Yellowstone On A Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellowstone On A Budget

We're planning on a trip for the first week in June. We've already looked at airlines, rental cars, miles driven, etc., but I'd like to pick the brains on here who venture there more often and see what the best way to get there is, what we need to see while there, and an overall budget for general expenses.

We already have accommodations in Jackson taken care of, so we're talking transportation and expenses specifically. Thanks.

We drove. It saved some money. Then I played poker on the way up and lost $200 and played on the way back and won $1,300 So the trip ended up being real cheap.

IMO just get up early and drive around the park..And I mean super early. Maybe find a trail away from people that says beware of bears that way you don't see other people.

Avoid popular places at all costs mid day.

Comment

We went last year the same time as you're planning. We rented a minivan and drove it for less than what it would've cost for airfare for the 4 of us. Plus we got to do a lot of sight seeing on the way there and back.

Comment

we flew into Salt Lake City and drove. Be aware, Jackson is a ways from the park and once you get there it's another couple of hours to get to the north side. We stayed at the hotel next to Old Faithful for 2 nights then stayed in Jackson. It sure wasn't budget friendly though.

Comment

Salt Lake City and rented from there as well.

Comment

Yellowstone On A Budget

Shockvalue is spot on. We did the salt lake and drive as well. You will have two choices- up through Idaho and across Teton pass or into Wyoming and up to Jackson. We did both, one going and one on the way back. Neither is a stunning drive but some high wind areas through Idaho which made it incredibly unpleasant. One of the most stressful drives I have taken. Bad a few times but at one point wind out of nowhere blew the car onto the shoulder like nothing. Thank god it stopped before the dropoff. Wife woke up to me cussing praying and shaking not necessarily in that order lol.

Edit- Teton pass was a pretty drive and worth devoting an hour to if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
              we flew into Salt Lake City and drove. Be aware, Jackson is a ways from the park and once you get there it's another couple of hours to get to the north side. We stayed at the hotel next to Old Faithful for 2 nights then stayed in Jackson. It sure wasn't budget friendly though.
              This is absolutely correct. It is a ways from the major areas of the park. If staying in Jackson make sure to spend plenty of time in Teton National Park. Just a reminder, Jackson Hole and that whole area is receiving record breaking amounts of snowfall this winter, so some park roads may be opening much later than normal. Be prepared to rack up a lot of miles on the car. You're not going to want to drive back and forth everyday from Jackson.

Comment

As of now, we plan to fly into Salt Lake and drive up to Jackson by way of Idaho Falls. The flight is a little over a grand now for 4, whereas if we went straight to Jackson, it would be another $1,000. If we drove, we would spend around $350 to get there and back, but 4 days to do it there and back, and I'm not sure that's worth it.

We can't adjust accommodations, because they're free to use, so it's an easy trade off.

Comment

I will be there the same time as you, we rented a house in Gardiner Montana for the week. We stayed in Jackson a couple years ago around this time and drove to the west entrance one day and it was about a hour and half drive. The Tetons are beautiful and there is lots of wildlife just outside Jackson and in the Tetons. Nothing is cheap except the views. We packed a lunch and would find a scenic spot to park away from the crowds to eat lunch. Great time cant wait for June.

Comment

Working...
                  X