Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it me or the sight? when do you adjust the sight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it me or the sight? when do you adjust the sight?

bought a new sight and put it on the bow. shooting some okay groups but still not a tack driver like I'd like.

question: how can I tell that it's me fouling up the groups and when the sight needs to be adjusted? tips? it's not like I'm the greatest archer in the world. my tendency is to think I'm doing something wrong when the shot isn't exactly "on" but maybe my sight needs a tweak. ideas?

Make a horizontal and vertical line on your target. Elevation being horizonital. Aim for that line at desired yardages. Now aim at the vertical line and make your windage adjustments at desired yardages. If you are hitting the line then you should be good. What size pin are you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by 3pairs12 View Post
      Make a horizontal and vertical line on your target. Elevation being horizonital. Aim for that line at desired yardages. Now aim at the vertical line and make your windage adjustments at desired yardages. If you are hitting the line then you should be good. What size pin are you shooting?
      THis and once you've got it dialed in better, I like to get a "chereo" target about 2" across and really dial it in with this, caveat to this is ensure your taking breaks, I typically shoot no more that 15 arrows during a session. and mostly 12, give your body time to recover otherwise you be all over the place

Comment

Adjusting your pins does not effect "group size", only point of impact. You need to address group size first. That may be form, bow tune...what ever. Once you have acceptable groups, then you adjust you pin to POI.

Comment

The smaller the pins the smaller the groups esp at distances of 30 yards plus. I started with .o29 shot that for several years. Then o19 pins for a couple and now .010 for about a year with every switch my groups got tighter.

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post
            Adjusting your pins does not effect "group size", only point of impact. You need to address group size first. That may be form, bow tune...what ever. Once you have acceptable groups, then you adjust you pin to POI.
            X2

Comment

You first need to shoot good groups, once this has been done you can move the (sight pin) group. Don't try and do all of this at once.
              If you had good groups prior to the new sight then just take your time and be consistant with you form.

If you always had inconsistance groups before then new sight then you have other issue's , such as, bad form, bow torque, FOC is wrong, fletching contact, cams out of time, and wrongly spined arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post
                X3

Comment

Originally posted by leasecommander View Post
                  X3
                  x4

Comment

I can see adjusting a rifle scope(that is firmly mounted) to POI but how do you do that w/a bow? As soon as you release the arrow you are no longer aimed @ POI.

Comment

Don't give up !!! I tend to want to throw mine in the bushes

Comment

I can attest to Elmo throwing bow in the bushes...especially after he shot over a spikes back at 20 yards

Comment

Originally posted by txaggie90 View Post
                          I can attest to Elmo throwing bow in the bushes...especially after he shot over a spikes back at 20 yards
                          It wasn't a yearling spike on a high fenced ranch, was it?

Comment

For me, the biggest impediment to tight groups - especially when I haven't been shooting for a while - is consistent grip pressure. High grip, medium grip or low grip, pick one and stick to it. It's amazing how just the tiniest amount of pressure on a different part of the grip affects groups in a big way. Until I'm comfortable and shooting tight groups I do not adjust the sights. If I'm spraying arrows it's always me - not the sight.
                            Last edited by jerp; 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X