West Texas "Wideeeee"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Texas "Wideeeee"

Last weekend, I was hunting out in the West Texas town of El Dorado. It was a low fence, 4k acre ranch that really wasn’t set up for bow hunting. In fact, since there were no tripods on the place, I actually hunted out of a makeshift “turkey” blind which consisted of mesquite branches wrapped around a nice tree for some back cover. I was skeptical about setting up pop-up blind on such short notice so this would have to do. When I got in the blind on Saturday morning, the elements were not in my favor as the wind was to my back blowing my scent directly towards the feeder pen . I sprayed down good with scent killer and was wearing a Scent Lok suit so that was a plus. In addition to a bad wind, the feeder never went off but a few deer starting making their way into the area to the hand corn that was thrown out in front of me. At one point, I had several does and a young 8-pt just 10yds in front of me which made it impossible to move. A high racked forky cull buck came in so I made up my mind to shoot him. He kept moving, the other deer kept obstructing my shot or I had yearlings feeding my way so it seemed like an eternity before I got a green light. Just as I eased the Creed up to draw and take this deer, I caught movement to my right about 100 yards away. I slowly looked over that way and saw nothing but antlers moving across the low bushes. No further evaluation needed…This was a shooter! The big buck eventually made his way into my shooting area and started feeding on the hand corn. He was feeding away from me and appeared to be heading towards the feeder pen (which I would have no shot if he decided to jump in it . I decided it was now or never so when he quartered slightly to the right, I drew and settled the pin on his third rib aiming for the opposite shoulder and let the arrow fly. Thwack! He jumped up on impact and bolted off stumbling as he headed back to the thick brush with most of the arrow still buried deep in him. The “shakes” set in badly as I waited about 45 minutes before starting the recovery efforts. We found good blood out for about 100 yards and then nothing. As that “sick feeling” started to come over me, I immediately elected to call in the tracking dogs to try and find my deer. After about an hour, this fantastic dog found my buck nearly 2 miles away! It appears that the angle of the shot was a lot steeper than I thought so I only got part the right lung. The buck was a 6yr old wide 9-pt with a 21 ½” spread and scored just over 140. I could not have been more relived and happy to get my hands on him. I am truly a blessed man to get the opportunity hunt some of the places that I do.

Good Hunting to you all!

K-Man
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kamoman; 11-15-2016, 10:33 AM.

WOW! Great Buck!!!!

Comment

Nice buck...congrats!

Comment

That's a good'un. Congrats.

Comment

Good work!

Comment

Great buck, congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a nice Buck!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Very nice and my hats off to you for pulling it off out of that blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck of a buck, congrats big time!

Comment

Great buck!!! Congrats!!!!

Comment

Holy Moly!!! Nice Buck, Congrats

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

great buck

Comment

Heck of a deer! He will look great on the wall. he is just super showy!

Comment

Working...
                              X