This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KJO Has anyone else had this Experince

Ok I am the first one to think about what I say before I say it but I also want to make others aware as well.

This last weekend we hunted Keith Johns Outdoors. I know that many others of you have as well and had very good experinces. I am just giving my perspective and want a little feedback so this doesn't happen to me again.

I looked on TBH and couldn't find a bad thing that any of you guys had to say about the place. Not one negative remark at all. Other than it was a hunt. Here is my point of view take it with a grain of salt but it is accurate and truthful.

We were pretty stoked about heading out there. Well that's bull we looked forward to it for a while. When we got down there we were greeted by Keith and Rodney. Keith was a stand up guy that was down to earth and is someone that anyone can get along. He's just a nice guy.

We were told that the hunting would be pretty tough. Well we wanted a hunt and not a shoot so this seemd like somthing that wasn't beyond us so we settled in a went out to hunt. There were 5 total hunters in camp and one guy that was goint to take some video. We set up in the stands that night and I'm pretty sure that no one had a animal in there package come to a feeder besides white tail, the white goat, and a donkey. I didn't see a thing other than dove. The next morning we sat in the stands again. We didn't see anything at all again that morning either. Then it was time for plan B. He did have some grass down there and there was stuff for them to eat. Plan B was grab a chair and set up in the woods somewhere. Why wouldn't there be pop up set up out there. He had to have known that the feeders weren't being hit in the day light hours. We were each given our assignments for the hunt. Again we really didn't see anything. I saw nothing. The ram hunter did get a shot at a ram but didn't connect. Sunday morning we were back to plan b. I mean come on what are the chance that a deer is going to walk by you in the woods with a chair camoed out? Again no shots. I'm sure at some points hunters get lucky and good animals are killed out there. No one even saw a hog they are nocturnal. The place is hunted 365 days a year. I am pretty sure that every animal that was seen was running 30 mph. By accounts He had a few out there but not seen.

Why wouldn't he have told us this before we booked. Are we the the only group that this ever happened to? Most ranches are hunted a few days a week right not every day? I just really feel like we were cheated out of 2000 $ between the group. Why would hogs be included if we don't even see them? I guess this ate me up all day long. I payed him but felt like that was the only time I was swindled out hunting. I'm not trying to bad mouth the guy because he is stand up but come on. Not one animal hit those feeders. Everything is shot at on a daily basis. We didn't even have chances to miss our opportunity was ZIP.

Is this how the bow only ranches are? Is it just over hunted? There were other TBH's there this weekend as well. Was this out of line?

We were told that the hunting would be pretty tough.
    Its not guaranteed first off and its really hard to believe that no one saw anything at all. I have been several times and not only was there hogs everywhere i killed one everytime plus the animal I was after. I have been when it was green all over and the huntin was hard but I also hunted long and I hunted hard and it paid off every time. its just weird to me that this is the only bad comment about Keiths. You have to sit tight as well. All I can say is if you feel like you were "swindled" Go to a diffrent ranch. Ill continue to go to Keiths and continue to bring home big exotics and pigs for cheap.

Comment

Not good. I would like to hear some feed back as well. I have a group of 4 planned to go in April and I know a group of 8 going in March. I had this same experience on a day hunt in South Texas. To me there was way too much preasure, but then again I didn't want to pay a ton of money to shoot a good whitetail. So I tried the day lease thing. Better luck next time!

Comment

I've only been once but I had a great time. I got a shot at a fallow but missed. My dad went with me just to take pictures. He had recently had shoulder surgery and couldn't draw a bow. He was covered up with fallow and sika everyday with a pretty good sprinkling of blackbuck and does as well. I didn't have the luck seeing animals he did but I did see hogs, I just didn't get a shot opportunity. Sorry to hear you didn't get what you were after. I plan on going back in the next couple of months and see if I can shoot straight this time.

Comment

Im with the others and cant imagine that nothing was seen. I did write something awhile back about the chances of taking an exotic other then a blackbuck or a ram but I still have nothing bad to say about the place. When I went I was able to take a decent blackbuck and shortly after saw 2 very nice ones. But other then that I didnt see any exotic bucks on stand. But never did I sit for very long without seeing something. I never saw a pig while on stand either. I will go back for sure. Its a great place with a lot of animals and for the price I dont think it can be beat.

