, it was his first attempt at a micarta handle.

That's really nice. Congrats to him.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                  That's really nice. Congrats to him.

Mighty fine grinding on the blade and the handle....you need to have him develop a logo and begin to etch it on his blades...the folks that collect knives really like to have them with the makers mark on them.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                    My son loves the show Forged In Fire, so at the ripe old age of 10yrs old, he has taken up blacksmithing. He saved up his allowance and bought a sledgehammer for an Advil, got himself a 3lb hammer, and spent time reading up on safety (my requirement) and basic methods.

Yesterday we tried a charcoal forge, and by forge I mean we just lit charcoal and crammed the steel in there. It worked ok for about a half hour before the coals were spent. I used my leaf blower to get it hot and we did get the steel to glow. This morning we've switched to the propane crawfish burner with stone on top and it works much better.

My son's goal is to make a basic knife. Even with just about one hour invested so far I believe he will definitely meet his goal in a couple weeks. Pretty fun project, and we're learning as we go.

Comment

Originally posted by stikflipr View Post

Comment

Thats awesome!

Comment

Hats off to your son sir, you also.
                          While most 10 year olds are inside gaming. You boy is gaining real world experience on how things get done. I am sure he will be great deal ahead of other his age as he maneuvers through the adult world at 10 years old

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                            Mighty fine grinding on the blade and the handle....you need to have him develop a logo and begin to etch it on his blades...the folks that collect knives really like to have them with the makers mark on them.
                            Thanks Winman for the kind words and advice, they put a big smile on his face. He has been working on a logo of sorts, he just hasn't put it on this blade yet. You can see it on this knife:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post

Dang that is nice! I showed my son and he is excited to get started again already. I think his first one will be more of a caping/pen knife, but he's pumped about seeing it through to a finished product.

Comment

Working...
                              X