sprayer and poison help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sprayer and poison help

I couldn't find someone to come spray our ranch so I decided to put together my own rig. I will be spraying 3.5 miles of fence line, Johnson grass patches, and spot spraying mesquite so I'm looking for a boomless spray bar as well as wond. Does anyone have any recommendations for sprayers to buy or stay away from? Right now I'm leaning towards the Flimco 45 Gal. UTV sprayer. Also what herbicide do you like to use for the 3 applications? I have been researching it but would love some first hand experience. Thanks

link to sprayer

I saw a lot of bad reviews on the Flimco pumps. I bough NorthStar from Northern Tool, it had great reviews and has lasted me 3 years with zero issues and has wand plus broadcast spray (16ft).

Mesquite use diesel and Remedy or some other selective herbicide designed to take down "woody" plants.

For killing grass on fence lines use Glyphosate.

Not sure on the Johnson Grass as I have never had to deal with any.

* Disregard I was thinking of County Line not Fimco sprayers the other brand Tractor Supply sells but would still go with NorthStar.
    Last edited by Ætheling; 05-25-2017, 08:50 AM. Reason: Wrong Brand

Comment

I have a northstar also. The pump lasted about 5 years and i had to replace last year, but that was probably my fault for not cleaning it out everytime i sprayed diesel.
      I use Remedy Ultra and Diesel for mesquite and it does a good job.

i use the roundup concentrate for all my grasses and other weeds and it seems to do a good job too.

Comment

Do you have applicators license? If not you wont be able to get the good stuff.

Comment

I do not have an applicators license I looked into getting it but haven't gotten around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
            Do you have applicators license? If not you wont be able to get the good stuff.
            Sure you can, just got to shop at Feedstores East of I 45 in town with less than 1k people They seem to be more relaxed about these things.

Comment

Remedy, Sendero, glyphosate (roundup) won't require a license.

Comment

if you want to kill the grass and keep it dead for a year or two then look into Sahara - just do not use where you might get runoff into trees you want. It is bad*** stuff

Comment

I bought a north Star sprayer on recommendation last week. Just make sure you get the regulator kit or it pumps out at 70psi.

I have some palmettos I need to get rid of and think I'm going to have to get someone to get me some cimarron max... just not 100% sure yet. I was trying to find other alternatives.

Comment

I have heard good stuff about Sendero on mesquites.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard with the remedy diesel mix you only need to spray the bottom 6 inches to kill it. Anyone know how effective that will be? I've read some stuff about Johnson grass specific herbscide that won't kill everything but it seemed to have mixed reviews.

Comment

I am going to buy the 26 gallon tank and sprayer from Northstar after everyone has been recommending it. plan on getting rid of some briars!

Comment

If you're gonna get the northstar, forego the one with the boomless attachment. If you don't strap it down perfectly, it'll spray at funny angles. Just get the northstar spot sprayer (wand only) and then buy this to attach:

I've got that exact setup, and it'll spray about a 20 ft swath (not 25) for about a mile of road/fence.

I'm gonna be switching to a 40 gallon, soon, so I can get about 1-1/2 miles before refilling.

Regarding the remedy/diesel, just use a 1 gallon pump up sprayer. Mix 1 qt remedy to 3 qts diesel. You'd do well to use the conejet 5500 x-1 tip and a different wand that Texas a&m Brush Busters recommends, otherwise, you'll go through the stuff so fast, it'll cost a fortune.

Oh, and here's the cheapest triclopyr (remedy) you'll find.

The Dow brand stuff will run you $89 a gallon at Tractor Supply (vs $55 gallon shipped for this)

Comment

marked for later

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
                              If you're gonna get the northstar, forego the one with the boomless attachment. If you don't strap it down perfectly, it'll spray at funny angles. Just get the northstar spot sprayer (wand only) and then buy this to attach:

I've got that exact setup, and it'll spray about a 20 ft swath (not 25) for about a mile of road/fence.

I'm gonna be switching to a 40 gallon, soon, so I can get about 1-1/2 miles before refilling.

Regarding the remedy/diesel, just use a 1 gallon pump up sprayer. Mix 1 qt remedy to 3 qts diesel. You'd do well to use the conejet 5500 x-1 tip and a different wand that Texas a&m Brush Busters recommends, otherwise, you'll go through the stuff so fast, it'll cost a fortune.

Oh, and here's the cheapest triclopyr (remedy) you'll find.

The Dow brand stuff will run you $89 a gallon at Tractor Supply (vs $55 gallon shipped for this)
                              That's a really good price on generic remedy.

Comment

Working...
                              X