What generation Texan are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigWes View Post
    Dude, 5 generations living?!?! That's amazing. I hope yall have taken the time to get a picture of that. One of my favorite pictures is me with my dad, grandfather and great grandfather.
    We have. Its definitely not something you see everyday. We have actually taken two. When my son was first born and last year at Christmas. I enjoy recreating pictures and just seeing the time lapse.

Comment

Holy smokes.......
      Hard to say
      6th generation on my moms side.......John Peter Sjolander was the first from Sweden in the later 1800's.....
      On my dads side though, who really knows!! Lineage was traced back to Cynthia Anne & Quanah Parker. So...who knows how long the Comanche bloodline has been here

Comment

What generation Texan are you?

I just check cause I couldn’t remember but I’m 10th generation Texan! Jesus P Ybarbo (our grandpa) was born in 1857 in Nacadoches, TX and died 1956.
        He was a Texas Ranger, he spent his youth as a cowboy driving herds of Longhorns cattle to Kansas City and Abilene before joining the Rangers. His great great grand father was Antonio Gil Y’Barbo one of the 1st settlers in the nacogdoches area before it was Tx he got a land grant from the queen of Spain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by tonyterry; 02-05-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
          I am 5th gen. Grandkids are 7th. Family originally came from England in early 1800. Several “notable” early Tatom’s. A Methodist preacher in Tn/Ky area who had 7 wives. Apparently life with him was hazardous to your health. Another, like S Slick mentioned, was partial to “borrowing” horses. One gentleman spelled his last name as Tatom, Tatem, Tatum, & Tathem in his own handwritten will! One Tatom died at Battle of Goliad. Looking up family history at old courthouses is interesting.
          Yea, my family name is also misspelled... Family originally came from Yorkshire, England in middle 1700's... Proper spelling is Cheatham... Most of my dad's brothers had their name "corrected", but my did nor I ever did... I'm the end of the road for the name since my son has already passed. Daughter will carry the lineage, but not the name... My grandsons are 6th generation Texans though with hopefully many more generations to come...

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            5th, my kids are the 6th
            Same for me.

Comment

At least 6th or 7th. Dad's family came here in 1821 with Austin's "Old 300". Had family that fought at San Jacinto, including Edward Burleson 2nd in command under Houston. More family fought at the Alamo and the family bible is on display there.

Comment

2nd Gen, My parents came here in the early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post
                  I just check cause I couldn’t remember but I’m 10th generation Texan! Jesus P Ybarbo (our grandpa) was born in 1857 in Nacadoches, TX and died 1956.
                  He was a Texas Ranger, he spent his youth as a cowboy driving herds of Longhorns cattle to Kansas City and Abilene before joining the Rangers. His great great grand father was Antonio Gil Y’Barbo one of the 1st settlers in the nacogdoches area before it was Tx he got a land grant from the queen of Spain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Wow, very cool!

Comment

9th generation Texan. My kiddos are the 10th. Elias Wightman is my great x6 grandpa. He was part of the “Old 300” and was the surveyor for Moses and Stephen F. Austin. Surveyed and plotted out Matagorda.

Comment

8th generation. My family were some of the original Alsatian settlers of Medina and Castroville on my dad's side, and Beeville on my mom's side.

Comment

4th, but my family arrived in Galveston in 1855.
                        On my dad's side.
                        They helped found the town of Saint Hedwig.
                        Last edited by Brute Killer; 02-05-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

6th I think. Might be 7th. Ancestors on my Dad's side got here in 1838. My kids are 8th on my wife's side. The wife is a direct descendent of Capt Jesse Billingsley. He fought under Burleson at San Jacinto and was wounded in his left hand. There is a pair of his boots at the top of the San Jacinto monument.

Comment

My mother's father was born sometime before 1906 in Glasgow Scotland and my mother was born 1925 Butte Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Not sure where my great grandfather was born, but he rode with the James Gang.. My grandfather's name was Jesse James Cheatom and he was born here in Texas... The gang had fled Missouri and come to Texas to hide out from the Feds n Pinkerton boys so that makes me at least 3 generations maybe 4 or more... My grandmother on that side was a Cherokee, and never had a birth certificate, but supposedly came from northeast Okla or SW Mo. My grandpa was sure fun to sit and listen to... He was born in 1883 and lived to be a hunert... Died in October... If he'd made it to January, he'd a been a hunert n 1... Was real healthy and mentally sharp until about 6-8 months before his death... He plowed a 1+acre garden with a dang merry-tiller when he was well into his 90's!! I'm a proud Texan, but come from a bunch of crooks!
                              Don't feel alone in that, my kinfolks where locked up in jails in Texas when it was still Mexico. I do have kin who fought for Texas on both sides of my family.

Comment

Ammon, the son of a Revolutionary War veteran, grew up on his father's farm in Dracut. In 1834, "for no other reason except to gratify a wild and rambling notion," he left his family and friends in Massachusetts and headed for Texas, then the state of Coahuila and Texas in the Republic of Mexico.

I always liked this quote, I have done a few things in my life for the same reasons.

Seventh here, I am not as involved as I used to be, but this is a good group for those that are interested.

Comment

Working...
                                X