Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck Gumbo (or how to not have duck taste like duck)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Gumbo (or how to not have duck taste like duck)

I wanted to post this recipe I found on the internet for duck gumbo. It's easy (I could make something that tasted great) and effective (if you don't like how wild duck tastes like liver).

Duck Gumbo Recipe
    8 cups of water
    6 duck breasts - filleted (cut into 1/2" pieces)
    1/2 c veg. oil
    Flour
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 cup sliced bell peppers
    1 cup sliced yellow onion
    1 can of peeled tomatoes (big can, 26 ouonces?)
    1 can chicken and rice soup (10 ounce)
    2 chicken bouillon cubes
    2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
    2 whole bay leaves
    1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
    2 tablespoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon Salt
    1 tablespoon pepper

Using a 1 1/2 gallon pot, bring the water to a boil. Heat the vegatable oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Put the flour in a ziploc bag. Take the duck cubes and shake until lightly coated. Take those cubes and brown in preheated pan for about 5 minutes. They should be about medium rare to medium. Saute all the vegetables in medium skillet. You'll know it's ready when the yellow onions begin to brown. Add duck cubes and stir-fry for 10 minutes.

Go back to the boiling water and dissolve the chicken bullion cubes. Add the chicken rice soup, tomatoes and the seasonings (you may want to add more of your own). Add the sauted vegetables and duck to the pot and cover and cook 45 minutes at medium-low heat.

The key to a good duck gumbo recipe is the roux. To make roux, take a skillet and heat oil to medium hot. Sprinkle a 1/4 cup of flour into the oil and stir. This is the starting point, and you'll want to add more until you find the right consistency. Add a little flour in small increments until flour/oil mixture is lighte brown and dry. This usually takes around ten minutes. Be VERY careful not to burn the roux, or you'll have to start over. When it's ready, let the roux cool for 5 minutes.

Return the roux to the duck soup after soup cooks 45 minutes. Cover and cook another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. I used to strainer to mash up any tomatos that had not fallen apart and put it back in the pot.

Remove from duck gumbo from the heat, set aside 20 minutes. Serve the gumbo in bowls with white rice and cover. This is a classic duck gumbo recipe.

The proof of the puddin's in the eatin', so here's my son and I feasting on reheats on our next duck hunt. This picture was taken at the Los Banos (CA) Wildlife Area 12/30/06.

Click image for larger version

Name:	buck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	24718926

Thanks, Bill. I'm looking forward to trying that one. First, I gotta get some of dem duckies!

Comment

I should "trade" you a green wing teal for a blue wing, since the other variety are rare where we hunt. I've only seen pictures of a blue wing, and GWT buzz us out here at first light.

Comment

sounds like a good cook to me. ill have to try that next time i go out to the marsh. i usually give em away to my buds when i get them. not anymore though.

Comment

Sounds good Bill. Where is the okra? Gumbo w/o okra?

Comment

Sounds good, but trust me, That ain't gumbo!

Comment

Shoot a pheasant instead - it won't taste like duck.

Comment

I agree with Jr.- Bill send me an e-mail I will send you a recipe that is real gumbo. No totomatos,bell peppers, or chicken flavor.
                Jason-okra??? You are killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                  I agree with Jr.- Bill send me an e-mail I will send you a recipe that is real gumbo. No totomatos,bell peppers, or chicken flavor. Jason-okra??? You are killing me.
                  Email sent cantexduck!

Comment

The Roux

I made my own roux for years and it took a long time to finally get to where I was consistant with it. I was finally given a tip to save a cup of chopped onions and when you get the roux to the color and consistency you want, throw in the remaining onions and this will stop/slow down the roux from getting to the "Start all over stage"
                    But the best tip I ever recieved was from a Cajun friend who introduced me to "SAVOYS Bottle Roux". You can find it in almost any store now and it's great! I haven't made a Roux from scratch since and I promise I can't make it any better! Best part is that it cuts your cooking time in half at least!

Comment

Savoy's roux is spelled Savoie's. Savoy is the "english spelling of my last name but back in La(french) it is spelled Savoie. It is the the better pre made roux you can get. I may be alittle bias but hey..............

Comment

Sounds good, might try some if I can ever get away to duck hunt.

I prefer my duck grilled with no seasoning...can't wrong that way IMO. In college we would get back from a hunt and grill up a few birds for a snack!

Comment

I checked "my" recipe earlier today to make up my "famous" gumbo. My son home from college and I shot 2 bull sprig and 2 gaddies yesterday, we should have both limited in 20+ mph wind in the refuge, but the dang shot was traveling in a curved path in the wind!

I'm going to hunt the Grey Lodge waterfowl refuge Sat/Sun with my son, he has his camper parked there for the season, I'm expecting to spend 2 nights with a bunch of 20-something duck hunters- I'll bring a big pot of duck gumbo, a couple loaves of bread and the remaining whitetail steaks from the deer in my avatar. Kind of thing that memories are made of.

Here's the original picture of us feasting on the gumbo behind my truck in the refuge parking lot- home away from home.

Comment

Bill is that your pet Mallard sitting beside ya?

Comment

My little friend Daffy?

We lived on the gumbo and a loaf of bread that weekend. Except the pizza Sat night sitting in a bar in Gridley (rice farming community) watching the New England-New York game with NE winning for an undefeated season.

Comment

Working...
                              X