No announcement yet.

Rescued Heirlooms and a BIG THANK YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff Charlie , you are a good man.
    Sorry about your flood damage, hope all gets worked out

Comment

Very cool! I sure was hoping they'd be alright.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow awesome

Comment

I inherited 2 of my grandfather's guns, a model 99 and an old ithaca 37 from the 50's. Either one i couldn't imagine losing. Tbh is good stuff

Comment

Good people doing great things for others!!

Comment

Doug. I may have found you a box of ammo. Give me a couple weeks

Comment

TBH crowd is some of the greatest there is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good stuff right there!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Doug. I may have found you a box of ammo. Give me a couple weeks
                    That would be awesome Glen!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Doug, that old Winchester would be good to go as far as shooting/hunting with it IF and it's a BIG IF you could find ammo for it!! It's a 30 WCF... ain't seen no shells to fit that sucker in a long time... If you can reload, you might load some 30-30 rounds that will shoot in it just fine... Dimensionally, they are the same. The gun is in excellent mechanical shape.

Here are some details of this old gun:

Winchester introduced the Model 55 in June of the year 1924. This was a brand new variant of the Model 94 Sporting Rifle, and it was apparently introduced to fill the gap between the standard Model 94 Sporting Rifle with its 26-inch barrel and the standard Model 94 Carbine with its 20-inch barrel. It was offered in calibers 30 W.C.F., 25-35 W.C.F., and 32 W.S. with a 24-inch rapid taper nickel steel barrel.

Production of the Model 55 began on June 26th, 1924 and it ended in late December of 1932. The total production is estimated to be 20,580 rifles. The Model 55 was initially offered in Take Down only, but was changed to solid frame only in early 1931. It is estimated that 82% of the total production were Take Downs, making the solid frame variant relatively rare.

Initially, the Model 55 was serialized in its own serial number range, with serial numbers 1 – 12002 completed through March 7th, 1928. After March 7th, 1928, the Model 55 serial numbers were co-joined with the Model 94 until the end of production.

Special order options were offered but are rarely found. The most common special order option was a Stainless Steel barrel.

The Cody Firearms Museum research office has the Polishing Room serialization records for all of the independent serial number range rifles, and for all of them in the Model 94 serial number range.

Link: https://winchestercollector.org/models/model-55

Doug's is a solid frame model. I think It'd be pretty cool for Doug to add a notch to that forearm!
                      Isn't the 30WCF and the 30-30 the same thing, with the 30 WCF being renamed 30-30 after Marlin changed the name on their guns, and it stuck as a 30-30?

Great job on all the guns!!!

Comment

Great job Mr. Charles. Guns look great. Bust a deer with one Doug. I shot a doe at the Victoria lease that time with a 30-30. Good place to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Isn't the 30WCF and the 30-30 the same thing, with the 30 WCF being renamed 30-30 after Marlin changed the name on their guns, and it stuck as a 30-30?

Great job on all the guns!!!
                          Dimensionally they are "the same" short of the minor changes as the round has evolved over the many years it's been around. However, today's loads are likely a bit "hotter" than what that gun was designed for. don't know if there's reduced redcoil rounds for a 30-30 or not, but if so, they'd probably be ideal for the gun... I'd hate to see him crack the stock (it has small wood cracks in it already) or something like that. Mechanically, it is VERY sound... Probably fewer rounds through that old gun than many modern model 94's of today... Back when Doug's grandfather was huntin' with it, every shot counted and and you didn't "waste" ammo by "just shootin"...

I scrubbed the bore really well... very well could have been the first time that bore had ever been cleaned unless Doug did it... The chamber is clean with some pitting that is common in these old guns in the throat. Rifling is not crisp and sharp any longer, but it has a clean crown and will probably shoot plenty accurately enough with the open sights to whack a deer or hog at normal range for that caliber and load... It's got a longer barrel than the typical 94...

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                            X