22LR ELR? Ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22LR ELR? Ammo?

Been dabbling a bit shooting 22LR at 300+ yards. I'm shooting a Savage Mark II FVSR topped with a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope. I did a home brew rail cant by basically shimming the rear of the base up by 0.042" and bedding it with JB weld. With the factory 0 MOA rail, I could only get about 6 mil of elevation adjustment with a 50 yard zero. I can now get ~14ish depending on the ammo I zero with. 345 yards needs about 17 mils using barely subsonic (1030 FPS) ammo.

What is killing me is ammo inconsistency. At 50 or 100 yards, this rifle is right at 1 MOA with most ammo. Take that same ammo to 345 (this is what the steel ranges at at my range), and you get hit, hit, hit, 10' high in the berm, hit, hit the ground 20 yards shy, hit, etc. I've tried every ammo available at the box stores. Best so far is the Gemtech subs, but they are still throwing flyers.

Anyone else try the ELR? What ammo are you using?

tagged.

I'm looking for some consistent ammo as well for my CZ 457 I just got.

Comment

Gemtech is what I’ve had the best luck with at distance. Made two back to back kills at 396 yds on BABY prairie dogs with my FVSR and Gemtech subs.

Comment

i'm using Eley Force. this is 25,50,75 , 100 yards. will see if it holds to 200yrd. this was my Sako Quad

.22lr ammo will wear you out. when i was shooting .22 Bench rest, you found a "lot" number of ammo that worked and bought as much as you can afford. try Killough Sports, you might find a deal on a lot of ammo

Comment

You need quality ammo like eley or gemtech. Once you have your ammo use a quality rim thickness gauge and sort by measurements into batches.

This is the gauge I would suggest http://www.neiljones.com/html/rimfire_gauge.html

Comment

It’s easier said than done. Use the ammo with the smallest ES and SD in your rifle and you have a good start. The biggest problem is the wind, it plays havoc on them big time at longer ranges. Black box Eley shoots great but is pricey.

Comment

Working...
            X