Protein feeder and fence question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder and fence question

We are going to start feeding protein this year for the first time on our new place. The problem is we have hogs. I know everyone is building a fence to keep out the hogs. My question is can the hogs eat out of a free choice feeder that's not like a llamco style feeder with a trough? I'm talking about a feeder that's the height of a all season or krivoman type feeder. We don't want to build a fence if the hogs can't reach up that high. But if they can then we will build a fence.

There may not be any protein feeder that hogs can't eat out of. Just looking for input?

They can reach up and eat from the drop tube they will bump the legs and feed will fall out as well

Comment

Build a pen out of hog panels. Use 10-12 of them and plentya tposts.

Comment

What about from a all season stand and fill type feeder? They have more of a rectangular opening with a lip on the bottom.

Comment

Hogs will figure out a way to get the feed if they are not fenced out. They will bump the legs, stand up on their rear legs and bump the spout, etc. Fence it and be done with it, you won't have to worry about hogs. We use a minimum of 6 hog panels if we are doing a round pen, at least 8 if we are building a square pen. Also, put a Tpost every 8 feet of fence.

Comment

You be the judge !! Big old Mexico Boar !!
            Attached Files

Comment

Good article that I used when fencing out the hogs on my lease. They had literally taken over my feeder. I bought 5 foot tall panels and cut them in half and overlapped each panel by one square and put a t-post at each joint and a t-post halfway of each panel. Problem solved. The article states that 20 inch tall fence will keep most pigs but not all pigs out while 28 inch and 34 inch tall fence will keep all out. I cut the panels in half and put the cut side down in the dirt on each one. No more hogs in the pen. They come around occasionly to meet their fate but just walk around the outside of the pen hoping to pick up a few kernels that the spinner sometimes throws out of the inclosure. Since it is only 30 inches tall the deer are not intimidated at all. Even the yearlings jump in.

Comment

Putting up a fence and keeping the hogs out is a must!!! Then all you will have to contend with is with the **** coons!!! Good Luck!

Comment

Big pigs can reach pretty high...
                  You may be ok until a big boy comes by, best money is to use pannels .

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Comment

You could take the legs off feeder and strap it to tree high enough were hogs can't reach it. Put a piece of wood between feeder and tree at top so u can get lid off. I have pic but don't no how to post it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy_seeker View Post
                        http://plumcreek.tamu.edu/media/7351...g-stations.pdf

Good article that I used when fencing out the hogs on my lease. They had literally taken over my feeder. I bought 5 foot tall panels and cut them in half and overlapped each panel by one square and put a t-post at each joint and a t-post halfway of each panel. Problem solved. The article states that 20 inch tall fence will keep most pigs but not all pigs out while 28 inch and 34 inch tall fence will keep all out. I cut the panels in half and put the cut side down in the dirt on each one. No more hogs in the pen. They come around occasionly to meet their fate but just walk around the outside of the pen hoping to pick up a few kernels that the spinner sometimes throws out of the inclosure. Since it is only 30 inches tall the deer are not intimidated at all. Even the yearlings jump in.

Do you have cattle on the property? If so do they step over 30" panel? We've had a few "crazy" cows go through/over 3-strand barb wire pens. 30" seems like they could just step over em.

Does anyone else have experience with cows getting in over short panels? I like the idea of keeping it short for deer and not running a strand of barb wire above the panel (it would no longer be a short jump for deer).

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                          Do you have cattle on the property? If so do they step over 30" panel? We've had a few "crazy" cows go through/over 3-strand barb wire pens. 30" seems like they could just step over em.

Does anyone else have experience with cows getting in over short panels? I like the idea of keeping it short for deer and not running a strand of barb wire above the panel (it would no longer be a short jump for deer).
                          Luckily do not have to deal with cows.

Comment

No cows on our place thank goodness

Comment

I have hog panels around my feeders and cows do not get in. You should be fine..

Comment

Working...
                              X