Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd problem.

Hi all,

I picked up a used Browning Adrenaline #30 for my 13 yo.

I bare shaft tuned the bow, it has a biscuit whisper, and dialed in the sight. Shot a good grouping

My son took it and it was shooting way to the left. So I adjusted the sight to the point where the sight is just barely being held on by the clamp???

I took a shot with it and at 20 yards I missed the 3' block by 2 feet. ???

He took my daughters browning #25, which I also setup, and he's able to hit the bull with it.

With his bow, if I put an arrow on it, and align the arrow, and string, I can see the sight is about 1" to the left.

I had him pull the bow back without an arrow, and told him to aim for my eye. Looks like he's aiming properly thought the peep.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks

Torquing the heavier bow.

He shoots the 25 lber just fine but the 30 he is not ready for yet so he struggles to get it all the way back and grips the grip tight in his hand..

That's making the arrow shoot way left...

You pulled it back and aimed well, no torque, and missed the target. As you should have.. Because the sight is WAY to far to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
      Torquing the heavier bow.

He shoots the 25 lber just fine but the 30 he is not ready for yet so he struggles to get it all the way back and grips the grip tight in his hand..

That's making the arrow shoot way left...

You pulled it back and aimed well, no torque, and missed the target. As you should have.. Because the sight is WAY to far to the left.
      My first thought is right on with what coach suggested. My son continually tries to convince me to turn his bow up (he's stuck on wanting to shoot at 30 lbs cause his friend shoots his at that) I turn it up a few cranks and his shots are off. Turn it back down and he's back on target

Comment

Check and see which eye is dominant , sounds like he might be left eye dominant.
        Ron

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Stick, I've already checked. He's right eye dominant.

Coach, Spoken,

Would having him shoot open hand resolve this issue?

Comment

It would certainly help. Remember just cause a bow is sighted in for one person doesn't mean it's sighted in for everyone. Everyone has different shooting styles even if it's just a slight difference

Comment

I think Coach is dead on. Have him shoot 4 or 5 feet from the target and really work on trigger squeeze. Put the sight back to being on point and start over. I would have him shoot like that until he is comfortable. Maybe even let him paper tune and see what the shots look like for you, then him

Comment

Originally posted by ggenovez View Post
                Thanks Guys,

Stick, I've already checked. He's right eye dominant.

Coach, Spoken,

Would having him shoot open hand resolve this issue?
                Certainly. When you draw back your bow relax your fingers. The bow will ride in your palm. Any finger tension will pull the bow to the left... Which is what you got here.

Practice, practice, practice... Instinctively when you draw a bow you put a death grip on it because of the force needed to draw... You have to convince him to relax.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Took it down a turn and a half and still had issues. Worked with his grip and we're getting much better.

Big issue is he's not locking his elbow and keeping his wrist straight.

Can't wait to bring the rabbit hunting on Saturday

Comment

Sorry I'm late on a response but coach once again said it. I would add try getting him to push and pull instead of just pulling back the string. for my son it helps him feel less of a need for a tight grip And improved his shooting

Comment

Working...
                    X