Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on coroplast for deer blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts on coroplast for deer blind?

I'm building a blind that will mainly be used about 2 weeks a year in Kansas. I think someone here used coroplast (corrugated plastic) on a blind. Do y'all think it will work? What are the pros and cons?

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

I have heard of several people building blinds with coroplast. There were some older threads that showed thier completed product...so I think it would work.

Comment

I have used it about 10 years ago, and unfortunately I do not have any pics of it anymore. It is easy to work with, and relatively inexpensive. I got mine for free from work. It was kind of an OD green color already, but it is painted. I welded the frame out of 1inch angle iron, and then attached the panels or corr. plastic. One note though, use fender washers on either bolts and buts (recommended) or self tapping screws when attaching. You will be glad you did when you take it to the lease, and you do not have to stop and pick up panels in the middle of the highway.
      -crb

Comment

sure would keep the weight down, but I would think in a heavy wind, it might collapse unless braced like crazy. Then that would defeat the weight advantage. I would also think there are very little insulating properties to it, and it might get real cold on a windy snowy KS morning. But if you do try it, I am very interested in the results.

Comment

Originally posted by temple droptine View Post
          I have used it about 10 years ago, and unfortunately I do not have any pics of it anymore. It is easy to work with, and relatively inexpensive. I got mine for free from work. It was kind of an OD green color already, but it is painted. I welded the frame out of 1inch angle iron, and then attached the panels or corr. plastic. One note though, use fender washers on either bolts and buts (recommended) or self tapping screws when attaching. You will be glad you did when you take it to the lease, and you do not have to stop and pick up panels in the middle of the highway.
          -crb
          I was thinking about using self tapping screws with washers. It's going to be broken down for travel and assembled on site. On a steel frame, will the self tapping screws hold after several times of the blind being put together and taken apart or will the hole get so big the screws won't hold anymore?

Comment

I came across a bunch of political signs last election made from coroplast. I used some to make a blind. The biggest problem that I found was painting. I used straight latex, and it just did not stick well. Other than that the blind has been out for one year straight and looks to be in good shape.

Comment

I like to pre drill and label things, maybe a bit OCC, who knows. I would think the self tapping would work several times, but I would hate to show up and have a panel missing? JMO though.
              -crb

Comment

Big Smith, I think political signs may scare off the deer, they can smell the BS a whole lot better than the rest of us.
                -crb

Comment

Good one Temple. The funny thing is I supported our DA strongly, but after he won, I was able to get some T post and the signs from the opponent. They did not want to have to remove them, so I traded out the labor. Worked out well, if I could get paint to cover them.

Comment

I built several of these over the years.. Hunted out of them for a long time. Instead of using the self tapping screws, drill larger holes in the frame and run a long bolt with a wingnut on it.. Very easy to put on and take off without any noise from a drill. AS for being tough, They are only as tough as the frame you put it on. If it is weak, you blind will work, just dont expect years of services.. If your frame is strong, then you will be hunting out of it 10 years from now.. Just by the black coraplaz and stretch the Camo Shoot through mess around each pannel.Tape it on the inside with black Electrical tape around the 4 edges. I will try to find some pictures.

Comment

Here ya go... This has camo material glued on the walls and mesh in the windows. We had a tornado come through and this blind was still anchored down and held together.. What you can not see if the 3 or 4 gigantic trees laying around this blind that feel during the storm....

Click image for larger version

Name:	tornado13a.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	23899862

Comment

Big Smith, I did not have the pleasure of having to paint mine. But, I would think any type of Acrylic spray would work. Or I kinda like the camo wrap above. That is sharp, but possibly expensive. I am a tight wad.
                        -crb

Comment

Originally posted by big 8 View Post
                          I think someone here used coroplast (corrugated plastic)
                          OK, call me a dummy, but I've never heard of this stuff before. What is it and where can you get it??
                          I am also gonna be building a "box blind" for me and my boy to hunt out of. The frame is gonna be 2 x 2 angle that I picked up from the scrap yard. I know if I go with the standard "plywood board", it's gonna be pretty heavy to place on a 6' stand.

Comment

Anyone have a good link or location to purchase? Just searched a few places online and came up with $50 a sheet for 4x8...

Comment

My coroplast Blind has lasted 5 years so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X