Interview with victim of Wyoming bear attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    Well of course....everyone is a "young fella" when you're making the determination.
    Not me!

Comment

i know you're new around here, but i believe the correct term is "pulling it out of their ***", sir. If they don't have all the facts, they'll just make them up.:d
      lol! :d:d:d
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
        Not me!
        #sandwichmaker

Comment

Well of course....everyone is a "young fella" when you're making the determination.

Don't make me have Mary send you to the cooler.

uh...wait!

Comment

#sandwichmaker
            🤣🤣🤣

Comment

#sandwichmaker

Sammichmaker. Whats a sandwich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Piecing it together here's what I suppose happened:

Guide and hunter were handling the carcass and the sow caught them by surprise
                Sow attacks hunter first giving the guide just enough time to break out bear spray
                Hunter escapes and bear attacks guide
                Hunter finds guide's pistol, but doesn't know how to use it so he tosses it to the guide
                Hunter runs to horses and rides to ridge to call for help

When dad is interviewed he embellishes the story to protect his son and cast him in the best light possible. Attack on horseback and bear knocking pistol out of hand clearly did not happen.

What ever the case - what a terrible tragedy. Hopefully, knowledge gained from the investigation will save a life in the future.

Prayers for all families involved.

Comment

I’ve really have been trying to piece all this together and with interviews and updates here is what I gather. The grizzly attacked Mark the guide first. The hunter went to grab the guides pistol and the grizzly then went after him grabbing his leg. Mean while Mark who had already been attacked was yelling at the bear trying to get its attention off the hunter. The bear went back after Mark again and COrey with pistol in hand frantically tried to shoot the bear but couldn’t get the gun to work because there wasn’t a round chambered. Corey hit the button that drops the mag out and then tosses the gun in the direction of Mark who is being mauled and proceeds to run up hill returning to where horses were tied up. He hopped on his horse and flees the scene. Mark was able to deploy bear spray on the sow and get her off of him. As CHRIS made his way up the mountain his last view of Mark was him standing off with the sow. No one knows what happened after that. Mark was found not far uphill from the scene, maybe trying to make his way to his horse. There were not signs of dragging. The sow must have came in for a second attack after bear spray.
                  Last edited by Stevotary; 09-24-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Beautiful tribute from Mark’s brother in law. Too amazing not to share!

“Well, there are some things a man can’t run away from”~~John Wayne

We buried Mark Uptain, my brother in law, yesterday. He died from wounds he sustained while saving a man’s life during a grizzly bear attack. He had a chance to save himself after being attacked first and surviving that attack, but the bear went after the hunter, so Mark re engaged the bear...According to the deputy sheriff we talked to, Mark went Mike Tyson on that bear, standing toe to toe and fighting a sow grizzly with a yearling cub with her...There have been questions of why wasn’t there a gun, there was, the clip was dropped out of the gun before it was tossed in Marks direction and a round had never been chambered. What about bear spray? That was used also, an entire can was empty...It just wasn’t enough...I believe Mark died where he wanted to, sooner than he wanted to. He was an amazing father, he was a Christian, he loved his family, he loved the truth, and he died a hero.
                    ‘Greater love has no one than this, than one lay down his life for his friends’ John 15:13

Here is Update from brother in law speech at funeral:

I’m sorry I didn’t know you as well as some others in your life, but I feel like I’ve known you my whole life and I hope that I can take this tragedy and turn it into something positive.

‘Every man dies, but not every man really lives’~~William Wallace

You really lived Mark...you really lived...Until we meet again...RIP

Comment

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but here is the official Wyoming Game and Fish report on what happened. They even drew the scene out.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d2beb...4cfd867a54.pdf

Comment

Some scary stuff. I still cant get over that the hunter was okay with running and leaving the guide behind and never going back to check or find him or anything, just told the dispatcher "he might be dead" and just left it at that waiting for his extraction for some time.

Comment

I hate the thought of that poor man lying there alone, waiting to die. It seems like it was fairly quick, but still. Knowing the pos that he was guiding tucked his tail and ran away when he could have helped save him. Still such a sad situation.
                          Last edited by solocam_aggie; 04-08-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

You know, being under duress will do strange things to some men. A few years ago we were hunting mule deer in northern New Mexico and the camp we had chosen had fresh deer carcasses close by. We drug them off a ways and set up camp. Later that night we heard noise behind one of the tents. A couple of guys went to investigate and found a large black bear that had been attracted to that meat. The bear was not threatening in any way. One of the guys was a CHL holder and he could not pull the slide back no matter how hard he tried. He was shaking so bad. The bear just left on is own after we shined the light on him.

Comment

Wow bears came from down wind. She hunted them

Comment

How do you not know how to operate a Glock and how do you tuck tail and leave your partner behind.

Comment

Working...
                                X