Another knife for another brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
    I guess knife making just takes a lot of patience. Ordinarily the imperfections wouldn't bother me so much, but I really tried hard this time to make a perfect knife, and I kept messing up at every step, which was very discouraging. I just wanted to see how nice of a knife I could make if I was patient, careful, and meticulous, and I guess discovering my limits put me in a bit of a funk.
    I've found that once you've figured out a "routine" for knifemaking, it's best to stay with it for a while. I've discovered new tricks to try. Some have worked, some didn't. And, I've also discovered that sometimes, a particular knife just won't cooperate for some reason. Even if you are doing everything right. The next knife, goes without a hitch and looks perfect, using the same techniques. You will be your own worst critic. We all do it when we take pride in something we make. I'm sure your brother will be very happy with it.

Comment

Awesome craftmanship!Next time try a titanium coated 1/2" Irwin step drill.It steps up gradually and has a 5/16" step.

Comment

Looks good I have one wrapped in buckeye burl I will be shaping the handle on today

Comment

Man, you are getting better than me. Stop it!

J/K. You are doing outstanding work. Keep it up. As mentioned, those little flaws that you see just give it personality, and most people wouldn't even know they are there.

Comment

I'm betting your steel was work hardening as you drilled it. I'm not sure if 1080 will do that or not but that's what it sounds like. Try using cutting oil or something to keep it cool next time. I've had the same thing happen. I just heated the areas around the holes to red hot again, let it cool, and then finished drilling.

Comment

Sam, great looking knife and sheath. Great work!

Comment

I would buy one from you.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                  I'm betting your steel was work hardening as you drilled it.
                  I think you are probably right.

I just heated the areas around the holes to red hot again, let it cool, and then finished drilling.
                  I tried that, but it didn't help much. Oh well.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I'm pretty sure my brother will be happy with it. I can't wait 'till he gets it. You have to admit that buckeye burl is pretty.

Comment

Way to hard on your self! Knife and sheath look great!

Comment

I have been working slowly for several years learning the art of making custom fishing rods, one thing I have learned from other artist be it one who paints, does pottery, leather craft etc, we are our worst critics.

I ould buy one of your knives, even this one here. I love the shape, the handle great work.

Comment

What is the wood you used for the handle?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrychester View Post
                            What is the wood you used for the handle?
                            Stabilized buckey burl.

Comment

Beautiful! That buckey burl is pretty stuff!

Comment

Man that is slick!! Beautiful knife

Comment

Working...
                                X