Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do YOU cut your carbon arrows to length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magnumglide View Post
    It's a tubing cutter for gods sake, not a diesel powered combine carrying nitro glycerine being held by an epileptic pygmy striking matches repeatedly while juggling sticks of dynamite! If you ran over a carbon arrow with your truck tire, the tire and truck will be safe. You blast the same shafts out of your bow a mere inch from your eye! Is it that volatile? Worst thing you could do is go to fast, against the posters instructions, maybe have a dull blade, and end up with a rough cut end. You should not have ANY emergency room bills here. If you do, step away from the tool box, and list your bow on Ebay. I liked the idea of a poster practicing on a bad arrow. That's just common sense. Oh, and don't use anything but Harley oil in your Harley. You'll ruin it, the engine will cease up, and the world will be a bad place. At least accoring to Harley. They also have people in an "I'm scared to try it mode". Helps with the bottom line. I like people who are do it yerselfers and can think through a fix, instead of tossing money at it, regardless of their personal finances.
    Well now....Thanks for setting us all straight.

Comment

When you buy them let the guys at the store cut them to length

Comment

Cutting carbon fiber shafts with a metallic tubing cutter induces stresses risers and micro fracture just waiting to fail under the subjected forces of acceleration of modern compound bow cams. You are setting up a catastrophic accident. Tic tock, tic tock. Use the proper tool for the job.
        Attached Files

Comment

Beside NOT using a tubing cutter, you might want to invest in a cheap face mask. The dust is bad for the lungs, and I don't know how much is too much. Please guys the mfg says, DO NOT CUT SHAFTS WITH ANYTHING ELSE BUT A HIGH SPEED SAW!

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
            Cutting carbon fiber shafts with a metallic tubing cutter induces stresses risers and micro fracture just waiting to fail under the subjected forces of acceleration of modern compound bow cams. You are setting up a catastrophic accident. Tic tock, tic tock. Use the proper tool for the job.
            Is that pic from an arrow exploding while being released?

Comment

And if you were wondering there is NO medical equipment that will find carbon fiber shards or splinters in the human body. I know I have carbon fiber in my left hand….and no it did not come from an arrow shaft failure.

Comment

Originally posted by JMG View Post
                Is that pic from an arrow exploding while being released?
                I was told YES

Comment

I was thinking about one of these http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/arr...ffsaw5000.aspx Looks a lot like the one that I saw in the shop that cut my arrows last time.

Comment

100.00 bucks
                    Shop the best bowhunting, archery, sportsman & outdoor equipment at low prices. Save money & get it fast with same-day shipping on the best outdoor brands.

Comment

I was told YES
                      I get my shafts cut to length at the local archery pro shop I order them from, and they do not charge me for the 'service'. I bring them home and fletch/ glue in the nocks and inserts myself.

If the use of a tubing cutter caused fatigue or stresses in the carbon arrow shaft, it would not break 20+ inches away down the shaft like in that picture. What I would expect (but have not seen) would be the shaft might (possibly) develop a crack at the insert which worked it's way backwards down the shaft.

Where I have seen carbon arrows break in front of the fletching like that (and I'll come clean amongst friends here) was when I (dumb-****) soaked my carbon arrows in acetone to removed the old glue the 1st time I refletched them. I took the refletched arrows to the range for a 3d shoot, and had 3 arrows snap right where the 'line' of the acetone on the shaft had been. Lucky for me they snapped when they hit the 3d targets, not when I released them. I got rid of the others el-pronto.

Comment

I was told YES
                        Wow. That looked painful and I'm sure it was jagged when it went in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollis F View Post
                          X2
                          Same here. I buy shafts from Hunter's Friend pre-cut. They will cut to the nearest 1/4" if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
                            Well now....Thanks for setting us all straight.
                            Yes Sir! And on his first post to boot

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumglide View Post
                              It's a tubing cutter for gods sake, not a diesel powered combine carrying nitro glycerine being held by an epileptic pygmy striking matches repeatedly while juggling sticks of dynamite! If you ran over a carbon arrow with your truck tire, the tire and truck will be safe. You blast the same shafts out of your bow a mere inch from your eye! Is it that volatile? Worst thing you could do is go to fast, against the posters instructions, maybe have a dull blade, and end up with a rough cut end. You should not have ANY emergency room bills here. If you do, step away from the tool box, and list your bow on Ebay. I liked the idea of a poster practicing on a bad arrow. That's just common sense. Oh, and don't use anything but Harley oil in your Harley. You'll ruin it, the engine will cease up, and the world will be a bad place. At least accoring to Harley. They also have people in an "I'm scared to try it mode". Helps with the bottom line. I like people who are do it yerselfers and can think through a fix, instead of tossing money at it, regardless of their personal finances.
                              Although I don't even feel this is intelligent enough to even warrant a response I will just say, you do it how you want and I'll do it how I want.

Comment

look up arrow saw under the DYI section

Comment

Working...
                                X