Comment

He did say we had to hunt and that's what we did! We sat in stand until 11 every morning and back out in the woods at 1230 until dark, that's not a lie. We sat all day. All the corn that spun out and addititional the kj put out was still there the day we left, matter of fact the feeders had solid yellow under them when we arrived. I honestly felt like saving time Sunday and driving home instead of sitting along a creek watching grass grow. Maybe other times are better, but I asked him if the hunting is good right now, he already had my deposit, so he knew I was going and he still said yes! All he said was you have to hunt. We did! I'm not the type of hunter that has to shoot something in stand, but I am the hunter that likes observing animals while I sit. I never got this opportunity. i. Want to go on another hunt but somewhere else but I'm put off by what I read and maybe everywhere is like this.

Comment

We had two people on the field, my dad was one and another guy that was on a ram hunt. The guy on the ram hunt missed one at forty. That's the only time he got a shot. My dad saw a few far off. I'm not even mad about it I know its hunting and it happens, just not to 5 hunters in 4 hunts, who sat on stand all day! Take it how you want it, I just hope you don't believe us and go for yourself. A guy brought a guy to film, he slept in Sunday! He didn't even turn his camera on. Lol.

Comment

Hatfield, I'm glad I'm not the only one that expects to see animals on a paid hunt.

I haven't hunted KJO, only because I've had a bad taste in my mouth for the "hunt fee only" type ranches after several trips like yours, where I didn't see a single animal while on the stand.

There's a thread going right now about trophy fees, I explain my view in there, in more detail.

I'm not saying KJO is good or KJO is bad, but that's just the chance you take on those type hunts.

Comment

So why does one of you say nothing at all was seen, no one even drew there bow this and that and the other says diffrent? Oh well I know what happens when I go. Sorry you guys had a bad experience.

Comment

Im just glad someone has the guts to come on here and actually share their experience's on here, and not just when they are a positive experience. Not everyone is going to have an A+++ experience whenever they do business with anyone. I think with all the threads being positive on here about KJO that it has made some hesitant to post their experience if it wasnt a great one. I also dont think that everyone should question his experience because he had the guts to post on here what it was to him.

I appreciate the reviews, good and bad about day leases, and know that for every 10 positive posts, there should be a negative one as well. Thanks for the review.

Comment

First off let me say that it's a bummer you guys didn't get any shots on the animals you were after.

Now let me add this...... I have been hunting Keith's place for a few years now. And personally I have NEVER been there and not seen animals. I actually take quite a few folks out there for their first hunts. Why would I take them to (or recommend a place) that there are not animals?

We all have our opinions, and that’s cool. Don’t think of my post as a bash on you or your group. But before anyone is accused of swindling someone out of their hard earned money…. Let’s just be sure the whole story is out there. And like said before, it blows that things didn’t work out but I honestly do not think it was for lack of effort on Keith’s part.
                      Last edited by Devin; 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: Secondhand information removed

Comment

Originally posted by doubleplay43 View Post
                        Im just glad someone has the guts to come on here and actually share their experience's on here, and not just when they are a positive experience. Not everyone is going to have an A+++ experience whenever they do business with anyone. I think with all the threads being positive on here about KJO that it has made some hesitant to post their experience if it wasnt a great one. I also dont think that everyone should question his experience because he had the guts to post on here what it was to him.

I appreciate the reviews, good and bad about day leases, and know that for every 10 positive posts, there should be a negative one as well. Thanks for the review.
                        I agree.... If you had a bad experience by all means post it. But like I had mentioned, just be sure that the whole story is told as to WHY you had a bad experience.

IMO and it's just my opinion........ but if you do things you know you shouldn't do, then you yourself caused a bad experience.

Comment

Very well said.

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
                            I agree.... If you had a bad experience by all means post it. But like I had mentioned, just be sure that the whole story is told as to WHY you had a bad experience.

IMO and it's just my opinion........ but if you do things you know you shouldn't do, then you yourself caused a bad experience.
                            I agree 100%. I dont claim to know both sides of the story or have any experience with KJO...Ill stay out of this one!

Comment

Were any of the guys in the group walking around??

Comment

Working...
                              X