No announcement yet.

Ask Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can trim most of the fat off and cook it like a steak. Good that way or you could brine it, and cube it up and use it like salt pork.

Thanks in advanced Travis. This is kind of general, but do you know of anything to do with duck that is decient? Besides throw it away. I have done the fried, jalapeno bacon wrapped, and duck gumbo, but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions? Thanks again, I appreciate you doing this thread!
    Duck is very tricky. The fat is extremely overpowering. Cooking whole wil be good but here is the trick. Take a knife and cut scores in the skin to ket some of the fat seap out. Season the duck with a little sage, salt and pepper. Take 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 jar orange marmalade, 1/4 stick butter and melt everything together in a stock pot. This will be your baste. Cut up one orange and one onion and shove it inside the cavity.

Place duck in 350 degree oven basting every 20 minutes. Should take about an hour and a half.

Comment

Travis, What is this LEM cheese and where do I get it. Also deh. peppers, where at?

Comment

Lem is a company. google them or go to my sausage thread its a special cheese that withstands higher temps before it melts.

dry peppers you can get from adamsextract.com, google it, or just use fresh

Comment

Lem also has the dehydrated peppers. I get a lot of stuff from them and so far everything has been great.

Comment

Travis -
            if you were going to learn how to make all of your dishes better, i.e., make REALLY good food, where would you go to start?

Comment

Follow the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. Use fresh ingredients and take it slow. Remember high on your stove is merely for boiling water. Remember that and you'll go along way. Have fun with it. People put to much stress on cooking. Just relax and cook. Do it with your friends and family and make it a fun time instead of work. No one is the perfect chef. But experience does wonders. Experiment away. Just think if it turns out bad you dont have to eat it again! Learn from your mistakes.

Oh and watch food network.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                You know anything about "hot sandwiches"? When I was younger we would come out the hay field and my grandmother would have "hot sandwiches" made. All I remember was ground beef...... My mom never got the recipe. They were germans..... worth a shot
                Are you talking about a "loose meat" style sandwich? A friend's mom used to make them all the time, called them German burgers.

Travis, she browned the ground beef, then added seasoning, mayo, dijon mustard, a little kraut, maybe (?), other stuff.

I've tried to replicate, no luck. Any ideas?

Comment

I'll give my grandmother in law a shout. If anyone she'll know.

Comment

I have one whole backstrap. What should I do with it? I want to impress a few people on Sunday funday tomorrow.

Comment

travis, your rum cake do you let it stay in the pan overnight?

Comment

Why don't dogs get brain freeze when they eat ice cream too fast?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Johnsonville Brats or Earl Campbells Hot Links??....

What are hotdogs made of?
                          Neither.....make the short drive to Syracuse Sausage in Ponder. Best brats around. Cracked black pepper is hard to beat.

Comment

Travis,
                            My wife made your chicken spaghetti this weekend and it was a hit with
                            everyone. She added 2 cans of mushrooms and an extra 1/2 bag of
                            Velvetta shreds, served it with garlic bread and it was a big hit with
                            everyone! Thanks again!

Comment

I have one whole backstrap. What should I do with it? I want to impress a few people on Sunday funday tomorrow.
                              Heath in all seriousness. The boudin stuffed backstrap that someone posted in the recipe page is a killer. It's crazy good. Other than that.

Marinate it overnight in lime juice and cilantro and a little salt and pepper grill it whole and shave it with a knife to make some killer taco fillings. serve with some quesadilla white cheese and a little guac.

Why don't dogs get brain freeze when they eat ice cream too fast?
                              Because it's your dog!---- Road Trip

Bowmansdad,

glad it worked out for ya!

Comment

I've always wondered about whether it is right or wrong to sear the outside of a hunk of meat with high heat first before slow cooking. What does it do or why should you not do it?

Comment

Working...
                                X