First Bowkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bowkill

After 5 years of trying, I finally was blessed with an awesome opportunity.

This took place on Tuesday, the 12th. I had gotten the kids off to school and was debating taking the rifle and sitting in the ground blind (It was 26 in Neches that morning with winds). I got all my gear and scent regimen completed and started to leave around 10. I was organizing things and put the dog on the lease. I thought this isn't so bad. I left the rifle in the house. I took a wagon with a bag of corn and headed for the treestand. I poured out the corn, hung my doe in rut scent, and climbed up in the stand.

Before I mounted and turned on the Ozonics, I had a doe come out downwind and didn't stay long. I finished setting up the Ozonics and settled in.

At 1100, I had a doe come in quartering to me feeding at the corn. Waiting patiently for a shot, I had a buck with impressive brow tines come in downwind with his nose to the ground. He was quartering to me and his vitals were behind a tree. I waited for my opportunity, but he followed her out and I thought he was gone forever.

At 1200, they came back out but were too far away for a shot. Again, I thought I'd never see him again.

At around 1245, I ate a PB sandwich and debating voiding and drinking a cup of coffee. A doe came in from behind me and went to the corn. I was getting ready for a shot, and I saw the buck again. I ranged where I thought he was coming in (25 yards) and got set up. I waited for him to pause. He turned broadside and was looking the other way. I drew back and settled in, aimed, and let it fly. I knew that I hit him, but wasn't sure where.

I knocked down 2 cups of coffee. After 30 minutes, I climbed down and examined the arrow. Again new I hit him, but didn't find a lot of blood.

I decided to go back home, give him some time, and come back with my truck just in case. I brought my wife (my expert tracker) and dog back. We began the search.

I showed her the arrow and how the scene played out. We began in the general direction, occasionally finding blood. My dog Daisy took headed out with nose to the ground. Long story short, the buck only went 75-100 yards. Double lung shot with a Wac Em 3 blade broadhead.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Comment

That's a very nice buck sir. I'm sure you're hooked on bowhunting even more now.

Comment

Nice buck, congrats

Comment

Dang! Very nice buck. Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Dang right impressive brows. Great buck and congrats to you !

Comment

Wow! That is one heck of a first buck. Took me a really long time to get a good one. Congrats to you and Daisy!

Comment

And just like that......he was tired of shooting deer with a rifle.

Comment

Great job

Comment

Heck yeah.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X