Colorado Unit 86 Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Unit 86 Elk

Did anyone else get drawn for this unit? I drew first year applying for 4th season rifle either sex. Never hunted the unit. I have been in it some though. Lots of elk down low by the private. Not so much up high. Thinking of trying to scout Hayden pass and hermit pass in August.

No help for 86 but I got antlered muley and cow elk 2nd rifle in 33. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Got 3rd Rifle Deer in 75. Anyone ever been there?? I’ve only hunted 76,77,771 before.

Comment

I lived in 75 for years, if it snows up high it’s a great hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
          I lived in 75 for years, if it snows up high it’s a great hunt!
          Mind if I PM you? Don’t want any honey holes but never hunting that unit just a place to start would be great and maybe talk strategy.

Comment

Anyone done this 4th rifle season hunt before? I’m willing to bet, however not super sure, the elk are moved way down in elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
              Anyone done this 4th rifle season hunt before? I’m willing to bet, however not super sure, the elk are moved way down in elevation.
              I’ve hunted 4th season before (not in your unit)we got there a week early saw tons of animals. The snow game in and we watched them all move to private. Kinda of frustrating.

Comment

The Sangres will kick you in the dingding. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                  The Sangres will kick you in the dingding. :-D
                  Ya that’s what I have heard. I have hiked Hayden pass before and it was pretty rough. I have heard hermit is even worse.

Comment

Ya that’s what I have heard. I have hiked Hayden pass before and it was pretty rough. I have heard hermit is even worse.
                    I was in the Sangres with some other TBHers a few years ago and it was pretty tough. The elevation was a killer coming from TX.

Didn't have any luck so I have no advice other than pace yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by muley4x4 View Post
                      Mind if I PM you? Don’t want any honey holes but never hunting that unit just a place to start would be great and maybe talk strategy.
                      shoot me a pm, these are all 75/751 deer
                      Attached Files

Comment

Most of the units down that way, the elk are the last to move down. You will have a shift of elk from pretty high up, all the way down to the start of the winter range. I haven't hunted elk in this unit, but its all pretty much the same down there.

Get on the parks on wildlife website, find the migration routes away from the roads. Backpack in, get high and glass and hold tight. Elk move a ton and the orange army makes them move more!

Comment

Most of the units down that way, the elk are the last to move down. You will have a shift of elk from pretty high up, all the way down to the start of the winter range. I haven't hunted elk in this unit, but its all pretty much the same down there.

Get on the parks on wildlife website, find the migration routes away from the roads. Backpack in, get high and glass and hold tight. Elk move a ton and the orange army makes them move more!
                          Ya, I figured that would be the case lol. Thanks. Having a hard time finding the maps. Gonna try and look more after while.

Comment

Nvm I found some of the maps you were referring to. Mostly ones for winter grounds and severe winter grounds. Not to much in the way of migration routes, but it’s a dang good start. I’m not sure about whether or not they will be in those wintering grounds by mid November or not though. It’d be dang cool if they were... but I doubt it looks like they concentrate pretty heavily into a particular spot in that unit. Right where BLM and Sangre De Cristo meets public land down in those alfalfa field bottoms. Which is strange because I see them there in the late summer also. Some DANG good bulls in those alfalfa fields. Looks like it might be a pretty good hike up a drainage to get up into what looks like good terrain. I’m all about it though.

Comment

Does this mean I can hunt unit 691, 86, and 861?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X