2009 Laguna Atascosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Laguna Atascosa

Thought I'd start a thread for bowhunting reports for the archery hunt now underway. Hopefully the rain is done and the weather will be good for the rest of the hunt. I'm out with a couple of friends and we hunted the afternoon today. We saw some fresh tracks since last nights rain, but nothing in them unfortunately

Best of luck to all you TBH's out here this week!

Mark

Mark it was nice metting you at the laguna, hopefully tomorrow i will help you get your deer out of the woods, well what a day constantly raining, good for the ones that where out, I stayed in and am very excited about tomorrow, hopefully we will start seeing some pics,

Good Luck to all!!!!!!

Gerardo

Comment

My group saw two bucks, a couple of hogs and a doe today. Heard about a 4 pointer that came out of Area 1. We haven't been by the check station yet to check on the harvest to date. Bucks were early morning, hogs mid day and doe right at dusk.

Also heard about some doe sightings in the morning but none taken.

Hope all you TBHr's are seeing some and get a big 'un this week. Good Luck to ya.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by gerardo View Post
        Mark it was nice metting you at the laguna, hopefully tomorrow i will help you get your deer out of the woods, well what a day constantly raining, good for the ones that where out, I stayed in and am very excited about tomorrow, hopefully we will start seeing some pics,

Good Luck to all!!!!!!

Gerardo
        It was a pleasure to meet you as well. Hope you got your key situation straightened out today I saw your suburban was gone, so I assumed you did. Good luck tomorrow. Are you here for the whole hunt? We are planning to be here for the duration unless we get our deer sooner.

I got busted twice today. I was set up covering some trails and the deer came up from the thicket behind me on one of the trails. I had to pull my stand back about 10 more yards today and hope that I didn't spook 'em so bad they don't come back through.

Comment

also in unit 1 close to mark, A nilgai walked at 50 yds from my tripod, i was not to confident with the shot and even though he stoped i did not have a lot of time, also saw an 8 point buck trailing two does, these i saw from my parked truck in the clearing of unit 1.
          Good luck tomorrow seems like the weather is going to be ok tomorrow,

Gerardo

Comment

Also worthy to note that bucks and does are separate. No one I've spoken to have seen bucks chasing does yet. Tomorrow we'll make a trip to the check station and ask around. We're finding fresh scrapes (since Tuesday's rain) though.

Comment

( lost my car keys at unit 1)
              yes got the key situation out of the way!!!!

the locksmith came from harlingen to make a new key, that has never happened and it was an experience thanks for your help and support ,

i couldn't call you as my cel battery was out, hopefully i'll see you guys tomorrow

Comment

Seen 2 doe today at that's it. See what tomorrow brings us...good luck

Comment

Slow this morning. We didn't see anything so we moved to a different spot and tried some rattling around noon. We rattled up a nice 8 but got busted when he circled downwind of me and my buddies were on the other side. We saw 5 does and a forkhorn in the afternoon (not rattling) so it got a little more exciting.

We still haven't seen any bucks chasing or with does, but the bucks we have seen (including the ones in the cooler) are all swole up and ready.

The kill board at the check station plus what came in today is probably around 30 or so animals, deer, hogs and a couple of nilgai calf. One decent 8 point is in the cooler, with most everything else being doe, spike, etc. There were a couple of 8's and a 9 on the board.

Hopefully it won't rain too much tonight/tomorrow and the other areas will open up.

Comment

Wondering if anyone is seeing anything. We didn't today, but we only hunted the afternoon since the weather was cold, rainy and windy this morning. Saturday looks to be a nice day so maybe it will pick up.

Post up and let us know if we are the only ones not seeing deer

Comment

We didn't hunt this morning since one hunting buddy had to fly out headed home. We moved our stands in the afternoon and saw a nice 8 point, but no shot.

We haven't been to the check station in a couple days either, so I'm not sure what is happening in the other areas.

Comment

Wouldn't you know it. Slept in Saturday morning and checked the trail camera today. 7 pt, spike and doe came by while I was away! Figures don't it

Yesterday evening and this morning, I had an 8 point come by in another spot. He's staying in the thicket outside a low brush area. I moved my stand back in there today and hunted this evening, but he didn't show. We've got two more days and then time to head home......

Comment

Mark , good luck tomorrow on your hunt , sorry i couldn't find you to say goodbye, i had to come yesterday to a friends wedding so , here i am back home and my local hunting season is just starting so i'll be in touch ,

I didn't get a close shot opportunity and the days i had to hunt the laguna where reallly windy and wet so maybe next year will be different

Comment

I hunted Tues-Thurs and saw, a doe on Tuesday afternoon and a young 8 pt. that came in about 70 yards away and spooked a nice nilgai bull while walking out Wed. night. A doe and 2 yearling on Thursday morning and had my pop up and swivel chair stolen on Friday morning.
                            Last edited by Muddy Bud; 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Muddy Bud...that stinks. Sorry you lost your stuff. I saw a couple of bucks this morning, a small 8 and a real nice one. The big one was moving pretty quick. It may have been the same one that busted me last Wednesday. He cruising through stopped at the same tree (a scrape is there) that he busted me from (and I've moved my stand about 10 yards to more cover). Anyway, I was motionless. He stopped, looked over my way and I could barely see him, he stepped forward, emptied his lungs and hauled tail. Wind was in my favor too. I think he just saw the tripod and had enough years under his antlers to know the exit strategy. He was a nice one I tell ya, a big 8 at least, with heavy mass and tall tines. I've got one more chance tomorrow morning. I moved my stand again, 50 yards away more in the thicket. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X